ADVERTISEMENT

Geo in Trenton Today

How about try a Maryland. UA decides to start sponsoring players. They just flew by Rutgers in football and you”ll have no chance in hell of sniffing their jocks any longer in basketball.
How about a player from Rutgers transfers after his junior year to Oregon and 1 month later does a Nike commercial and gets paid $250,000.

it is legal.

Reactions: Kbee3
The end game…….

A super conference with 24 teams where players are expected to be paid $200,000 per year in endorsements.

The rest are like mid majors right now. This takes awhile. Before that schools like Rutgers struggle to attract and keep talent and lose. As a result less money comes in and more athletic programs are cut.

How about a player from Rutgers transfers after his junior year to Oregon and 1 month later does a Nike commercial and gets paid $250,000.

it is legal.

Wait!
Rutgers is going to start having veteran players transfer to Oregon!

We definitely can’t allow a system that would result in Rutgers player’s transferring to Oregon…….

• Haha
Reactions: cyrock3 and kcg88
In addition…..can you imagine how a college athlete would want to find time to study when time is money.

If you are the 6th man from Indiana and it is 11pm on Thursday night and you know if you turn on your Xbox you can play NCAA 2k22 with a overzealous fan who is 37 year old single man for $1,000 an hour. Are you going to prepare for your exam?

Whatever money is made by some kids, in the long run some schools are just going to throw in the towel and either drop down in divisions or drop a sport completely. Is Central Connecticut in basketball or Troy in football going to have the staff to handle this stuff? Probably not. Eventually less kids will get scholarships.

How about try a Maryland. UA decides to start sponsoring players. They just flew by Rutgers in football and you”ll have no chance in hell of sniffing their jocks any longer in basketball.
And what about Oregon and Nike…not that we would know anything about Oregon stealing players…😳

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
In addition…..can you imagine how a college athlete would want to find time to study when time is money.

If you are the 6th man from Indiana and it is 11pm on Thursday night and you know if you turn on your Xbox you can play NCAA 2k22 with a overzealous fan who is 37 year old single man for $1,000 an hour. Are you going to prepare for your exam?
This I agree with. These kids should focus on school and not major in sports. I hope the G, H, I and J leagues all attract kids who just want money and let college sports continue the way they are and hopefully with less corruption.

Having said that I like Geo and respect what he is doing here. Many people get rich off of college sports and he has the right to ask for some of it and to me he’s really doing this for the younger up and coming kids more than for himself.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
This I agree with. These kids should focus on school and not major in sports. I hope the G, H, I and J leagues all attract kids who just want money and let college sports continue the way they are and hopefully with less corruption.

Having said that I like Geo and respect what he is doing here. Many people get rich off of college sports and he has the right to ask for some of it and to me he’s really doing this for the younger up and coming kids more than for himself.
The 2nd half of this I get and respect. I am angry about players getting paid, but not as upset at Geo for fighting for it.

Not sure how I’d feel as a parent of D1 revenue sport athlete. I know how I feel as a non revenue sport athlete.

a seperate arguement is the notion that revenue sports pay for non revenue sports and are people OK with that. It is a shame Rutgers cut sports 10+ years ago. It was logical because the athletic department had to invest more in revenue sports. Is it OK to have a world where mostly only revenue college sports exist.

Why is it assumed that RU will not be able to compete under these new rules? It's not like we were a major force under the old rules up against blue bloods and other programs with deep pocketed ties to very rich boosters and sponsor deals. If anything - with creative marketing and recruiting - we will have the regional lure of NY metro area sponsorship (and to a lesser degree - perhaps even Philly). Something that not too many other programs have at their disposal.

Why is it assumed that RU will not be able to compete under these new rules? It's not like we were a major force under the old rules up against blue bloods and other programs with deep pocketed ties to very rich boosters and sponsor deals. If anything - with creative marketing and recruiting - we will have the regional lure of NY metro area sponsorship (and to a lesser degree - perhaps even Philly). Something that not too many other programs have at their disposal.
So who is more likely to offer a kid $25k for no real ROI - a real company in the metro area or Billy Joe Bob who has car dealership and donates big $$$$$ to the school anyway?

Observation.

maybe things will change with more winning.

if things do change the RAC would have to be renovated to cater more to attract deep pocketed entities.

I have no issue with Geo advocating for his benefit. I also don’t have an issue with people supporting NIL rights. It’s unavoidable at this point anyway. At the same time, the new NCAA system will not help schools like RU, and that’s scary considering we’re a B1G school. We are already losing developed talent to the new transfer rule. When you add in the ability of these other top schools with deep pocketed donors to really put together competitive financial packages we will lose even more players. Like I said, it’s happening no matter what but that doesn’t mean it will ultimately be good for us.

Reactions: RULoyal
The fans arguing against the likeness are actually kinda dumb....they have no context.

A) RU openly promotes through every recruiting mechanism, the alumni in the tri-state area, including Wall Street etc....So, we are 100% OK with Myles Johnson getting an IBM internship, but we don't want Geo Baker to be able to start networking with R alumni, while at the same time, getting something done with image and likeness??

B) RU making the NCAAs and being a NCAA caliber program, was built on all the players putting in the sweat equity to lift the program from also ran to contender.....But Geo Baker can't take advantage of being one of the faces to the program, with game winning shots and plays??

C) if another school offers something more attractive in terms of image and likeness and RU doesn't, because some alumni have a warped mentality that they don't "deserve it ", what do we do to compete with Penn State, Ohio State etc...??

Reactions: tm_nj and RUsojo
Put yourself in the shoes of a parent of a D1 non revenue athlete who had their program cut as a causality of needing to spend more of the athletic budget on revenue sports.

would that person be dumb for being against it?

There are 2 sides here. People not on your side aren’t dumb.

The 99% of NJ taxpayers who don’t give a crap about Rutgers basketball yet pay $25 million plus to pay for RU athletics could also think it is dumb for these athletes to be compensated for playing basketball.

And what about Oregon and Nike…not that we would know anything about Oregon stealing players…😳
Rutgers will not get into the business of running a semi-professional sports franchise. It'll take time but we'll either go back to "participation" is enough and be the dreads of the league forever, or simply decide it's really not worth it.

Reactions: RU2131
The 99% of NJ taxpayers who don’t give a crap about Rutgers basketball yet pay $25 million plus to pay for RU athletics could also think it is dumb for these athletes to be compensated for playing basketball.

But the school is not compensating them! How much do you think these kids are going to make? 99% are going to do some private basketball/baseball/football lessons with kids. Maybe the QB or star point guard will get to do a car commercial. I think you’re over exaggerating

Reactions: cm_13 and kcg88
But the school is not compensating them! How much do you think these kids are going to make? 99% are going to do some private basketball/baseball/football lessons with kids. Maybe the QB or star point guard will get to do a car commercial. I think you’re over exaggerating
Hope you’re right but I don’t think so. The rich will get richer.

Reactions: bethlehemfan

the entire program would have to be retrofitted to an organization that allowed college athletes to be paid.

Billboards on GSP and NJT for all players
RAC renovated to attract big pockets
Salaries of additional fundraisers.

take a look at the size of the athletic budgets Over the year. Even strip out coaches salaries. All to keep up with other programs. This would take it to a whole next level

direct no payments from RU
Indirect tons

when Schiano was talked in to staying it cost the athletic department dearly.

So what you’re saying is Duke and Kentucky and Kansas will get the best players? Hmph
How many athletic programs are net positive?

all the others won’t be able to compete and ultimately be forced in tough decisions.

the irony is ultimately NIL will take opportunities away from many and put $ in a select few.

So what you’re saying is Duke and Kentucky and Kansas will get the best players? Hmph
The concern is 1) they will have guys happy to ride the bench that may have gone elsewhere before 2) guys that may have gone elsewhere will go where the money is - in other words they don’t always get everyone they want 3) blue bloods that are down and as a result don’t recruit well for some period of time will have fewer if not zero down recruiting periods and 4) with the new transfer rules a good player that may have been under-recruited will leave at the earliest opportunity.

How many athletic programs are net positive?

all the others won’t be able to compete and ultimately be forced in tough decisions.

the irony is ultimately NIL will take opportunities away from many and put $ in a select few.

The schools are not paying the players with NIL. It will not harm the schools.

The concern is 1) they will have guys happy to ride the bench that may have gone elsewhere before 2) guys that may have gone elsewhere will go where the money is - in other words they don’t always get everyone they want 3) blue bloods that are down and as a result don’t recruit well for some period of time will have fewer if not zero down recruiting periods and 4) with the new transfer rules a good player that may have been under-recruited will leave at the earliest opportunity.
At the end of the day this hurts RU recruiting and player retention not helps. To what degree remains to be seen.

Reactions: bethlehemfan

Or when the kid who doesn’t get the endorsement opportunities he was promised at the blue blood because he’s suddenly a role player could transfer to another school.

Any state that does sign up now will see all their major state universities become insignificant in athletics no matter what the conference affiliation. Some people may not like the new law but just gulp it down and consider yourself an old timer . It’s not like using a bagman but it is giving our student athletes a chance to do something to enhance their college experience. They may not want to take money for some of their needs from their folks.

Reactions: dpwhite
What I hope is that the players quickly realize that they will be making income, but not also have income with income tax consequences ... they will need some legit guidance accordingly ...you know there will eventually be income tax evasion stories for someone who gets big NIL money and doesn’t know to report it

The schools are not paying the players with NIL. It will not harm the schools.
Indirectly they will. If they don’t make the investments necessary to put players in a position to get NIL the program suffers.

if NIL only means running basketball camps and taking a small cut from EA Sports for use of name than you answer is no. I seriously doubt that’s where it stops.

when East Brunswick Nissan helps 4 star NJ recruit come to RU with a $50,000 advertising deal they will expect bare minimum 8 season tickets in the 100 level. That costs RU indirectly because it is lost revenue.

Reactions: koleszar
What I hope is that the players quickly realize that they will be making income, but not also have income with income tax consequences ... they will need some legit guidance accordingly ...you know there will eventually be income tax evasion stories for someone who gets big NIL money and doesn’t know to report it
All those expenses are going to be incurred by the University to ensure players stay eligible and compliant. We have compliance staff they'll just have to hire more as you now need some new sets of eyes. You'll probably also have to hire some marketing guys to ensure you're maximizing the opportunities to attract better recruits. So in the end it will cost the University something.

Reactions: motorb54
I can see schools hiring consultants "professional boosters" whose job it is to help athletes maximize their NIL money.

Once pandoras box is opened......

The fans arguing against the likeness are actually kinda dumb....they have no context.

A) RU openly promotes through every recruiting mechanism, the alumni in the tri-state area, including Wall Street etc....So, we are 100% OK with Myles Johnson getting an IBM internship, but we don't want Geo Baker to be able to start networking with R alumni, while at the same time, getting something done with image and likeness??

While we are we calling people dumb……Myles goes to the Rutgers College of Engineering, gets good grades, while having an obligation that has him flying all over the country missing classes and we assume Myles didn’t get an IBM internship without basketball?
I’d be pretty confident Myles got the internship because IBM wants the opportunity to see Myles for 3 months and see if he is a type of person they want to extend a full time job to after graduation.

Last edited:

The student should be able to make any decision they want to, just like the regular student population. I didn't prepare for many of my exams at Rutgers and I wasn't even being paid as an alternative ;). The question is why do you care what decisions this person makes?

Put yourself in the shoes of a parent of a D1 non revenue athlete who had their program cut as a causality of needing to spend more of the athletic budget on revenue sports.

would that person be dumb for being against it?

There are 2 sides here. People not on your side aren’t dumb.
This is a really bad take. These non-revenue sports are subsized year over year over year yet the revenue sports get all the bad publicity. I really don't like the entitled non-revenue sport athlete arguments.
Yet they don't think it's dumb to subsidize rowing, fencing, golf, field hockey, softball, soccer, swimming, wrestling, etc. etc.? Prime example of what I mentioned above - always taking out the tax payer argument on the revenue sports.

Reactions: NickRU714 and GRU23
Mr. White…

its 2023 and players can get paid for their likeness. If there was a typical 4 star recruit what do you think his thought process would be regarding NIL? How much money would one expect to make over his career? What do you think the sources of revenue would be? Where do you think earning potential would rank when picking a school?

I think it is Armageddon and you think it won’t amount to that much. I am sure the answer is somewhere in between.

not, currently, being combative. Interested in your thoughts.

The student should be able to make any decision they want to, just like the regular student population. I didn't prepare for many of my exams at Rutgers and I wasn't even being paid as an alternative ;). The question is why do you care what decisions this person makes?

This is a really bad take. These non-revenue sports are subsized year over year over year yet the revenue sports get all the bad publicity. I really don't like the entitled non-revenue sport athlete arguments.

Yet they don't think it's dumb to subsidize rowing, fencing, golf, field hockey, softball, soccer, swimming, wrestling, etc. etc.? Prime example of what I mentioned above - always taking out the tax payer argument on the revenue sports.
In the 1990s arhletic budgets were a fraction of what they are today. Revenue sports are mostly the reason non revenue sports are cut. It requires an S load of money now to run a revenue sport.

I get your opinion that non revenue sports shouldn’t exist. I just don’t agree with it. You can make an argument no sports should exist.

ADVERTISEMENT