ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia assistant Fran Brown

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Any chance that Georgia assistant Fran Brown, a high school QB, returns to Rutgers as a co-offensive coordinator with Nunz? Fran was a huge asset at Rutgers before leaving. I assume Rhule at Nebraska has Brown on his hiring list.

People said he wasn’t good enough to be a co-DC last year. I doubt he would be good enough to be a co-OC this year.

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
Well Schiano and Belechick are tight and the Matt Patricia as OC is working out well so there's a chance? BTW Fran Brown would not be nearly as successful recruiting at RU with NIL as he was previously. He saw the writing on the wall and figured if you are not making me DC no way I am passing up on Georgia.

Reactions: JDNB
Well Schiano and Belechick are tight and the Matt Patricia as OC is working out well so there's a chance? BTW Fran Brown would not be nearly as successful recruiting at RU with NIL as he was previously. He saw the writing on the wall and figured if you are not making me DC no way I am passing up on Georgia.

Eh , I don’t buy that Fran brown comment and diminishing his recruiting value in NIL era. Recruiting is still about relationships and reach. Fran is one of the best at that.

Nil just closes out on the top 4 & 5 star guys. Arguably for schools like Rutgers and nearly everyone else except the usual top 15 programs with endless booster money - recruiting (especially at HS level) is still about relationships and winning.

I wouldn't say Matt Patricia is working out well.

Reactions: PaKnight
I’m going to leave the fact that Fran has no experience coaching on that side of the ball. And he would be a bizarre choice for co. But what makes you think Nunz would be a good choice? What have you seen in his 2 stints that make you think he would be something that would attract talent And put points on the board? I like Nunz but he should not be a full time solution for this role.

Reactions: Plum Street
At this point, roster building and retaining real contributors on both sides of the ball is important. Hiring an experienced ex-coach or OC as an offensive analyst (as an alternative to Nunz) to work with Fran Brown might be do-able. Brown wouldn’t be the first college football staff member to learn and take on a different role. And hiring him keeps him off the Nebraska staff, where he will no doubt cleanup as a recruiter of our area, And Fran Brown might even have a Georgia player or two follow him to Rutgers.

RU hasn't quite reached the "roll the ball out there" level of talent. The minimum requirement for an OC is someone who actually knows how to coach offensive players.

At this point, roster building and retaining real contributors on both sides of the ball is important. Hiring an experienced ex-coach or OC as an offensive analyst (as an alternative to Nunz) to work with Fran Brown might be do-able. Brown wouldn’t be the first college football staff member to learn and take on a different role. And hiring him keeps him off the Nebraska staff, where he will no doubt cleanup as a recruiter of our area, And Fran Brown might even have a Georgia player or two follow him to Rutgers.
I think it’s possible he could end up on the Nebraska staff. I mentioned when Joseph offered Brown’s son it might be a harbinger for Rhule and Brown to Nebraska in the future. Unless it’s a promotion to DC, I could see Brown stay at UGA too though. A national champion and playoff contender is a good place to be career wise unless a promotion comes along.

I think it’s possible he could end up on the Nebraska staff. I mentioned when Joseph offered Brown’s son it might be a harbinger for Rhule and Brown to Nebraska in the future. Unless it’s a promotion to DC, I could see Brown stay at UGA too though. A national champion and playoff contender is a good place to be career wise unless a promotion comes along.

You don't leave Georgia for a lateral move.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Since this thread is an out of the box OC hire, how about one of these:

Scott Frost--he did well as an OC.

Mark Helfrich- has not done much after being fired as Oregon HC and one year as OC in name at the Bears.

Troy Walters- was OC under Frost at UCF and Nebraska. Currently WR coach at the Bengals.

Just throwing out wild cards since it seems that Greg might be having a hard time finding someone to take the job.

Reactions: Plum Street
He's a DB coach at Jawga, though he could be making Big Ten OC money.

So you have zero interest in hiring an OC who actually has experience coaching Offense (that’s what the O in OC stands for btw)

You’re only requirement or prerequisite is regarding recruiting NJ?
Unsure if this is a serious thread.

So you have zero interest in hiring an OC who actually has experience coaching Offense (that’s what the O in OC stands for btw)

You’re only requirement or prerequisite is regarding recruiting NJ?
Unsure if this is a serious thread.
Aww, c'mon now. Fran played QB in high school.

Did you know that Scott Frost started as a defensive coach for the first two years of his coaching career? He stepped in at Oregon as a WR and OC coach and crushed it! He was a QB too.

If we are having problems finding someone to say yes, I'd give Frost a shot. Or Helfrich.

out of box OC choice: Me
and first thing I'd do is turn RU into a Wishbone offense.

While others wait for the call.,I call and every time I do Greg hangs up on me.
No wonder Schiano hasn't hired an OC yet, he refused to listen to the most qualified candidate for the job and gets a restraining order against him so he'll stop calling about being the OC

K.C. Keeler makes between $400-$500K as Sam Houston head coach. Ryan Carty at Delaware probably makes something similar. Not sure what we are looking to spend.
And here’s the article on the previous OC search. Enjoy …

K.C. Keeler makes between $400-$500K as Sam Houston head coach. Ryan Carty at Delaware probably makes something similar. Not sure what we are looking to spend.
And here’s the article on the previous OC search. Enjoy …

Been saying this for years for Keeler being at least OC, and even HC.

ADVERTISEMENT