ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Rutgers Women's Basketball Readies to Host No. 16/17 Maryland

Feel bad for the girls they are playing their butts off but are just not talented enough and I don’t think we will win another game this year

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Agreed that on most nights, we are going to be facing teams with more developed and/or deeper talent. Our women are giving their all every night and hopefully that continues throughout the season.

That said, they can still clean up a lot of the messy play that we have seen. They must! They are talented enough to be able to pass effectively. They often seem to be slow to get in the proper spots or slow to make the right pass.. Locking in fundamentally, and playing as one unit can make them much more competitive and more appealing to potential recruits.

Feel bad for the girls they are playing their butts off but are just not talented enough and I don’t think we will win another game this year
I said basically the same thing last night. I really like these ladies, and they play hard every minute they are out there. They must be exhausted with the minutes they are playing. As most know my feelings about Coach Frese are a bit negative. Don't think we stand a chance, but hey that's why you play the games.
Kaylene IMO is one of the, most talented frosh we have had in a long time, pray that she stays, and nobody like the Brenda poaches her.

So disappointed that coach opted to just give up on this year and asked us, the fans, to "pray" for the team as she decided to go with 8 players. Lack of a point guard is killing us. I agree the team is trying hard and not giving up but they are seriously undermanned. I fear that lack of any success in the Big ten will impact recruiting but I hope that's not the case. I guess we just have to pray.

Reactions: RUcrazee
I'm not optimistic, but Wisconsin, whom we play twice, looks fairly dreadful. Minnesota and Northwestern haven't proven themselves as any good, but because of our limited players and the other factors I'm not sure we can take them. That said, anyone else would be a monumental upset.

So disappointed that coach opted to just give up on this year and asked us, the fans, to "pray" for the team as she decided to go with 8 players. Lack of a point guard is killing us. I agree the team is trying hard and not giving up but they are seriously undermanned. I fear that lack of any success in the Big ten will impact recruiting but I hope that's not the case. I guess we just have to pray.
I want to trust that Coach knows what she's doing for the long term. Recruiting is a huge worry for me too. I know it's early, and we need to be patient. We all expected that the rebuild would take time.

Personally, I just always felt like the rebuild could happen sooner rather than later. Still feel that way. A recent coaching development kinda explains the way i have viewed our prospects for a reset.

Different sport but the attitude and approach to rebuilding is one that I would have preferred CW, applied, at least in part. Talking about Deion Sanders taking over at Colorado. I'm not for everything in his approach, but the way that he sells the program as elite before he has even stepped foot on the campus is something I think CW could have done when taking over here at RU. The fact that RUWBB actually has the history and tradition that it does probably makes it easier for her to pull it off. She could have come in swinging for the fences in recruiting. Selling RU as the Metro area "jewel" as CVS envisioned when she came. CVS actually was on the brink of it being that around the time that Fab 5 group decided to come. Yes, we all know how it worked out from there, but fact still remains,...the area and school's infrastructure just lends itself to RU being set up to be just that....a "jewel". We are a sleeping giant right now.

By coming in with an attitude that we were at some abysmal place and it's going to take years to rebuild, pretty much dooms you to that kind of reality. It sends that message to recruits who may have been ready/willing (Zoe) to consider us right now, like some of the 5-star recruits that Deion has buying in/committing to his vision. He hasn't proven anything on a P5 level yet as a coach,....but they are buying in to his vision. He is also playing up the school's infrastructure.

I can't really say that I have a clear picture of any vision that has been presented for our program. All that really stuck with me is that we are going to play fast and score points.

Someone still needs to make the videos that properly introduce our staff to the young recruits out there, who probably have no idea of the professional achievement of our women coaches. I'm telling you,... just making it more well known that Coquese played in the W by showing some footage,....That could snag an elite prospect or two by itself, possibly. Same goes for Tasha. Somebody! Show some footage of her quarterbacking those great RU teams. B1G Network is not going to do the job for us. Get the viewing rights worked out and put it on Coach's podcast show or something.

I was watching Duke play (and beat) NC State the other day. Kara Lawson has come into a similar situation where a once proud program had fallen down considerably. Her first season, they didn’t have enough players and sat out the season (height of Covid) yet she still snagged a key recruit - Celeste Taylor from Texas - in the portal the next year. They weren’t great last season (year 2) but respectable. This year, half her roster and most of her rotation is from the portal - all kids from big conference schools who are contributing. Year 3 she is beating ranked teams and is 12-4.

My point is that Coach Washington can do this for Rutgers by being aggressive in the portal to be competitive. Then you can attract the elite high school talent.

PS NC State lost 4 starters last season - replaced most of them with portal kids. And of course the got Diamond from RU the prior year.

Reactions: RUcrazee
I always strive to be the voice of reason, good and bad.

Yes, @RUcrazee if the Fab Five had worked out I think there would have been a different history from that point.

On the other hand - it is a mixed bag. I wouldn't be shocked if the videos you are requesting - or something similar - exist. Current players were not watching when Tasha, CW or Nikki McCray for that matter were playing.

However, current recruits were very, very young when Rutgers was in the FF. It was a while ago. And it is difficult to paint Rutgers as elite, we never really made that status (we were very, very good for a while but elite teams do not make only 2 Final Fours in 7 (or, ultimately, 40) years) and I'm pretty sure our AIAW Natty has no relevance to the players.

The portal is of great importance, as @eso1989 states. However, you cannot compare Kara Lawson to Coach Washington - she was a face of WBB in the broadcast booth, has coached in the NBA, head coach of Olympic 3x3, gold medal in Women's Basketball (2008) and etc. And whether Duke was "that much" better than Rutgers historically is debatable, but it is a perception and Duke has a few other positives going for it.

I wouldn't be shocked if the videos you are requesting - or something similar - exist. Current players were not watching when Tasha, CW or Nikki McCray for that matter were playing.
That is the point of the videos....to introduce them to the young recruits of today who likely don't know who our coaches really are in the basketball world. If all they see/know is the recent coaching results of the last few years, I'm concerned it won't garner much interest. Yes, I'm sure there is footage out there but it would need to be adapted into a promotional video for our current program.
However, current recruits were very, very young when Rutgers was in the FF. It was a while ago. And it is difficult to paint Rutgers as elite, we never really made that status (we were very, very good for a while but elite teams do not make only 2 Final Fours in 7 (or, ultimately, 40) years) and I'm pretty sure our AIAW Natty has no relevance to the players.
I wouldn't get caught up in the "elite" team debate when painting the vision of what RUWBB has been. Whether you say yes or no to that doesn't change the fact that the team was no stranger to the Top 20 rankings. That, in my opinion validates presenting the program as one with a proud history and tradition. Two Hall of Fame coaches.

Granted that alone won't impress youngsters, but we can't forget that we have current high-profile representatives that, although they are CVS kids, still continue to put the RU name out there to youngsters. At that point, it's up to the current staff to present a clear vision of how they plan to build on the prior foundation so we will be seen as a viable option for recruits.

Even more than just looking to use program history, you have location in your favor with nice facilities. Kids today, and always actually, have had a thing about regional pride. "Representing" home well. It is what Schiano tried to do to build the first go round and is trying to repeat. Keeping Jersey home. Expand that message to include the tristate area that includes NJ, NY, and PA(Del. too). Also, over the last couple of years, there is this current trend of kids transferring back close to home .

Again....I refer to Deion Sanders. If that's his vision and what he wants to happen, you are going to hear him tell you loud and direct. He will speak his vision directly to the recruits (collectively) at any opportunity, postgame interview, team promotional media, social media, etc. He is inviting the best to come and he may not get everyone but he made them at least ponder his vision.

You never know who will buy in if the vision isn't put out there for them to ponder it. They may laugh at it , dismiss it, or whatever.........OR........they may just relate to it.

Quote #1 from Q that I don't care for, "asked the fans to pray, umm, nope."

Last edited:
Yes! YES! YES!

There's that fight we're accustomed to seeing from an RU team. Hope they can stay locked in and maintain the intensity and discipline.

Reactions: Esipos1 and MADHAT1
22 TOs aren't something to brag about, but was less than I expected against Maryland the way RU seems to have gotten rid of the ball without wanting to in previous games.
I'd wait till next season for Jillian to play, but the experience gained this year might make my way of thinking ( get more used to the college game , and be ready to handle it, without losing a year) wrong and she might just help steal a game if her play reduces TOs.

I'm impressed with the never give up attitude this team has.
Losing isn't fun, but won't knock the hustle this team gives and it's never say die Spirit.

Last edited:
Did an excellent job of fighting back into the game. Lots of growth still needed in regard to sustaining the high level of play longer.

One thing that should really benefit us next year......the ball-handling our wings are having to do should make them more complete when they are able to go back to the wing.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT