ADVERTISEMENT

Geo in Trenton Today

Rutgers basketball is not a species.

Guessing that you're unable to apply the same logic. You may not like it but everything changes - especially in complex systems with variable inputs. RU will need to adapt to the new system to compete, but it can be done. Complain, cry and whine about it to whither and fall to the bottom....or as a fan, perhaps the equivalent would be to take your ball and go home. The ruling is done - so whining about it serves very little purpose.

Guessing that you're unable to apply the same logic. You may not like it but everything changes - especially in complex systems with variable inputs. RU will need to adapt to the new system to compete, but it can be done. Complain, cry and whine about it to whither and fall to the bottom....or as a fan, perhaps the equivalent would be to take your ball and go home. The ruling is done - so whining about it serves very little purpose.
5 stages of grief.

I am still in the beginning. I will get to the acceptance phase, just be patient. Not sure what the bargaining phase will bring.

This is a really big deal. Even before this I was not in love with where the college game was headed. This could eventually (not right away) pull me over the edge. If The Devils weren’t so freaking bad and if Newark was just a little bit easier to get in to I could see me getting season tickets to the Devils.

Reactions: RUInsanity
I don't think people are whining. Rather going through the logical outcome of all this and coming to grips if they want to be a part of that outcome. IMO it's naïve to think there will be any sort of level playing field here. The logical conclusion and one which is just a few lawsuits away after this latest verdict is full on free agency.

One where team X wants your best player and simply outbids you for him, with no salary cap it's a nightmare scenario. I love college football but even this outcome would give me some pause. I just don't see Rutgers wanting any part of running a Professional Football/Basketball Organization. Because that's basically what it's going to become.

I don't think people are whining. Rather going through the logical outcome of all this and coming to grips if they want to be a part of that outcome. IMO it's naïve to think there will be any sort of level playing field here. The logical conclusion and one which is just a few lawsuits away after this latest verdict is full on free agency.

One where team X wants your best player and simply outbids you for him, with no salary cap it's a nightmare scenario. I love college football but even this outcome would give me some pause. I just don't see Rutgers wanting any part of running a Professional Football/Basketball Organization. Because that's basically what it's going to become.

I think it's naïve to think there is any sort of level playing field currently.
If wanted, I can direct you to the dozens (hundreds?) of recruiting scandal threads and news articles posted on this very site.

Similarly, it's naïve to think your 2nd paragraph isn't already happening on a near daily basis.
If you are so offended by the possibility that your 2nd paragraph occurs - news flash we are already there.
You are already part of that outcome.

Not sure how or why transparency is bad.

The only downside seems to be Rutgers fans can't yell "Whatever. It's fine that we can't compete because we follow the rules. SEC/Blue Bloods cheat and buy their players".
We'll have to start looking at ourselves for any downfall of the program.

Does anyone think schools/boosters will spend more total dollars with the change in rules? If so, how much more and why? In regard to boosters, will they spend more money or redirect money?

I think the impact to the end product is overblown tbh

Last edited:
I am the naive guy. In my mind it doesn't happen because I don't see it. I suppose that is my problem.

Having said that I don't think it is really as bad now as you say. PLUS whatever payments are being made get ramped up significantly.

Transparency could be real bad here. My donations to Rutgers basketball have declined over the years. There is no way I'd ever donate a dime once players get paid. Maybe I am atypical, but i bet a few others are in my boat.

Does anyone think schools/boosters will spend more total dollars with the change in rules? If so, how much more and why? In regard to boosters, will they spend more money to redirect money?

I think bids will be out in the open. As part of the recruiting pitch will be what type of monetary opportunities should I expect. Rutgers won't be able to ignore it and put the onus on the player to come up with the opportunities.

Think about this. Sports talk radio in Lexington Kentucky would pay a player (through sports marketing company) to do a weekly show. I have no idea how much. Not only would WFAN not pay for a Rutgers player to do a weekly show it wouldn't even offer a slot to do so for free.

I am the naive guy. In my mind it doesn't happen because I don't see it. I suppose that is my problem.

Having said that I don't think it is really as bad now as you say. PLUS whatever payments are being made get ramped up significantly.

Transparency could be real bad here. My donations to Rutgers basketball have declined over the years. There is no way I'd ever donate a dime once players get paid. Maybe I am atypical, but i bet a few others are in my boat.
Interesting. Would he curious to see poll results on our current fanbase on this. After hearing the Supreme Court opinions what percent of the population that currently donates do you think will stop donating if labor practices categorized as illegal are no longer permitted?

I think bids will be out in the open. As part of the recruiting pitch will be what type of monetary opportunities should I expect. Rutgers won't be able to ignore it and put the onus on the player to come up with the opportunities.

Think about this. Sports talk radio in Lexington Kentucky would pay a player (through sports marketing company) to do a weekly show. I have no idea how much. Not only would WFAN not pay for a Rutgers player to do a weekly show it wouldn't even offer a slot to do so for free.
Rutgers would not put the onus on the player fwiw these conversations are already happening inside the program

If wanted, I can direct you to the dozens (hundreds?) of recruiting scandal threads and news articles posted on this very site.

Similarly, it's naïve to think your 2nd paragraph isn't already happening on a near daily basis.
If you are so offended by the possibility that your 2nd paragraph occurs - news flash we are already there.

The only downside seems to be Rutgers fans can't yell "Whatever. It's fine that we can't compete because we follow the rules. SEC/Blue Bloods cheat and buy their players".
How much control do we have over the quantity of our fan base. This will be all about monetizing it. If this truly was capitalism Rutgers and Seton Hall would be on the horn right now with merger talks.

How much control do we have over the quantity of our fan base. This will be all about monetizing it. If this truly was capitalism Rutgers and Seton Hall would be on the horn right now with merger talks.
You only have to look in the mirror to see our fan base, if given the power to monetarily benefit the program in a greater way, would instead just stop giving entirely lol

Reactions: cm_13 and RUChoppin
Interesting. Would he curious to see poll results on our current fanbase on this. After hearing the Supreme Court opinions what percent of the population that currently donates do you think will stop donating if labor practices categorized as illegal are no longer permitted?
I know someone who had his college program cut. He cried for a full day and was depressed for weeks. He would not call participating in his sport a labor practice.

You only have to look in the mirror to see our fan base, if given the power to monetarily benefit the program in a greater way, would instead just stop giving entirely lol
I watch MLB. I am not interested in minor league baseball. I don't watch the NBA. I definitely don't watch the G league. If players are all getting paid and the game morphs to the NBA game (which it already is) I am out.

The whole thing really becomes a sham in my opinion once players view college basketball as a monetary tool. Why even make the kids go to classes?

That is just me. I respect anyone who disagrees and sees things differently. Can't respect anyone who watches the NBA though.

Reactions: NickRU714

Does it happen, yes. At the frequency it will happen once this goes through, No. Sure you can point to dozens of cases over the years. But with this going through it'll be hundreds per recruiting cycle. Boosters and Alumni can now target your best player year after year with an NIL contract. You seem to think we're there, they haven't even touched the surface when this goes through.

School X needs a WR. You know that Melton didn't do too bad, how much do you think it'll cost to get him. Alumni Y $100k I'll sign him to an autograph session and tell him we'd really like to see him in Yellow and Black. Boosters and Alumni will redirect their money from do we really need that new game room to we need that $300K QB out of Johnstown. It's now become a Professional Organization with everyone a free agent and no salary cap. That's cause for pause.

Reactions: NickRU714
Professional athletes get paid by performance on the field. GMs are not blinded by stats. They will pay for a RB that will pick up a blitz and help in pass coverage. They will pay for a shutdown defender that only averages 6.4 PPG.

Can you imagine now viewing the sport as a revenue source, potentially for a family? A WR only getting 5 targets and with a poor QB only getting 2 receptions. A RB pouting because team is down 21 and not running the ball. A guard at halftime with only 4 points and the PG not passing because he hasn't got his yet. Coaches knowing if players don't get numbers they will be upset, but if the numbers are too high the bid price for next year goes up.

Myles, most likely, made a logical decision based on what is best for him. Every year any of our players who had good years will make logical decisons. It won't be for education.

Instead of donating, I would start a GoFundMe page to see how much money I could pool together and sign the best QB I could find to an NIL contract for an autograph session. For those who gave, an invite to the autograph session to see who they just purchased.

Do you think players (at top schools) will ever live on campus and go to dining halls?

Can you imagine the houses the players will be put up in?

We used to have an arms race for practice facilities.

Got it. So essentially you are analyzing a situation based on limited data and predicting a pre-determined future negative outcome. In some circles that might classify you as a pessimist.

Does anyone think schools/boosters will spend more total dollars with the change in rules? If so, how much more and why? In regard to boosters, will they spend more money to redirect money?

Me too. I think Geo’s post “unique things student athletes come up with” is probably a more spot on forecast. There will be tons of videos posted in attempt to monitize them - Olympic sports included. I don’t think we’ll be talking the big dollars some think but there will be some pocket money to be earned and fan bases will likely support that indirectly by watching the videos.

But the school is not compensating them! How much do you think these kids are going to make? 99% are going to do some private basketball/baseball/football lessons with kids. Maybe the QB or star point guard will get to do a car commercial. I think you’re over exaggerating
Rutgers just spent $ helping athletes to get paid. That was quick.

ADVERTISEMENT