ADVERTISEMENT

Gio is a very Loyal Son

RAA-1

All Conference
Jan 28, 2004
Princeton
Even if he doesn't play a down at QB this year, Gio is very refreshing as a person in this age of "me first". Perhaps he can be a coach some day but I have to believe he will be successful in any career he may choose.

From NJ.com;
"No, I'm Rutgers until the day I die,'' Rescigno told NJ Advance Media. "I'm staying here. It's not something I'm thinking about. I'm worried about this team right now. I'm Rutgers all the way through and through.''

Last edited:
More quotes:

"Absolutely, I embrace (the competition),'' Rescigno said. "I'm going to treat it the same way I've been doing it since I got here. I'm going to keep working hard, fighting for the job, but at the same time I'm going to push them. I want to make them better. Art, Johnathan (Lewis), all of the other quarterbacks are tremendous players. I enjoy being around all of them. I enjoy working with them. I enjoy getting them better.''

"He's helped me every single day,'' Sitkowski said. "He was my brother of trust when we did the Brother-of-Trust workout. He was my partner when we did the Valentine's Day workout. I"m always asking questions -- 'How do I deal with certain coverages, how do I deal with this and that?' I'm just thankful to have him help me every single day and not be like other (quarterbacks at) other schools where 'he's my competition so I'm not going to help that kid.' But he's truly taken me under his wing and he's truly helped me.''
Lewis echoed that sentiment, adding: "Since I've been here, Gio has been like my big brother. He's been teaching me all the ins and outs. He's been teaching me pretty much how to be a college quarterback and how to be a college student, and how to carry myself off the field."
-----
Gio is all class. Must have great parents and support system.

giovanni-rescignojpg-974e0dfc3037750d.jpg

Gio Rescigno's Jersey is proudly displayed at Salumera Ercolano on 1072 West Side Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07306, near the old Puccini's restaurant. I used to work with his aunt who is a teacher at the school up the street from the restaurant. Her husband is the owner of Salumera's and they serve some pretty damm good food there. They're also pretty damm nice people there as well.

http://salumeriaercolano.com/

Last edited:
The way he has handled his tenure here speaks well of him and his family but also addresses the kind of culture Ash and the staff has developed here. I really hope for good things for this group of players and coaches. They are fighting an uphill battle against the perception with which this program has been saddled and they deserve to get it over the top. Go RU

I still don’t think it would be a terrible idea to have Gio start against Texas state for a half and then get thrown to the wolves at Ohio state for the first half . Then go to who is the number 1

Yup, so much more to this thing than who’s taking first team snaps. The quote from Art says a lot. Gio gets it. Even if he’s not the starter he’s contributing by sharing his experience, guidance, advice with whoever is the starter, helping that guy succeed. It’s more than just throwing and catching at this level

With that said, toward the end of the spring game, I saw him on the sideline with the other QBs, visibly aggravated about something. It wasn’t directed at anyone in particular, assuming it was because of an on the field issue, which is to say he’s still competing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
Absolutely. Anyone who wants to shit on him or his playing should think twice. He got us through two tough years. Perhaps without him, we don't get Lewis, Sitkowski or Chatman.

Think about that before you make disparaging comments about him.
I think your lumping two different things into one category here. If people sh*t on his playing ability it's not like they're condemning him as a person. I for one don't think he's B1G caliber material and have stated so. I have also stated as a person he's exactly who you want in that locker room leading the way. His work ethic, commitment and other attributes are exactly what you want younger guys emulating.

I think your lumping two different things into one category here. If people sh*t on his playing ability it's not like they're condemning him as a person. I for one don't think he's B1G caliber material and have stated so. I have also stated as a person he's exactly who you want in that locker room leading the way. His work ethic, commitment and other attributes are exactly what you want younger guys emulating.
I have know problem with what you said. Some others have been downright insulting.
As far as being B1G caliber material, he did win us 3 B1G games last year (or at least helped to win us 3 B1G games). Obviously, we have better alternatives, but he can get in a B1G game and make things happen if we need him.

Reactions: koleszar
Perfect backup to Sitkowski should he be the starter. Team player who all the players love and solid in ways some folks don't understand. A leader with captain quality.

Last edited:
I still don’t think it would be a terrible idea to have Gio start against Texas state for a half and then get thrown to the wolves at Ohio state for the first half . Then go to who is the number 1
no way. Young guys need the reps. The O is just different with Art in there

Gio wants to be a phys ed teacher back in Michigan. I think he’s content riding into the sunset and completing his degree this year.

All indications are he is a great teammate

Absolutely. Anyone who wants to shit on him or his playing should think twice. He got us through two tough years. Perhaps without him, we don't get Lewis, Sitkowski or Chatman.

Think about that before you make disparaging comments about him.
Lighten up Francis.

Gio wants to be a phys ed teacher back in Michigan. I think he’s content riding into the sunset and completing his degree this year.

All indications are he is a great teammate

And you know this how? I find it hard to believe he is willing to give up his starting spot, thats just a silly statement. No QB at any D1 program willingly hands over their starting spot.

And you know this how? I find it hard to believe he is willing to give up his starting spot, thats just a silly statement. No QB at any D1 program willingly hands over their starting spot.

I don't think he is "willing to give up his starting spot". He's gonna battle for it. But he's not going to disrupt his collegiate career if it doesn't go his way, either.

I know this because we have mutual friends. Gio is highly self aware. He knows Sitkowski is highly touted and brings alot. There's no shame in losing a spot to a guy as talented as Art. NOT saying that he wants to lose it. He'll battle, he's a warrior.

I don't think he is "willing to give up his starting spot". He's gonna battle for it. But he's not going to disrupt his collegiate career if it doesn't go his way, either.

I know this because we have mutual friends. Gio is highly self aware. He knows Sitkowski is highly touted and brings alot. There's no shame in losing a spot to a guy as talented as Art. NOT saying that he wants to lose it. He'll battle, he's a warrior.

OK, my bad, I thought you were referring to his starting job, but it sounds like you were referring to him staying at RU and not transferring

no way. Young guys need the reps. The O is just different with Art in there

You’re probably right . I just don’t like the idea of throwing a true frosh into the fire at Ohio state in basically the first game of the season.

You’re probably right . I just don’t like the idea of throwing a true frosh into the fire at Ohio state in basically the first game of the season.
Me either but you play the cards you are dealt.

IDK, pair of 8s or K&2. Which hand would you play?
When the king has proven he can’t hit the side of a barn I go with the 8’s.
Was I stretching it to think the K was (kinglewis) and the 8 is Sitkowski number?

When the king has proven he can’t hit the side of a barn I go with the 8’s.
Was I stretching it to think the K was (kinglewis) and the 8 is Sitkowski number?
8s = Gio
king&2 = Sit

Maybe Sit is more like King & 8

Gio is a very talented golfer, which he plans to pursue! There's zero truth to him wanting to be a Phys Ed teacher! Funny how people make completely false statements with such confidence!

Gio is a very talented golfer, which he plans to pursue! There's zero truth to him wanting to be a Phys Ed teacher! Funny how people make completely false statements with such confidence!

I didn't make it up. Can I ask you -- WHY would I make that up? What exactly is the motivation? So one day when he's a phys ed teacher I can say, "YEP, TOLD YA SO!" No. I've just heard that's one of his aspirations.

Great that he wants to be a pro golfer.

Reactions: RU62
I didn't make it up. Can I ask you -- WHY would I make that up? What exactly is the motivation? So one day when he's a phys ed teacher I can say, "YEP, TOLD YA SO!" No. I've just heard that's one of his aspirations.

Great that he wants to be a pro golfer.
You're source is dead wrong. So much so that its truly laughable. But, whatever! LOL

You're source is dead wrong. So much so that its truly laughable. But, whatever! LOL

Ok. So he's wrong. Good to know. But, I didn't "make it up". There's no reason for me to just make something like that up.

He got a team 3 big ten wins last year that had no business winning 3 big ten games and tied for 9th in the conference last season after 1 FBS win the year before. Good player and great guy. Remember at one point he was the back up back up. He is a leader!

He got a team 3 big ten wins last year that had no business winning 3 big ten games and tied for 9th in the conference last season after 1 FBS win the year before. Good player and great guy. Remember at one point he was the back up back up. He is a leader!

He is a wonderful teammate, leader, classmate, representative of the school, class act, golfer, friend, etc.

However, he does not appear to have the polish, talent, or potential of a strong Big 10 QB.

Art has demonstrated the potential to be a great QB — in any conference.

Art is the future of Rutgers Football.

#StartArt

Is Gio going to persue a career as a club pro or assistant pro?
That’s a cool profession...if he has any aspirations of becoming an actual touring pro, that would be madness.

He is a wonderful teammate, leader, classmate, representative of the school, class act, golfer, friend, etc.

However, he does not appear to have the polish, talent, or potential of a strong Big 10 QB.

#StartArt

With a name like Giovanni, he will never have the Polish. Artur definitely has the Polish. So he's got that going for him.

#StartArt

Would love it if Art is the real deal but I still don't like the idea of throwing him to the wolves immediately especially with OSU as our second game. I would love to see him take over the starting job during week 3, or in the fourth quarter of the OSU game (a la Tom Savage during the Cincinatti game).

Tommy.. and just what or who is your reliable source regarding Gio as potentially not going into teaching or coaching. I think you may be wrong in your commentary.

Reactions: TommyB17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT