ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread. RU vs Minnesota 2/17/21

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
7PM on BTN+
Minnesota freshman Alexia Smith and Rutgers freshman Sakima Walker were high school teammates at Africentric Early College in Columbus, Ohio. They won two state titles together and reached the state semifinals in 2020 before COVID-19 ended the season early.

Good chance for another W tonight and continued climb into March. Wonder if there's any thought to making up any games IF it could be a difference maker ..? ( my guess is not likely)

Good chance for another W tonight and continued climb into March. Wonder if there's any thought to making up any games IF it could be a difference maker ..? ( my guess is not likely)
You are probably correct, but I hope you are wrong.

More players off the bench tonight. Sakima Walker, Chyna Cornwell, Stephanie Guihon and Liz Martino (who was helped off the court after hurting a leg) all seeing time in the first half.
RU up 38-28 at the half.

38-28 RU up at half. Hate to keep using all the superlatives, but Diamond is just so, so, good. Even Brogno compared her to Cappie!
Totally different players seeing time this game. Sakima,Guhian, Martino, and Cornwell

I guess too many people watching on their computers so not posting.
Have to make the Gopher center go to her right when she is on the left low block.
She is too good going left and banking it in. Must overplay and make her go right and she will probably give it up

Takia Mack's routine wouldn't have gone over very well in my day. That said Go RU.

60-39 end of 3rd. Quite the explosion by RU. This team is just such a joy to watch. Tekia is such a lunatic, makes me laugh out loud.

This team is just a joy to watch. Love all the coaches jumping around on sidelines as well. Zippy was walking around, with no boot on I believe.

Reactions: MADHAT1
RU was only up by about 11 with 4min to go in the 3rd quarter, but then, just like in 3rd quarter of Purdue game, the press took over, Minnesota became overwhelmed, and suddenly RU was up 20+. The thing with the press is that you may be able to handle it for some part of the game, but when RU plays it for nearly 40min, it only gets harder.

Tekia Mack's stat line: 12pts, 8 rebounds, 8 steals. Wow.

CVS went to bench much more in first half with both Singleton and Gilles in foul trouble. Both Chyna and Sakima had freshmen moments (Sakima had 4 tos, pretty much all unforced), but they show flashes of real promise, and I'm very excited for their development.

Arella was Arella (She again led the team with 7 assists).

And what else can you say about Diamond.

I will say, I think having Mael on the floor is so key, she's a glue player that keeps things humming on both ends of the court.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
The fact that the team is doing this without their starting PG in Zippy is super impressive. Before her injury, Zippy was having a break out season: 11.3ppg, 4.3apg, 3:1 A/to ratio; 47.7%FG, 34.5% 3-pt. I'll note that the team's last two losses (Iowa and Nebraska) were also their first with Diamond as the starting PG (Zippy was injured 5min into Iowa game).

The 55 has been even tougher with Tekia on the inbounder, taking that over from Mael. As someone mentioned above, I agree that Mael is the glue, the unsung hero. And what more can be said about Tekia. I don’t remember the last time a player made me smile so often. So intense and competitive, and also quick to help someone up off the floor.

While I have not watched them play, they seem to have come back from the long COVID break playing their best basketball. Hopefully they will be on the main BTN channel soon so more can take a look.

Saturday at noon, against Illinois, is on regular BTN. If this team continues to play defense like this, WITH such great offensive output, they will be a very tough out. RU has always played great defense, but as we know, some past teams have had trouble scoring. With two incredible scorers in Arella and Diamond, and lots of great play from others, they can go far...very far. (That loss at Nebraska seems so long ago ...and inexplicable...)

Reactions: RUClassof67
With Tyia in foul trouble it was good to see Chyna and Sakima get some good minutes they could form a very good twin tower next year

Saturday at noon, against Illinois, is on regular BTN. If this team continues to play defense like this, WITH such great offensive output, they will be a very tough out. RU has always played great defense, but as we know, some past teams have had trouble scoring. With two incredible scorers in Arella and Diamond, and lots of great play from others, they can go far...very far. (That loss at Nebraska seems so long ago ...and inexplicable...)
Nebraska can be a dangerous team too. They have beaten NW twice and gave Ohio State (ranked 15) one of their three losses. Yes, we should have beaten them, but there are not "gimmes" in the Big Ten.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
Rutgers scoring over 70 points a game is something fans have been hoping for many years.

Rutgers scoring over 70 points a game is something fans have been hoping for many years.
Not I. My hope has always been - 1 more than the other guy. I don't care if that is 45, as long as there is a "W".

Nor does scoring over 70 guarantee everything. Years ago I remember RU having a huge scoring day and losing and CVS having a fit because they had worked too much on offense and not enough on defense in her opinion.

That said, having talented players who can play together, score 70 and bring the defense - yes, I'll vote for that.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Interestingly, what CVS said in her presser she cares most about is turnovers--both how few RU has, and how many they force. I believe RU is in the top 10 in the country in TO margin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT