ADVERTISEMENT

Geo declaring for NBA Draft - maintaining eligibility

Ha.
Actually some of the least knowledgeable NBA fans are on this board.
See the above posts about Garza and Myles.

What's the saying?
"Don't piss of my leg and tell me it's raining."
There is zero chance RHJ and Geo stay in the draft.

Sorry for bursting the bubble with actual NBA draft information.
I’m sure Geo realizes he probably isn’t getting drafted as well, but he knows this path will give him an idea on what he needs to work on + at least gets some scouts watching. There is no need for some of these posters to make him out to be some delusional, arrogant kid that’s given us so much to the program. We should be happy we have players of the caliber to even be able to declare for the draft and get scouts looking at him. But this fanbase aren’t fans of our players.

Garza is late 2nd rnd/possible undrafted? I find that surprising.
They base a lot on measurables and potential, right? Garza was effective in college but runs down the court like Herman Munster. He’s not showtime. That’s why I think a guy like JY could get some looks. Freakish quickness and athleticism and comes up big in big spots.

Reactions: RC80
They base a lot on measurables and potential, right? Garza was effective in college but runs down the court like Herman Munster. He’s not showtime. That’s why I think a guy like JY could get some looks. Freakish quickness and athleticism and comes up big in big spots.

Measurables and potential is exactly why JY isn't getting looks.

He's a small 6'2" PG who will be 24yo before the next season starts.

He is already older than Trae Young, Luka Doncic, Lamelo and Lonzo Ball, Ja Morant to name a few.

Jacob is actually a full year older than Luka Garza even.

Why?
It's not suprising at all actually.

He "declared" last year and withdrew because he was a late 2nd round/undrafted.

When he "declares" this year, it'll be the same.
Is it documented that he was rated as a late 2nd round/undrafted last year?
His only skill that transfers is his three point shooting ability. Besides that, he is pretty poor at all the things NBA teams look for in a big nowadays. I honestly think teams would rather draft Myles than Luka.
He rebounds well. Handles the ball well, has good foot work, has a big body and yeah shot the 3 at 44%, which was a pretty significant increase from the year before.

Doesn't have great athleticism, nor good length, but I think late 2nd sounds low.

So Geo joins the other free agent non draft types at the pre-draft work outs - gets his eval and is back; nothing to lose based on current rules.

Reactions: SBP and BillyC80

He rebounds well. Handles the ball well, has good foot work, has a big body and yeah shot the 3 at 44%, which was a pretty significant increase from the year before.

Doesn't have great athleticism, nor good length, but I think late 2nd sounds low.

As I said in the other thread showing the Yahoo mock draft - luckily we get actual results.

We'll have actual draft results this summer.

Note - that Yahoo mock draft has Garza at #58 (out of 60).
Late 2nd round/undrafted

He can’t defend anywhere close to an NBA level. The athleticism of NBA bigs will eat him alive. In another era, he’d be a 1st rounder. In the modern NBA, with an emphasis on switchability and “position-less” basketball, Garza is far from anything more than a late-round flyer. He’ll feast in Europe, however, if/when he bails on the NBA dream

I wouldn’t count Geo completely out for NEXT year. His age will work against him, but if he returns to RU and picks up his shooting percentage from 3 and overall scoring next year (the 2 would go hand in hand) he may have a shot at making a roster. I know his career statistics are pedestrian but he also has the height for PG and when healthy has demonstrated the ability to create his own shot. Again - he’s not there yet, but if he improves the things holding him back (which could happen next season) he’d have at least a punchers chance to make a roster.

I wouldn’t count Geo completely out for NEXT year. His age will work against him, but if he returns to RU and picks up his shooting percentage from 3 and overall scoring next year (the 2 would go hand in hand) he may have a shot at making a roster. I know his career statistics are pedestrian but he also has the height for PG and when healthy has demonstrated the ability to create his own shot. Again - he’s not there yet, but if he improves the things holding him back (which could happen next season) he’d have at least a punchers chance to make a roster.

His 3P% is likely not to take a big leap:
2017-18: .361 (53/147.... at 20ft 9in)
2018-19: .341 (60/176.... at 20ft 9in)
2019-20: .280 (35/125.... at 22ft 1.75in)
2020-21: .303 (37/122.... at 22ft 1.75in)

Pro line is at 23ft 9in, and 22ft in the corner. He'd have to see significant improvement at the 3P line to think his deep ball will translate to the NBA.

Pro line is at 23ft 9in, and 22ft in the corner. He'd have to see significant improvement at the 3P line to think his deep ball will translate to the NBA.

Similar to RHJ - fans need to be careful what they wish for.

If Geo wants to "improve his draft status" then he needs to sit at the 3pt line next year and fire away.

Same for RHJ. He's a wing 2/3 in the NBA not a "stretch 4".

Are we sure that is the best strategy for Rutgers next year? Would that sit well with Pike?
Geo and RHJ staying outside and firing up a ton of 3s to show off for the NBA.

I forgot they moved the line back

Similar to RHJ - fans need to be careful what they wish for.

If Geo wants to "improve his draft status" then he needs to sit at the 3pt line next year and fire away.

Same for RHJ. He's a wing 2/3 in the NBA not a "stretch 4".

Are we sure that is the best strategy for Rutgers next year? Would that sit well with Pike?
Geo and RHJ staying outside and firing up a ton of 3s to show off for the NBA.

The only way sitting at the 3pt line and firing away would be showing off for the NBA would be if they were hitting them at a high %.... if both were dropping bombs from the arc at a .400 rate, I'd have zero problem with that. Hucking up threes at a .310 rate is going to both damage their draft chances and hurt the team.

I want players hungry to win and impress coach and teammates to earn PT. We are way beyond that with 2 players having an eye on the NbA

A guy who shot 30% from 3 each of the past 2 years and plays 30MPG and barely averages 10.0 PPG thinks he is remotely close to NBA material?

i shot 79 today. I am going to Q school and see if I can get my card.

And yet the players say they are held hostage by the NCAA while they effect possible roster issues and recruiting issues to linger into the summer

Shouldn't Geo focus on being a better college guar then dreaming about the NBA. His shooting, ball handling, passing, and defense all need an upgrade and for 4 straight years it has not happened.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I am not sure how Pike goes about constructing a 2021-22 roster with 70/200 minutes in limbo.

there is a 80-90% chance those minutes won’t be available for an incoming player.

Shouldn't Geo focus on being a better college guar then dreaming about the NBA. His shooting, ball handling, passing, and defense all need an upgrade and for 4 straight years it has not happened.

IMO, Baker's chance at professional ball is going to come with improving passing, decision making, and defense - not his 3P%. If he can get his passing up to the point where he's making 5-6 assists per game to 1-2 tov, and can improve his on-ball defense, he might have a shot at cracking a roster somewhere as a backup PG.

I don’t think he’ll be focused on improving his draft status. For better or worse (whether you love or hate his politics), he has a new path to future economic stability paved for him if he plays the NIL thing right (there will be career opportunities for him related directly or indirectly to it). And by the way, look for him to be more reserved and professional in his delivery going forward. It’s already been noticeable in his socia media posts since the tourney. He’s realized the doors the position he’s in has opened up for him and is no fool. I’d be realized surprised if he’s not back.

All I was saying regarding the NBA is that it’s not unheard of for a player to suddenly have a much improved shooting percentage in one year of their career (could even be attributed to luck). If that were to happen, he would be in decent position to make a roster based on his height and ability to play the PG position. His shooting percentage just isn’t good enough for any real consideration right now.

Reactions: RUChoppin
IMO, Baker's chance at professional ball is going to come with improving passing, decision making, and defense - not his 3P%. If he can get his passing up to the point where he's making 5-6 assists per game to 1-2 tov, and can improve his on-ball defense, he might have a shot at cracking a roster somewhere as a backup PG.

I think he needs a year with a better shooting percentage to have a real chance at a back up NBA role. His career numbers are low but if he can show some improvement next year it will help. His assists are likely to improve just by playing point more with JY leaving. It will be interesting to see where his measurables come in at from his evaluation. His roster height is 6-4 right? For an NBA PG that’s pretty good.

I think he needs a year with a better shooting percentage to have a real chance at a back up NBA role. His career numbers are low but if he can show some improvement next year it will help. His assists are likely to improve just by playing point more with JY leaving. It will be interesting to see where his measurables come in at from his evaluation. His roster height is 6-4 right? For an NBA PG that’s pretty good.

Today's NBA really is looking for a PG who can shoot from range, but there are opportunities as a backup if you're exceptional at other things. Ben Simmons is the obvious example (though he has a lot of other tools Baker doesn't have with his size), but also craftier guys like Rajon Rondo coming off the bench who don't have a great outside shot.

Improved defense and distribution/ball protection could potentially get him a look, along with his stepback midrange game.

I'd just like to see him come back and have a fully healthy season after this one got a bit derailed with the ankle injury in the first game.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Today's NBA really is looking for a PG who can shoot from range, but there are opportunities as a backup if you're exceptional at other things. Ben Simmons is the obvious example (though he has a lot of other tools Baker doesn't have with his size), but also craftier guys like Rajon Rondo coming off the bench who don't have a great outside shot.

Improved defense and distribution/ball protection could potentially get him a look, along with his stepback midrange game.

I'd just like to see him come back and have a fully healthy season after this one got a bit derailed with the ankle injury in the first game.

Yeah - your right it doesn’t necessarily have to be 3s. He needs to improve on 40.9% overall FG percentage though. If he can bring that to 47-48ish with the volume he shoots he’d really help his case.

Reactions: RUChoppin
If that happens with the way the roster looks now, I’d have to agree with you.
Players number up in the rafters is solely for all americans which is the reason so few numbers are displayed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT