ADVERTISEMENT

Gannett NJ with a Title IX Hit Piece on Rutgers Athletics; 9/9- Another Deficit Article

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore

Rutgers women win Big Ten championships, but lose out to men on athletics spending​

What a joke. The writer, a Columbia Journalism grad fails to understand that football is the engine that funds other sports, and you have to spend money to make money. Is she implying the women's team coaches should be paid as much as the football coach?

And here is what the women's soccer coach had to say, which should be the end of story:

"Mike O’Neill, the Rutgers women’s head soccer coach, said he felt the program has been supported “really, really well.” When asked about the significant investments in football compared to soccer, he said it was important for all sports to do well on campus.

It’s so important that football does well, and we all understand that and we’re behind that,” he said. “But when it comes to our individual sport, we feel we get great support. We feel we have some of the top facilities in the country.”"

EDIT:

New Article today (9/9) behind paywall. They never stop. The person tweeting the articles is President of the Union of graduate workers, faculty, postdocs and EOF counsellors at Rutgers

Last edited:
Are we sure this isn't meant as a joke intentionally? I mean, it is a joke. Just not sure if it was meant to be.

Because I can't believe a sports writer could possibly be this stupid.

Maybe she'd be happy if the school increased the soccer teams Door Dash budget?

Oh hum. Congrats on your championships. Now get over to the tailgates this Saturday

Are we sure this isn't meant as a joke intentionally? I mean, it is a joke. Just not sure if it was meant to be.

Because I can't believe a sports writer could possibly be this stupid.

Maybe she'd be happy if the school increased the soccer teams Door Dash budget?
Does paying over $120,000 for a 9 month master's degree in journalism to work in a profession that pays peanuts automatically qualify you as stupid?

^^^That could be a rhetorical question.

Does paying over $120,000 for a 9 month master's degree in journalism to work in a profession that pays peanuts automatically qualify you as stupid?

^^^That could be a rhetorical question.

Just proof that Ivy Leaguers aren't any more intelligent than any of us, they were just born on 3rd base and thought they hit a triple in life.

Even when the study takes out football to compare numbers it fails to take out men's basketball, which is easily the second-most popular sport and generates the second-most revenue. And good men's basketball coaches also do not come cheap. Until that's done the numbers are suspect.

Reactions: redking
Julie Herman was right about NJ com and the ledger. At what point does the university sue the paper for defamation and presenting false truth/spin? Between the APC for basketball, gymnastics, and the Rodkin center lacrosse, soccer, are there maybe 10 schools in the nation of 350 D1 programs that have better-net womens sports facilities than RU??? What a complete joke

Julie Herman was right about NJ com and the ledger. At what point does the university sue the paper for defamation and presenting false truth/spin? Between the APC for basketball, gymnastics, and the Rodkin center lacrosse, soccer, is there maybe 10 schools in the nation of 350 D1 programs that have better-net womens sports facilities than RU??? What a complete joke
This isn't even the Ledger doing this...its a paper probably used to start bonfires with.

Don’t worry Melanie.

Soon football and basketball will break away from the NCAA and most women’s sports will go poof.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
Just proof that Ivy Leaguers aren't any more intelligent than any of us, they were just born on 3rd base and thought they hit a triple in life.
In my experience, some of the worst/least-talented/least effective people have been Ivy League grads--but they have plenty of company. Have found that people who went to elite colleges tend to rest on their educational laurels far too much. I'm not a college/degree snob. But for the complete picture, she was Fairleigh Dickinson undergrad.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Men are more into sports than women. There is more demand. And most people prefer to watch the highest level of competition in any sport, which is generally men. Men and women are equal on the whole. But men and women are not identical. There are some areas where men excel and some where women excel. Those strengths should be recognized as equally important. And it should be recognized that those generalities don't hold true for every man or woman. So while men and women are equal, funding for every activity does not need to be equal for men and women.

In my experience, some of the worst/least-talented/least effective people have been Ivy League grads--but they have plenty of company. Have found that people who went to elite colleges tend to rest on their educational laurels far too much. I'm not a college/degree snob. But for the complete picture, she was Fairleigh Dickinson undergrad.
Even dumber if she went to grad school for freaking journalism at an Ivy League school. My guess is she's riddled with student loan debt now.

Reactions: JMORC2003
I'm a deckhand on a lobster boat out of Brielle. Clearly I should be getting paid the same amount as those Alaskan King Crab deckhands you see on Deadliest Catch. We both do the same job - setting and retrieving crustacean traps in the ocean. It's just so unfair!

another hit piece on RU headline
Next week expect the same, just about another sports related issue.
Been that way for years and years and years and years.
With more years following the years and years.

The NJ media is like a retarded computer when it comes to coverage of RU athletics. When RU gets to a bowl, or if any of the other teams reach the postseason, they'll have their grubby little hands out for free tickets.

Sad article - total hive mind claptrap
We read the same "narratives" over and over and over.
They have universal templates for agitprop and they stick to them
Only football and men's BB are profit centers - they pay for themselves and other athletes in cost center sports that draw little interest.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
All I saw was that it was an APP article: that's all I needed to know, didn't even bother to click on the link.

• Love
Reactions: beaced
Nearly every athletic program is on a great trajectory, academics are crushing it, the school is increasing enrollment as it drops nationally, the B1G just signed a record TV deal...they're getting desperate.
I'm dead serious when I say we really should buy out a lot of these low level papers to control the message. They can't be that expensive to buy out.

Reactions: Caliknight

Rutgers women win Big Ten championships, but lose out to men on athletics spending​

What a joke. The writer, a Columbia Journalism grad fails to understand that football is the engine that funds other sports, and you have to spend money to make money. Is she implying the women's team coaches should be paid as much as the football coach?

And here is what the women's soccer coach had to say, which should be the end of story:

"Mike O’Neill, the Rutgers women’s head soccer coach, said he felt the program has been supported “really, really well.” When asked about the significant investments in football compared to soccer, he said it was important for all sports to do well on campus.

It’s so important that football does well, and we all understand that and we’re behind that,” he said. “But when it comes to our individual sport, we feel we get great support. We feel we have some of the top facilities in the country.”"

LOL. Grrrrrrrrl "sportswriter" mad about not spending the same on women's sports as men's.

Maybe Gannett writers should write a story about their employer being union busters? 🤷‍♂️ Glass houses and stuff like that that deserves coverage.

Cry me a river:
"Many communities have seen the resources of their local news outlets decline as economic pressure and consolidation have created news deserts across the country," wrote Schleuss. "Since 2004, the U.S. has lost a staggering approximately 2,100 newspapers, many of them small, local papers outside of major cities. In New Jersey alone, we've seen 92 closures or mergers, including the Clark Patriot and Edgewater View."

"Last year, Gannett CEO Mike Reed raked in $7.7 million while the median salary of a Gannett employee was $48,419. According to their union, it's not uncommon for members to have to resort to food pantries to make ends meet."

That $120,000 Master's degree will not be paid off anytime soon?

Maybe no need for a buyout?

Maybe Gannett writers should write a story about their employer being union busters? 🤷‍♂️ Glass houses and stuff like that that deserves coverage.

Cry me a river:
"Many communities have seen the resources of their local news outlets decline as economic pressure and consolidation have created news deserts across the country," wrote Schleuss. "Since 2004, the U.S. has lost a staggering approximately 2,100 newspapers, many of them small, local papers outside of major cities. In New Jersey alone, we've seen 92 closures or mergers, including the Clark Patriot and Edgewater View."

"Last year, Gannett CEO Mike Reed raked in $7.7 million while the median salary of a Gannett employee was $48,419. According to their union, it's not uncommon for members to have to resort to food pantries to make ends meet."

That $120,000 Master's degree will not be paid off anytime soon?

Maybe no need for a buyout?

Decline of local papers IS an issue, and nobody has clean hands. Gannett may cut costs and bleed their acquisitions but newspaper unions have a history of wage demands that do the same thing. Remember when NYC had something like 5-6 dailies? Well before the internet started tanking ad revenues the pressmen and delivery unions made sure the number would decline with their strikes and wage demands.

Decline of local papers IS an issue, and nobody has clean hands. Gannett may cut costs and bleed their acquisitions but newspaper unions have a history of wage demands that do the same thing. Remember when NYC had something like 5-6 dailies? Well before the internet started tanking ad revenues the pressmen and delivery unions made sure the number would decline with their strikes and wage demands.
There are many reasons and people at fault. Some of it has to do with newspapers pushing narratives and fake news/misinformation (not talking just politics), and some of it is agenda-driven news like the story this thread is about, or the anti-police narrative constantly running in the Asbury Park Press.

The new Columbia Journalism School dean is NOT a journalism graduate and has a PhD in history from Rutgers. That was a gutsy hire, but maybe it’s a way for the school to acknowledge that it needs an outside perspective to shake things up.

Regarding Columbia, it IS the clear number one school of journalism in America. Unlike other professional schools like business or law, where people can argue if Harvard, Wharton, or Columbia is best, the journalism school has no equal, and is the school that actually awards Pulitzer prizes. I can confirm from my Linkedin connections that many successful media people overwhelmingly graduated from that program.

By the way, here is the link to the article, mentioned above, that talks about the new dean. It’s an interesting read.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The new Columbia Journalism School dean is NOT a journalism graduate and has a PhD in history from Rutgers. That was a gutsy hire, but maybe it’s a way for the school to acknowledge that it needs an outside perspective to shake things up.

Regarding Columbia, it IS the clear number one school of journalism in America. Unlike other professional schools like business or law, where people can argue if Harvard, Wharton, or Columbia is best, the journalism school has no equal, and is the school that actually awards Pulitzer prizes. I can confirm from my Linkedin connections that many successful media people overwhelmingly graduated from that program.

By the way, here is the link to the article, mentioned above, that talks about the new dean. It’s an interesting read.

I think Northwestern and U Missouri might take issue with that.

A little concerning when the clear number one journalism school in the US is associated with the university ranked dead last for college free speech.

A little concerning when the clear number one journalism school in the US is associated with the university ranked dead last for college free speech.
And a student newspaper that whitewashed and approved the hiring as a Columbia Professor a terrorist who was convicted of felony murder for her participation in a politically motivated armed robbery that resulted in the death of two police officers and a security guard .

And that bastion of crap, the NY Times, which undoubtedly employs many Columbia grads whitewashed her obituary to remove the terrorist/murderer part.

I gotta say - this is causing just a little chuckle.

During the USC/UCLA addition threads and them not having to pay a buy-in for a full BTN share - any question about "but how much additional revenue will adding both USC and UCLA generate?" was quickly shot down with "Look at all the history and championships they bring to the table. They deserve better a better financial agreement. Rutgers had none of that and was offered a life raft."

Now, it's not about actual accomplishments and instead it's about how much revenue you generate that demonstrates value.

I’m sorry. I refused to read it. There’s often some truth behind these articles. This seems way off base. Is there any p-5 institution that spends equivalent dollars on the football program and the womens soccer team?

Reactions: NickRU714
I think Northwestern and U Missouri might take issue with that.
I’m connected with many journalists on LinkedIn - people who work in senior positions as editors, etc. I was surprised at the overwhelming number of them who have a degree from Columbia’s J-School. Yes, Missouri and Northwestern have top programs. Do you know why Missouri is considered a top journalism school?

I’m sorry. I refused to read it. There’s often some truth behind these articles. This seems way off base. Is there any p-5 institution that spends equivalent dollars on the football program and the womens soccer team?

Of course not.
And I would agree with "spend the most on the sports that generate money".

But I would assume the "this is supposed to be about amateurism and student-athletes, money is ruining college football" people, feel that there should be more equitable spending?
The first goal of the AD shouldn't be just generating more and more revenue and focusing on money?

Football is the reason Rutgers is in the Big 10, which just signed a 7 year $8,000,000,000 (COUNT THE ZEROS) media deal. Which all sports across the board will benefit from.

She should interview UConn 's AD and ask them if they wish their athletic dept. was in the situation Rutgers is in.

Reactions: bigmatt718
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT