ADVERTISEMENT

Georgetown fires Thompson

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
wow. ..end of era for the family. Big john practically lived on campus the last decade with his son coaching.

Do they try and bring in Ewing? Would he make a good college coach?

wow. ..end of era for the family. Big john practically lived on campus the last decade with his son coaching.

I was wondering who they might bring in when I first saw mention of this an hour or so ago. Ewing finished in what - 1985? That's 32 years ago and I have no idea what he's been doing since then, aside from perhaps spending some time in the NBA. Has he been coaching anywhere?

Often, the biggest stars as players don't make it as coaches. Sometimes, the lesser stars are better "students of the game" and can translate into success as coaches.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
wow big time move...I wonder who they are going to consider. Need a certain type of guy there

and where does Thompson Jr go from here? VCU?

Ewing is an assistant coach in the NBA. Georgetown could hire him and hire Raphael Chillious as associate HC and clean up recruiting in the DMV. I'm talking top 5 classes instantly.

And John Thompson Jr would still have his fingerprints all over the program

The Hoyas might return to Princeton and get Mitch Henderson from there like they did T3
Henderson would be a great option based on what he accomplished as the Princeton HC.

Tom Crean might be an option because he's a good recruiter and could be a good fit there because of his time as Marquette's HC , but fresh off the Hoosier firing Georgetown might not look in his direction at first and Marquette was a long time ago. .
But he might be the type of HC Georgetown needs to get back on top.

Erving a long time NBA assistant probably would be the hometown favorite for the job, but his NBA assistant experience doesn't mean success at the top spot in a College program.
Patrick, if hired, probably will need top notch assistants to help him lean how to be a good college HC and recruit the type of talent needed for him to succeed in the BE.

I heard from some G-town alumni that Amaker is a possibility. But, a run at a guy like Collins makes more sense to me.

UMass job just reopened again today... wouldn't hurt for them to give him an interview

Firing Thompson Jr. means that Georgetown was ready to cut ties with Thompson Sr. I believe Sr will never go back to Georgetown for anything and him being a pied piper for all those players in the 80's will prevent any of those players from coming back to Georgetown.

Remember how messy it was for DePaul re: Ray Meyer when they fired Joey? This should be worse, so I would basically go completely outside the "family" if I'm Georgetown.

I really don't know what Gtown is willing to pay, so it's pretty hard to speculate. But with the Big East being good now without the Hoyas, the next coach better get the job done or they risk becoming irrelevant.

Today's kids know nothing of the GT-SJU-Cuse conference; their field of experience is the Nova-Butler-Creighton conference. Georgetown was good in their parents' day. Fix it fast or it becomes ingrained.

Remember how messy it was for DePaul re: Ray Meyer when they fired Joey? This should be worse, so I would basically go completely outside the "family" if I'm Georgetown.

I really don't know what Gtown is willing to pay, so it's pretty hard to speculate. But with the Big East being good now without the Hoyas, the next coach better get the job done or they risk becoming irrelevant.

Today's kids know nothing of the GT-SJU-Cuse conference; their field of experience is the Nova-Butler-Creighton conference. Georgetown was good in their parents' day. Fix it fast or it becomes ingrained.

great points here, this is a different conference now. Gtown can have all the history but that will not matter if a guy cannot coach. Ewing as a coach..well looks good on paper but so did Jordan and Mullin. They are better off going with an experienced and proven head coach from elsewhere. ..Georgetown is in a very dangerous situation here...one that St Johns faced...Gtown survived the Esherick years with Thompson 3 rescuing the program and now will need a similar type hire. Make the wrong one they went settle in the basement like SJU has.

Reactions: RUPete
I heard from some G-town alumni that Amaker is a possibility. But, a run at a guy like Collins makes more sense to me.

Is GTown a clearly better job than Northwestern? Not sure. Collins may be lining up well for Duke.

Reactions: LC-88
Is GTown a clearly better job than Northwestern? Not sure. Collins may be lining up well for Duke.

Great question. Certainly G-town has a MUCH grander tradition. But times are changing.

Thompson was making 3.6 million per, so Georgetown can pay any coach they want as much as it takes to get the coach they want.

What's Allen Iverson doing?
Probably 10 to 20 in the big house

daduntsh.gif

Reactions: bac2therac
If Lonergan didn't screw himself, he would have been a strong candidate for the GTown gig.

I think Hurley and Amaker are certainly possibilities----my dark horse would be Shaka Smart.

Seat getting warm at Texas and he's well thought of in DC area.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
8 out of 13 years....not bad......3 NIT Tourney's.
Different mindset at schools with high expectations for league and national championships based on past success.Georgetown is on a downward path that needs a infusion of new thinking and excitement with the hiring of a new head coach.The salary that they offer will be revealing as to the pool of candidates who would be interested.

Hurley would fit well and probably take the job. This is his window to cash in that he's been waiting for.

Yes, HELL yes.

Access to elite recruits, brand new practice facility, they play in a NBA arena, $3 million per year salary + large budget for staff and recruiting. Getting kids into school is pretty easy, a fan base that only cares about basketball and a basketball centric campus.

Hurley would fit well and probably take the job. This is his window to cash in that he's been waiting for.
Not if JT2 is involved in the hiring process.

Until I hear otherwise the next Georgetown HC will be black, just like the last Georgetown HC.

As for Amaker, I think he's found his niche at Harvard. He had one good season at Seton Hall, was good but not great at Michigan.

Plus Amaker avoids the press and will not do a radio or television show. Don't see how he pulls that off on the Hilltop not with the DC media.

Smart would be a great hire and he would be smart to leave Texas.
That's an interesting point. Smart succeeded big time at a school where basketball was number one. He would be walking into a similar situation at Georgetown in a very fertile recruiting ground. Basketball will always be a distant second at Texas.

Basketball might be fourth on the 40 Acres behind football, football recruiting and baseball.

Smart should be okay there. Texas is in MUCH need of a point guard and Matt Coleman joins the team next season, so that problem is solved

True on hoops being fourth at Texas! That said, the coach won't lack for resources there. I am astounded by the amount of money available and poured into that program.

Basketball might be fourth on the 40 Acres behind football, football recruiting and baseball.

Smart should be okay there. Texas is in MUCH need of a point guard and Matt Coleman joins the team next season, so that problem is solved

but Texas isnt the most patience school around with any of their hires...be it football, mens or womens hoops. If you do not win quick you are gone, if you do not win highly enough you are gone. He is off to a rocky start so far, Gtown would be a much better situation for him in an area he knows well

Texas had been very patient no? Mack Brown and Rick Barnes there forever? Charlie Strong did not get it done and so far Smart has not either. Barnes has done better at Tennessee than Smart at Texas!

Barnes has 31 wins in two seasons at Tennessee. Smart has 31 wins in two seasons at Texas in a tougher conference.

The difference is that Smart had a big drop off from a 20 win first season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT