ADVERTISEMENT

Games of interest - January 30

BeKnighted

Heisman Winner
Jan 15, 2003
Somewhat delayed because the site was down for a while last night, but luckily not much was going on.

Big Ten and other RU opponents

none

Other ranked teams

#9 Florida State 82 Georgia Tech 62 - Seminoles in 3-way tie for 1st in ACC
#11 Arizona State 68 Colorado 60 - a lot closer than I would have expected
#19 Princeton 96 Harvard 46 - Tigers outscored Crimson 52-20 in the 2nd half

Also - Big East special

DePaul 93 Georgetown 52 - 6 losses in a row for the Hoyas
Butler 67 Providence 59 - 8 in a row for the Bulldogs
Villanova 75 Marquette 59 - Golden Eagles still looking for 1st BEast win
Creighton 74 Xavier 65 - two middle of the pack teams going nowhere

The Big East is starting to look like it could be a one-bid conference - Seton Hall is the only team with an RPI better than 75, and the Pirates have only one RPI top-50 win.

Today:

Other RU opponents 0-0

Year to date:

Big Ten 115-40
Other RU opponents 93-106

There were no palindromic scores in 20 games completed so far today. That makes 28 palindromic scores in 3,594 games this year. It's been six days since the last palindromic score.

Won't DePaul be in the running for a bid? I would expect them to get in over SHU, though I haven't really followed what happens with the BE. Doesn't DePaul still play a big-time OOC schedule?

Not if they don't win the conference tourney.

That is a bad conference. DePaul is at RPI 85 - they played 2 very good teams (Notre Dame, Connecticut) and 2 decent teams (Northwestern and Texas A&M) and lost to all of the above. Also lost to Seton Hall and another BE game they shouldn't have (maybe Villanova); in any case, the good games they played don't make up for the dreck the rest of their schedule is.

We felt the wrath of the old BE breakup last year, and DePaul is getting it this year. Seton Hall is not a shoo-in, either, although their RPI is currently 35 it can only go down the rest of the season. Lacking any signature wins as BeK says, it is indeed very possible that only the tournament winner gets in.

Posted by Doug

Doug has it right - DePaul looked pretty good to a lot of people at the start of the season, but doesn't look so good now. The BEast is profiling like a lot of one-bid mid-majors right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT