ADVERTISEMENT

Game Observations

satnom

All American
Jun 29, 2002
- RU makes half of free throw attempts and cuts half of turnovers this a close game
- Man do we need a sharp shooter. Would unclog the entire middle
- Corey needs to develop a left hand layup shoot going to his left
- Corey works his butt off on D
- Freeman battles but needs to head fake or shoot more from 5-10 ft out. He's not tall enough to go over the trees in the BIG without hesitation.
- Gettys, Omiyouri, and Diallo need to cut down on mental errors with the ball. A ton of bad passes into the post and outside the arc.
- Did I say we need shooters to open the middle and stop these 5 plus min scoring droughts? Hopefully Thiam can develop shot like his he's 6'9" instead of 5'11"
- Our free throw shooting is horrendous. Needs to improve asap.
- We need a home victory bad.

RU is headed in the right direction. Really like Coach Pike and staff.

GO RU

Reactions: AD888 and goru7
- RU makes half of free throw attempts and cuts half of turnovers this a close game
- Freeman battles but needs to head fake or shoot more from 5-10 ft out. He's not tall enough to go over the trees in the BIG without hesitation.
- Gettys, Omiyouri, and Diallo need to cut down on mental errors with the ball. A ton of bad passes into the post and outside the arc.
- Did I say we need shooters to open the middle and stop these 5 plus min scoring droughts? Hopefully Thiam can develop shot like his he's 6'9" instead of 5'11"

GO RU
Your first two points, without question. Indiana did not impress me. I thought they would be the cream of the crop this year, and I can count at least four teams better than they are. FT shooting was once again atrocious as were TO's. Make even 70% (Is that really too much to ask?) and limit the TO's and we would have been in this game until the final moments.

And, good lord, do we need to learn to secure the ball when we rebound on the defencive end. Freaking CYO.

If only there was a staff teaching these players all the things they "need" to do.

Or . . . Maybe RU is just thoroughly outmanned and these and many other things are what you see when that's so.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac

GO RU

Help is on the way...

- Baker can shoot & open up the middle
- Mensah can play the point & relieve Sanders; Williams, Sanders & Johnson will be more effective as natural combo guards
- A developed Thiam will also open up the middle

They need to see & practice 2 handed underhand free throw shooting. Everyone cites FT's as a glaring weakness, but doesn't seem to see the value of the aforementioned style.

They need to see & practice 2 handed underhand free throw shooting. Everyone cites FT's as a glaring weakness, but doesn't seem to see the value of the aforementioned style.
There are two 5'7" guards on the Women's team who are shooting over 90%. Another was shooting barely over 30%, but in yesterday's game, she made 8 of 11. She's been spending extra time after practice shooting free throws. Practice makes perfect. What surprises me about the men is how many misses are off to one side, not long or short.

Help is on the way...

- Baker can shoot & open up the middle
- Mensah can play the point & relieve Sanders; Williams, Sanders & Johnson will be more effective as natural combo guards
- A developed Thiam will also open up the middle
Your comments are based on wishful thinking and not supported by facts.Johnson was supposed to be the go to scorer this season based on comments by Eddie Jordan.

There are two 5'7" guards on the Women's team who are shooting over 90%. Another was shooting barely over 30%, but in yesterday's game, she made 8 of 11. She's been spending extra time after practice shooting free throws. Practice makes perfect. What surprises me about the men is how many misses are off to one side, not long or short.
Correct. Not all misses are equal and most times there is no concentration before the attempt.

Johnson...didn't everybody who saw him in practice say he was the best player (at least tthe best guard) on the team? I'd need three posts just to list all the superlatives. Well, I guess he's the basketball version of Laviano.

If the misses are like that, then the mechanics of foul shot shooting are inconsistent and not mastered. Like archery, bowling, pistol shooting, etc., the same exact motions must be executed every time. After developing the skill set, the demands become more like 10% physical & 90% mental. You can only put yourself in the zone if you practice the correct mechanics constantly so that game time actions are automatic as well as precise.

Once more
Sa.............0-3
Johnson...0-3
Doorson....0-0
Diallo........1-2
Omaruyi ...1-2
Thiam........1-2
Williams ....2-5
...................5-17
7 guys....5 buckets

Your comments are based on wishful thinking and not supported by facts.Johnson was supposed to be the go to scorer this season based on comments by Eddie Jordan.

strongly agree, just saying things will get better is based on no evidence especially when the PG coming in next year is not highly thought of or a shooter, this team will be similar next year, perhaps getting a couple of more conference wins but probably less non conference wins with a tougher schedule.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Johnson...didn't everybody who saw him in practice say he was the best player (at least tthe best guard) on the team? I'd need three posts just to list all the superlatives. Well, I guess he's the basketball version of Laviano.

thats why I do not bother to listen to all this hype before a player plays. We also heard that Justin Goode was the best shooter on the team. Listen there is a reason that certain guys are not highly recruited and highly rated. Johnson was okay at KSU but nothing in his stats there screamed he would be anything more than an okay guard but nothing special which has been proved, todays no show after he has been in a slump has erased any of those ideas that he was Magic Johnson like EJ was touting him as. Now we are supposed to believe that an underrecruited Baker and a total never heard of PG are going to impact the team next year.

Indiana was ripe for the taking. We blew it. And we blew it b/c we're playing a bunch of guys w low b-ball IQs compared to our opponents. Poor shot selection, turnovers, FT shooting, mental mistakes aplenty. With less than 1 year under Pike and staff, our guys are too far behind the curve to win games like today's. That's the reality.

bac....that's the exact point I was making. Posters like RUJMM78 conveniently forget forget the tremendous hype Johnson was receiving. I may be wrong, but I believe the coaching staff as well were salivating over him.

thats why I do not bother to listen to all this hype before a player plays. We also heard that Justin Goode was the best shooter on the team. Listen there is a reason that certain guys are not highly recruited and highly rated. Johnson was okay at KSU but nothing in his stats there screamed he would be anything more than an okay guard but nothing special which has been proved, todays no show after he has been in a slump has erased any of those ideas that he was Magic Johnson like EJ was touting him as. Now we are supposed to believe that an underrecruited Baker and a total never heard of PG are going to impact the team next year.

The scary part is that using scholarships on these players makes me think they don't have much of a chance for the better ones. This is just more of what we have. I was hoping pikiell and these highly-thought of assistants would bring in at least one highly rated recruit for 2017.

And what lesson have you learned about paying attention to that nonsense?

Corey Sanders was the only positive today.
Sanders had a great first half with 15 points but only scored 2 points in the second half.Add in the fact that Johnson scored 0 points for the entire game and these two players are supposed to lead Rutgers in scoring.Eight of the twelve players getting minutes scored 4 points or less.The stats are frightening and are getting worse as the season progresses against league competition.

RUJMM, do you think that maybe Indiana concentrated on Sanders in the 2nd half? Needed Johnson to do something and he was terrible.

Reactions: soundcrib
ADVERTISEMENT