ADVERTISEMENT

Geo: “Our goal is the National Championship”

It should be their goal. This team has the ability to beat anyone. We play tough D which keeps us in games. We have 2 quality bigs which is tough for a lot of teams to handle. Young is super explosive. Harper is playing elite bball. Geo is a senior leader big shot maker. Mathis is a stopper. The team make up is very good. Just get hot in March and you never know. We are a tough team to play in the tournament. If we get hot from 3 at the right time...

Love the sentiment from your Captain. The biggest difference from this core of players is confidence. If you play with confidence, you play better, you shoot better , you rebound better . You lock down on defense better. This team is really well rounded and now offensively and defensively in the top 20 in the country on both ends so Geo’s goal gets closer every day.

What makes College Hoops so great is, even though the tourney seedings can be subjective, a team that earns it CAN win it all....it might be a tougher road for certain teams (because of the name on the jersey) but it IS possible.

What I love about this team, thus far, is there's no sense of panic when they face obstacles (as Pike calls them). When Maryland crawled back to take the lead I didn't worry, and I can't remember the last time that happened to me! Instead, they kept up the intensity and broke their will!

The potential of this team is National Champions. You have 7 guys that can legit score double digits in any game against any opponent. Do all 7 look for their shot in that way NO still only one ball but you have three tiers of scoring and offensive ability on this team. Ron Harper Jr is his own tier 1 and 1a. He is at that Garza, top 5 player in the B1G level, the NBA genetics have kicked in. Tier 2 scorers in order are 2a Geo, 2b JY, and 2c Mathis. Tier 3 scorers in order are 3a Myles, 3b Mulcahy, and 3c Cliff. That's what makes this team so dangerous against anyone including Iowa, MSU, Illinois or any other top B1G team, home or road. We are at that level now there are no given losses on any court. PERIOD.

Ron Harper Jr. 23.2 pts 7.0 reb 45-75 FG 60% 16-32 3pt FG 50%. Wow.

my god I get jitters just thinking of it. Imagine being in March (or May or whenever the hell they have the tournament) and we're just seeing the unthinkable happen.

The only cruel twist is that we have to watch on TV and cant enjoy this in person. I'd gladly spill any amount of money to be following RU bball around this season - especially post-season!

Realistically I see us as a Sweet 16 level team. Anything beyond that is way overachieving, imo. That said, it is at least a possibility for us to go further, whereas in years past it would have been a total pipe dream.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
No, he can go ahead and say it right now. Why wouldn't a Top 20 team be aiming to win a championship?

I guess everyone can say that... however let's win some games against elite opponents before we start talking national championships. Maybe let's get to the ncaa tournament first. Maryland and Syracuse are good teams but not elite. it would be nice to see how we compare to the top talent before we talk national championships. over next three weeks we play Illinois, Ohio state, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan state, and Ohio state. we could easily have a 6-5 overall record and 2-5 Big ten record. being national champions is a great goal but since the beginning of time it is a ridiculous goal for 95% of the teams in the country.

I love this team and think we have potential to be really good. all i am saying is pump the brakes until we get a big win.

Army football was ranking at 22 in week 4. you would have laughed at them if they were talking about national championships....

I guess everyone can say that... however let's win some games against elite opponents before we start talking national championships.
I don't know about you, but this is the highest-ranked Rutgers basketball team in my lifetime. I'm going to enjoy the ride and not worry about how "elite" our wins are, even though we just took down two of college basketball's most storied programs. Just relax and have some fun.

Always nice to open the Palm Beach Post sports page and see RU on the first page, where the ranked teams are. Look, football is OK and so is lacrosse, but I am a basketball fan first, going back to the days of Larry Gordon.

I dont have us to win the natty this year, but I honestly think on any given night, we can beat any team in the nation. And I'm not known to be a homer. If you look at how we play on our BEST nights (which we haven't even seen yet with this 2020-21 team IMHO), we look no different than any blue blood out there, with the exception of our bench. Even our bench is good, just not as deep.

it's what every good team should shoot for. I don't want players who don't think they can win it all

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I dont have us to win the natty this year, but I honestly think on any given night, we can beat any team in the nation. And I'm not known to be a homer. If you look at how we play on our BEST nights (which we haven't even seen yet with this 2020-21 team IMHO), we look no different than any blue blood out there, with the exception of our bench. Even our bench is good, just not as deep.

If (big if) Caleb comes back at some point in Jan / Feb the bench becomes a lot deeper based on his versatility. Right now the biggest test is going to be having to go long spells without a starter in the 3/4 slot. Caleb would address that gap and could also play the 1/2 if needed.

Reactions: njcanesfan
It should be their goal.
hell yeah it should. glad to see it. When that is your goal none of the hoopla around rankings matter. I just hope they can maintain that focus when they get closer to the goal. 6 of the next 7 games against top 20 foes (some repeats).. they win those and the media circus arrives.. maybe CoVid will protect them somewhat. But these guys are smart enough to keep themselves grounded.. I think and hope.

Everyone connected to their success in any way should be so proud of them all.

So happy/lucky to be a fan of this team.

Reactions: Scangg
Im already there Frank.
hmmm.. who is my favorite player ever... hmmm... not sure I had one.. am trying to think of someone who I was happy to see come onto the court.. or happy to see touch the ball..

maybe someone should do a poll..

after watching the whole interview.. okay.. maybe it is Geo. He's thoughtful, I get a sense of anticipation when he has the ball... he is very complimentary of his teammates.

Nah.. cannot have one... too many to choose from on this team.. love these guys.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
Geo's responses to the questions about RHJ and Myles tells me what kind of leader he is and what kind of team Pikiell and the staff have developed here. The chemistry seems off the charts and everyone is bought in on the team concept. There's nothing but positive energy around this program right now...shaping up to be a really special season on the banks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT