ADVERTISEMENT

Gannett NJ/North Jersey.Com With Another Hit Piece on Athletics Spending-Update 7/7--Another one!!!

Some have said it’s backloaded and that’s the number they made a guesstimate on….the 100 VERY large.😎
Yet there seems to still be some fans who are unhappy with the numbers. 🤷‍♂️

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

Yet there seems to still be some fans who are unhappy with the numbers. 🤷‍♂️
You can put me in that initial group as I am one of those who thought it was going to be a little better.

Some of the numbers mentioned (don’t think we have a final one yet) I recall being similar to those WITHOUT USC and UCLA.

So when those two were added BEFORE the negotiations were done I thought it would be more.

But again, I don’t think there is a final number yet.

Reactions: koleszar
You can put me in that initial group as I am one of those who thought it was going to be a little better.

Some of the numbers mentioned (don’t think we have a final one yet) I recall being similar to those WITHOUT USC and UCLA.

So when those two were added BEFORE the negotiations were done I thought it would be more.
I'm still digesting the transition from 2023 and 2024 to 2025 and beyond when the escalator clause kicks in.
IMO, the latter part delivers in a B1G way.

Maybe that’s the part that includes the new kids on the block.
For anyone disappointed, this is worth reading from another thread, and I don't know why we are discussing this in this thread, but OK:

"The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic."

Here's why we are discussing it here. That $450,000 in DoorDash orders (which was really a one-time phenomenon during the pandemic because food service was not available, and they were probably trying to minimize gathering contact), is 0.45% of what Rutgers will be making beginning in 2025 (before paying back the loan of $8 million).

For anyone disappointed, this is worth reading from another thread, and I don't know why we are discussing this in this thread, but OK:

"The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic."

Here's why we are discussing it here. That $450,000 in DoorDash orders (which was really a one-time phenomenon during the pandemic because food service was not available, and they were probably trying to minimize gathering contact), is 0.45% of what Rutgers will be making beginning in 2025 (before paying back the loan of $8 million).

The $450k is ridiculous and shows no control at all levels. Works out to $5300 per player.

Reactions: Unionst
Ok and how many meals a day do players need to eat and for how many days? Do the math.

Wait until you find out how much you spend on food each year.
True but they can get free unlimited food from the dining halls. Which are very good btw.

Ok and how many meals a day do players need to eat and for how many days? Do the math.

Why can't players eat in the dining halls or make food themselves?

True but they can get free unlimited food from the dining halls. Which are very good btw.
Hell they’re still wearing masks and you don’t think during the height of Covid the dining halls weren’t closed to prevent mass gatherings? It’s a one time expenditure which is why the media jumped on it like vultures and left out the circumstances which caused it.

Reactions: sct1111
See e5fdny's response.
Think they were closed during COVID, which is why something like DoorDash was used.
And they also probably wanted to limit contact between/among players.
IIRC, my kid got a refund on housing and "board" the meal plan. Not sure if the dining hall staff got laid off or paid during covid, but money was probably saved there.
Hell they’re still wearing masks and you don’t think the dining halls were closed to prevent mass gatherings?
Exactly. Problem solved!

thumbnail_social-mask-straws.jpg

Was it a politician who made an issue of this spending?
Ummmm. We are paying the bill as NJ taxpayers.
I am amongst the biggest RU Football fans out there but this is ridiculous. The public criticism is deserved.

BS
Nobody spends $5300 per person eating for 5-6 months.
If it was your own money ( or their own money for that matter) would be spending like that ? Big No.
No oversight…bad look all around.

BS
If it was your own money ( or their own money for that matter) would be spending like that ? Big No.
Idk where you are coming up with your math but the article does it for you and it’s very reasonable.

Just more misleading news. Big swing and miss here.

Page 15 has actual RU distributions versus the lesser amounts for paying back Big 10 loans. The report is four years old, so there may be updated values. I'm still boggled that RU received about $8.6 million in 2015, rising to $46 million in 2022 and projected to be $65 million in 2027. That 2027 figure will rise by (possibly) $25 million under the new deal and perhaps up to $100 million per year around 2030.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It was irresponsible not to manage the athletes’ expenses. Anyone should have anticipated that some students would attempt to abuse the privilege and the press would get the information. When the program was launched RU should have put in place a process to review all charges.

You really can't have threads complaining about Xanadon't/the American Nightmare Mall allegedly being an expensive waste of money and then defend the Athletic Department spending half a million on takeout. At the very least, players could've picked up food themselves even during the quarantine. Has anyone here had food delivered from these services?? For God's sake, a former housemate paid $50+ for a single pizza--from Domino's, yum!--about a mile away.

BS
6 months is 180 days, and 2 meals per day (lunch and dinner) comes to 360 meals, at $14.72 per meal. That is not really expensive, considering tip and DoorDash charge (if there is/was one during the pandemic).
It was irresponsible not to manage the athletes’ expenses. Anyone should have anticipated that some students would attempt to abuse the privilege and the press would get the information. When the program was launched RU should have put in place a process to review all charges.
IDK about that. People had a range of issues to deal with during the pandemic, both work and family/personal. Looking at the above numbers/calculations, this is much ado about nothing. Those two investigative reporters have a track record of aggrandizing little things that seem a little bit off and making them look like some sort of grand conspiracy--see, for example, their investigation of charter schools.

6 months is 180 days, and 2 meals per day (lunch and dinner) comes to 360 meals, at $14.72 per meal. That is not really expensive, considering tip and DoorDash charge (if there is/was one during the pandemic).

IDK about that. People had a range of issues to deal with during the pandemic, both work and family/personal. Looking at the above numbers/calculations, this is much ado about nothing. Those two investigative reporters have a track record of aggrandizing little things that seem a little bit off and making them look like some sort of grand conspiracy--see, for example, their investigation of charter schools.

At any company I ever worked for an employee’s boss or higher up had to approve every expenditure. And back office accountants and internal auditors performed reviews.

Athletes making “meal” purchases at Bed Bath and Beyond and the other such things should never have been approved. One or a handful of slip-ups can be excused but there were way too many. That points to lack of proper oversight and places a cloud of suspicion over the whole thing.

Idk where you are coming up with your math but the article does it for you and it’s very reasonable.

Just more misleading news. Big swing and miss here.
Lavish orders from Outback Restaurant’s and Red Lobster. Yep .. what typical college students eat
Players ordering from Restaurants in Florida. Yep… real responsible. LMAO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT