ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Gavin Wimsatt commits to Rutgers Football

Seriously, this is how you break thru and build momentum. This has potential to really turn into something.

I agree. But with football - one class doesn't guarantee success by any means, even with the best of coaching. These guys will all develop and contribute at different speeds. And you have so many players that we probably need two of these Top 20 classes in a row to really really be confident we can make a splash and climb up the Big Ten East hierarchy.

Also don't forget .. the way the transfer portal is now. Retaining these guys is an annual adventure.

With all that said. This is exactly how it starts (well actually this is faster and bigger than how it usually starts! Thanks Schiano, you are killing it!!!)

Looking at our commitment list got me like

giphy.gif
Always one of my favorites!

:Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana:
:CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP:
:Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana::Chop banana:
:CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP::CHOP:

Reactions: Knight Shift
First Greg got the big uglies to commit and then we had the skill positions do the same... now he got the jewel of the class to publicly commit. I'm hoping that frees up another few 4 star recruits to jump on board. This feels like a dream!

Fantastic get of a great, potentially game-changing recruit, as it's the most important position on the field by far, and a position we've been sorely lacking in for years, if not decades. Many of us hoped Schiano would be able to make us more competitive quickly and really ratchet up recruiting and he's exceeding expectations so far. Still a long way to go until signing day, but let the sentence below sink in for just a bit. Wow.

He is the 11th member of Rutgers' 2022 recruiting class, which 247Sports now ranks sixth in the nation behind Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame and Texas A&M.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...n-wimsatt-commits-scarlet-knights/7151573002/

Crazy, it has been on Coach Schianos twitter for five hours. In 2021 there must be no issue with this at all.

anyone else think RU can win the B1G in the next 4 years?
If Greg can consistently get top 15-30 classes, which we know he's capable of (with last year's class around #40 and this year's shaping up to be top 20), then we should certainly be competitive with the upper echelons of the B1G. Doesn't mean we'll necessarily displace an OSU or any other school that is always getting top 5-10 classes to win the B1G, but we should be able to beat anyone if things break right, which means we should have a chance to win the B1G if OSU has a bit of a down year or if we upset them. Basically, I think we'll be capable of Dantonio-level MSU success: he was 114-57/69-39 over 13 years, including finishing first or tied for first 4 times (although only once in the 6 years of the B1G-East, during OSU's run - I'd even take that).

I agree. But with football - one class doesn't guarantee success by any means, even with the best of coaching. These guys will all develop and contribute at different speeds. And you have so many players that we probably need two of these Top 20 classes in a row to really really be confident we can make a splash and climb up the Big Ten East hierarchy.

Also don't forget .. the way the transfer portal is now. Retaining these guys is an annual adventure.

With all that said. This is exactly how it starts (well actually this is faster and bigger than how it usually starts! Thanks Schiano, you are killing it!!!)
Disregard

Great get. I have to admit that the NJ Rutgers shirt from the way-back machine had me a little scared that I might hear “University of Rutgers” in that video.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I see you PLAYBOI

Welcome to RU
Schiano and staff have done a wonderful job with this class and it will only get better now that Gavin has joined. This is a great time to develop an expansion plan for the stadium. Tickets will be in high demand.

Great get! I see it this way- a QB that has the talent and drive, paired with coaching that will play to his strengths, can turn any team into a top 20, NYD type team.
this kid has the look of that player. We have had other 4 star QB’s but each came with a question mark. We hear nothing but good about this kid.
As for this year’s class and where it leads us. Greg has come a long way. I always felt he was ok but he would leave holes with his recruiting. In this class, he addresses OL, skill, QB and nails a couple more studs on D. Combine that with last year and don’t forget some great gets in the portal. This team can become a miracle turn around. I see us still in the 4-6 win area this year but see 8 or better in 2022.
I do see us battling for the B1G East within these next 4 years. Not saying we win it but battling.

Definitely great to see the acknowledgment by some of the more renowned and respected college football writers.
Man, watching some of his highlights is just amazing. What a dynamic player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT