Jan 15, 2003
Only 60% of the top 25 upsets today were in the Big Ten

B1G

#9 Maryland 79 Penn State 67 – Terps bounce back from Michigan State loss
#22 Iowa 94 Illinois 75 – Gustafson had 27 and 12 for the Hawkeyes
Nebraska 63 #23 Minnesota 57 – Big Red gets back to .500
Purdue 56 #25 Indiana 53 – close all the way
Michigan 62 Ohio State 58 – big 4th quarter comeback for the Wolverines
Northwestern 72 Wisconsin 46 – not really close, but closer than final score suggests

Other RU opponents

#8 North Carolina State 70 Virginia Tech 61 OT – Wolfpack now 18-0
LSU 62 Alabama 56 – Lady Tigers break 2-game losing streak

Other ranked teams

#1 Notre Dame 92 Boston College 63 – never particularly close
#2 Baylor 79 West Virginia 47 – big 2nd quarter for the Bears
#4 Louisville 73 Wake Forest 49 – not close, but not quite the expected blowout
#5 Oregon 93 Arizona 60 – Ionescu set NCAA records with 16th triple double for the Ducks
#6 Stanford 85 Washington State 64 – 900th career win for VanDerveer
#19 Arizona State 79 #10 Oregon State 76 2OT – game of the day
Georgia Tech #12 Syracuse 55 – Yellow Jackets outscored Orange by 12 in the 4th
#14 Marquette 83 St. John’s 73 – Golden Eagles 7-0 in BEast
Seton Hall 84 #24 DePaul 73 – tough loss for the Blue Demons

Also

Quinnipiac 55 Canisius 42 – Bobcats go to 6-0 in MAAC
North Dakota State 69 North Dakota 57 – big game in Fargo
Florida State 66 Duke 62 – Blue Devils are 8-9(!), 0-5(!!) in ACC
Miami 76 North Carolina 68 – Tar Heels are 10-9, 1-4(!) in ACC
Southern California 72 UCLA 67 – teams are a combined 3-9 in P12 play

Today:

B1G: 0-0
Other RU opponents: 1-1

Year to date:

B1G: 109-37
RU opponents: 99-72

There were no palindromic scores in 53 games today. There have been 24 palindromic scores in 3,024 games so far this year. It’s been eight excruciating days since the last palindromic score.

Reactions: MADHAT1
#19 Arizona State 79 #10 Oregon State 76[thumb2]
Seton Hall 84 #24 DePaul 73:thumbsdown:

#900 for Tara at Stanford. She is one of the half dozen WCB coaches over 1000 (#2 behind Pat Summit).

Taking this tangent, CVS should catch and pass Hatchell this year. That will make me very happy since I still can´t believe Hatchell was credited for all the wins when she was out a season because of illness. For years, CVS was in second place behind Summitt (before the rough patch). It was painful seeing Tara then Geno (especially) and Sylvia (¿on the same day?) pass her in total wins.

#900 for Tara at Stanford. She is one of the half dozen WCB coaches over 1000 (#2 behind Pat Summit).

Taking this tangent, CVS should catch and pass Hatchell this year. That will make me very happy since I still can´t believe Hatchell was credited for all the wins when she was out a season because of illness. For years, CVS was in second place behind Summitt (before the rough patch). It was painful seeing Tara then Geno (especially) and Sylvia (¿on the same day?) pass her in total wins.
It wasn't painful seeing Tara or Geno pass her, only Sylvia. Geno has the best winning percentage all time having passed Leon Barmore some years ago. By definition, he almost certainly will end up with the most all time wins, baring something unforeseeable. Tara has earned her wins, although, without the rough patch RU went through, it wouldn't have happened so soon.

You're right, of course, about that begin TVdV's 900th win at Stanford; I never really think of her as coaching anywhere else, but she did.

I never really cared about her or Geno passing CVS, but Hatchell definitely got on my nerves. I try not to take pleasure in other people's misfortunes, but I find it gratifying that CVS is having a fine season this year when North Carolina is not.

ADVERTISEMENT