ADVERTISEMENT

Gio the Dual Threat QB

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore

See 0:58, 1:20, 2:25, 2:57, 3:20, 3:50, 5:30, 6:00, 6:45
He makes some nice cuts and sheds tackles.
6'3" 240 (that's what his 247 profile says) and he ran a 4.71 40.

I honestly think Ash meant it when he said the QB situation is wide opened. Dare and Gio both must be excited about the possibilities ahead for them. As I see it the QB's and the LB's will be the most interesting positions to watch this spring. That plus the health of Hamilton and Turay.

Gio played a lot of positions in HS, as he had a 5 star QB ahead of him, and only played 9 games his senior year. So lack of experience may work against him. Wonder if they could move him to WR or tight end if QB does not work out?

Knight Shift, anything is possible with this staff simply because it is new and has no built in bias for or against any of these players. If they think Gio would be better at WR or TE I am sure they will take a look at him there. Personally I think Flood was pretty good at identifying talent. He seems, however, to be poor at utilizing it. Let's hope there is more talent in the program than we realize and that this staff has the ability to put it all together. I am getting excited, I don't really know why but I am

Flood was a robot. His inability to adjust to anything was his downfall.

Flood was a high school Arithmetic teacher who coached high school football on the side - He moved to coaching full time at a lower collegiate level - and progressed through positions in a journeyman fashion - not in the least bit innovative & never leaving much of a legacy behind - not imaginative or creative - just being generally serviceable at fulfilling his duties. Issues & problems were dealt with like basic arithmetic - there would be one answer & once he determined the answer, he saw no reason to revisit the question - since he could see no other plausible solutions.

Gio played at a very low level of competition and only started one yr in HS. Very raw and gets very few reps in practice. That's a tough uphill climb.

Reactions: lisamarie256
Was wondering what you thought about Gio's running ability. Not interested in re-burying Flood again.

Ahhh usually manage to suppress it - but once in a while the frustration with Flood's steadfast resistance to learn new things about new/ non-starting players just leaks out.

Gio has genuine potential and I'm optimistic that he will get a genuine opportunity to put it on display

the past regimes (schiano and flood) were extremely quiet in interviews with the media.

ash is very vocal and open. we will know what he thinks about rettig, laviano, and gio right from spring practice.

I don't think so. I think people didn't trust Flood's handling of the position. If the new staff picks Laviano I will have confidence in the decision being the right one.
There WILL be an epic core meltdown if Ash leaves Laviano in after throwing five picks, and claiming he needed the game time experience. 99.99999% sure that won't happen thankfully. If he does, I'm going to buy him a stack of notepads, and a box of pens.

I found Oden's tape to be more impressive. Gio just doesn't have enough zip on his throws (some real floaters that would be pick-6s against top competition); like him better as a TE.

Gio played at a very low level of competition and only started one yr in HS. Very raw and gets very few reps in practice. That's a tough uphill climb.

Very low level of competition? YIKES.... this is not true! It's actually the opposite! I live in the Detroit suburb of Warren, MI (Gio attended Warren De LaSalle High School which is a member of the Catholic High School League)... this league is TOP-NOTCH competition. In fact, De LaSalle is a member of the Central Division of the Catholic League, which was named the 5th toughest high school football league in the nation!
Linky:
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/2ylOE8...igh-school-football-leagues-in-the-nation.htm

Sure, Gio is raw, and only started one year in high school (he was behind 5-star recruit Shane Morris during 10th and 11th grade).... but rest assured that he was playing against the best competition when he finally got his shot Senior year! The Catholic league is so tough, other Michigan schools don't want to play against the Catholic League teams (out of fear of not getting enough wins to make the State playoffs). Check out this article about how difficult it has become for the Central Division Catholic League teams to fill their OOC schedules.... these tough Catholic League teams must look out of state for willing OOC opponents!
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/n...ams-have-hard-time-filling-schedules-locally/

I think Rutgers has a heck of a diamond-in-the-rough in Gio, and if he is developed, he could possibly become a very good B1G QB.

I hope Gio does well with Rutgers, and I believe he will.

Last edited:
Very low level of competition? YIKES.... this is not true! It's actually the opposite! I live in the Detroit suburb of Warren, MI (Gio attended Warren De LaSalle High School which is a member of the Catholic High School League)... this league is TOP-NOTCH competition. In fact, De LaSalle is a member of the Central Division of the Catholic League, which was named the 5th toughest high school football league in the nation!
Linky:
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/2ylOE8...igh-school-football-leagues-in-the-nation.htm

Sure, Gio is raw, and only started one year in high school (he was behind 5-star recruit Shane Morris during 10th and 11th grade).... but rest assured that he was playing against the best competition when he finally got his shot Senior year! The Catholic league is so tough, other Michigan schools don't want to play against the Catholic League teams (out of fear of not getting enough wins to make the State playoffs). Check out this article about how difficult it has become for the Central Division Catholic League teams to fill their OOC schedules.... these tough Catholic League teams must look out of state for willing OOC opponents!
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/n...ams-have-hard-time-filling-schedules-locally/

I think Rutgers has a heck of a diamond-in-the-rough in Gio, and if he is developed, he could possibly become a very good B1G QB.

Facts have no place with ScarletNJ. It's amazing how idiotic he is willing to make himself look so consistently.

Linky:

We like to eat our own here. It's much easier to do that when talking out of your arse ,which is another favorite post time of some in our fan base. Everybody and everything about our program sucks right now, and Ash will not be able to develop Gio because he stayed to coach in the bowl game.

Reactions: RUforester72
Haha innermind destroyed Scarletstateofnj! 'Oh I must have been thinking of another out of state parochial league that i follow'...

Anyway, thanks for uncovering this video. Great film. I'm sure DM sees Gio.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I have said this when everyone was going on about us not having a duel threat QB.. erm.. actually we do...

I don't think he was a good fit in the pro-set and he had little chance to see the field under Flood, but at least now he will be given a chance.

Hard to understand why this kid didn't get some playing time, along with Rettig.
Two schools of thought. They say if you have more than one QB there are not enough reps to develop them and the Offense. That is what you see in the NFL basically.

When Schiano bolted our last coach came in and said one QB and he will be given time to develop. our fans were so excited because so many killed Schiano for his handling of QBs. I personally think Schiano was okay with how he split time and it usually was with good reason. One thing that we can guarantee is if we play well most fans will love the HC and QB while a handful will complain incessantly anyway. If we play bad more people complain about the HC and QB.

I definitely think Rettig should have gotten more time. Playing a third QB is extremely tough when you consider the rep issue.

Ash said everything is wide opened and I believe him. Apparently the QB's do as well or at least one of them would have jumped ship by now so let's just see how it shakes out.

Interesting, but I don't think I've ever seen a QB's highlight tape with that many drops in it. I am thinking the talent around him, in high school, wasn't that good so maybe he really shines with some decent talent.

Wanna bet?
I'd bet a glass of 21 year old Scotch.

I couldn't care less who the QB turns out to be (although it's interesting and exciting to discuss). I'll be perfectly happy with whoever the coaching staff chooses. Because it's really not rocket science who starts at QB.

But logically speaking, Laviano has the best shot at it. He runs well, he had pretty good situational awareness for a first year starter (yes, even with the 4th down spike), did a good job of recognizing the defense, did a very good job of understanding the offense. His major weakness is that he doesn't have the kind of amazing arm that pro QB's have to have. But I've also observed him throw the crap out of the ball, so his arm is good enough for the college game.

Which is why he played. He was the best at all those other things and had a good enough arm. All the bullshit people like to make up about why Flood chose him as QB over Rettig is just that: logically unsupportable bullshit. Flood was coaching for his job. As was his staff. They were going to put whoever the best option was in at QB. And they did.

Flood's weakness, in terms of QB play, wasn't in identifying the best option. It was inflexibility about yanking the starter to give the backup a chance when the starter was sucking it up. And there was nobody to coach up the QB either. Fridge showed what a good coach can do for a QB, developmentally. We really didn't have that before Fridge and certainly not after him.

So yeah, the competition will be wide open (again). But I think Laviano is most likely to get the starter spot. Can he hold it once he gets it? That I wouldn't bet on.

I don't think so. I think people didn't trust Flood's handling of the position. If the new staff picks Laviano I will have confidence in the decision being the right one.
I think you're giving us too much credit. It would be logical to conclude that if two completely different staffs choose Laviano that Laviano must be the best choice we have. But this fan-base is not often logical when it comes to QBs.

Interesting, but I don't think I've ever seen a QB's highlight tape with that many drops in it. I am thinking the talent around him, in high school, wasn't that good so maybe he really shines with some decent talent.
I thought the exact same thing about showing drops on perfect throws.

That statement is not true at all. He actually played in one of the toughest divisions in the state of Michigan!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT