ADVERTISEMENT

Gaye family could be looking at another lawsuit

It'll be a long, hard fight but there ain't no mountain high enough to keep them from getting to Pherell. Or a valley low enough or a river wide enough.
This post was edited on 3/13 9:40 AM by RUboston

I've heard that Gaye's children have now hired the law firm of Abraham, Martin and John.

Slippery slope. We really need the Supreme Court to set precedent that absent sampling or use of the same music (regardless of key), its free use. Just because songs sound similar, does not make it an infringement of another artist's work.

"Melody and words are the song. The melody of their song is different but the presentation is very similar to Marvin Gaye's song. However, it does not mean they copied the song, but rather, the sound."
- John Fogerty

fwiw,I met my wife at a P w/o P dance the night MG was killed by his dad. April Fools Day.
This post was edited on 3/13 1:55 PM by RUTGERZ_R00LZ

Good...bring it. Shake up this tinny/pop celebrity music world. Where people are "stars" without grinding live, on the road and playing dives and drunken saloons. Just make a video with a bunch of techno geeks and become a millionaire. I want more of it.

Good for the Gaye family. This isn't sampling, or similar-sounding songs. They initiated the lawsuit to preemptively protect themselves after Thicke stepped in it when he said the following in an interview: ""Pharrell and I were in the studio and I told him that one of my favorite songs of all time was Marvin Gaye's 'Got to Give it Up.' I was like, 'Damn, we should make something like that, something with that groove.' Then he started playing a little something and we literally wrote the song in about a half hour and recorded it."[/I]

ADVERTISEMENT