ADVERTISEMENT

Glen Mason on HPSS

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
** obviously we're all well aware of this already, however:

"Let me tell you something ....this place right here in Piscataway...High Point Solutions Stadium... when they get this going at Rutgers...when they get this place packed...this is gonna be a snakepit this place is LOUD!"

I'll say it again: I have NEVER heard (edit) 35,000 or so people as loud as that stadium was last night and watching on TV, now, verifies that IMHO.

Last edited:
Like you said, we all know this and hopefully B1G opponents start to realize it as we continue to build the program. Having just been at Michigan with 111,000 other people, it's amazing to see how 35,000 can be louder.

"Let me tell you something ....this place right here in Piscataway...High Point Solutions Stadium... when they get this going at Rutgers...when they get this place packed...this is gonna be a snakepit this place is LOUD!"

I'll say it again: I have NEVER heard 40,000 or so people as loud as that stadium was last night and watching on TV, now, verifies that IMHO.
'Twas an angry crowd last night my friends.

I'll say it again: I have NEVER heard 40,000 or so people as loud as that stadium was last night and watching on TV, now, verifies that IMHO.

Wasn’t even close to 40k there..which makes it even more impressive.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
I was at Purdue, thought that the crowd #'s were pretty weak there as well, but thought those in attendance did a good job in that one too.

Was impressed that day too in that those who came, stayed.

Reactions: RC71
I know us jersey die hards are loud but is there some thing else going on in terms of acoustics? Ive heard vague references about that..

35K, whatever...

30k whatever.
Makes this all the more impressive how loud our loyal fan base is.

We have all experienced the insane presence RU fans make at Bowl venues. Whether it’s 8000 in the Insight Bowl or 14,000 at the Texas Bowl , RU fans are as rabid as they come and can take over a Stadium with our noise.

I know us jersey die hards are loud but is there some thing else going on in terms of acoustics? Ive heard vague references about that..

No, there isn't (just stand under a speaker if you believe otherwise), and the "rumors" were from a single former Penn State OL(?) who, iiRC, was from New Jersey.

It's the design of the stadium, with the lower bowl being in the ground, that helps to make it so loud. My Lord if we're EVER able to "deck" one end, or the other, I can't even begin to imagine how loud it would be.

30k whatever.
Makes this all the more impressive how loud our loyal fan base is.

We have all experienced the insane presence RU fans make at Bowl venues. Whether it’s 8000 in the Insight Bowl or 14,000 at the Texas Bowl , RU fans are as rabid as they come and can take over a Stadium with our noise.

ASU fans sitting near us in the upper deck were absolutely stunned.

Reactions: TB4RU
If we beat Indiana, then the last game may be us playing for a bowl vs. them playing for a BiG championship game. I would imagine this being a packed crowd and the loudest the stadium has been since 2006.

Imagine how loud we will be when the north end gets its upper deck. Hope i live to see it.

Reactions: hbbsm713
It's the design of the stadium, with the lower bowl being in the ground, that helps to make it so loud. My Lord if we're EVER able to "deck" one end, or the other, I can't even begin to imagine how loud it would be.
FWIW, I been in Section 207 and 110 among other seats. It's LOUDER in the lower level. I can't imagine how it is on the field itself.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I was surrounded by Maryland fans but it was a lot of fun. This Maryland family in front of me; the Mom and her three daughters were screaming the whole game while the husband sat there like a lump of clay. It was kind of funny. But the stadium was very loud and it was harder to get out of the place than it was for Purdue.

Arrived home around 10:30 but the five hours of driving was well worth it. Great game.

I'll say it again: I have NEVER heard (edit) 35,000 or so people as loud as that stadium was last night and watching on TV, now, verifies that IMHO.
Yes--it gets loud at the stadium. Even louder than previous years. There is a reason---take a look behind both 50 yard lines and in front of the student section---there are microphones there collecting the noise and they are piped through the speaker system. There was a complaint last year by one team that we piped in extra noise. We really didn't. We just make the noise louder.

Yes--it gets loud at the stadium. Even louder than previous years. There is a reason---take a look behind both 50 yard lines and in front of the student section---there are microphones there collecting the noise and they are piped through the speaker system. There was a complaint last year by one team that we piped in extra noise. We really didn't. We just make the noise louder.
uh oh :grimace:

Just need the crowd to realize every down on defense is important, not just 3rd downs and late 4th qtr.

Stop. Please. It's virtually impossible to be loud like that for EVERY down, 4 quarters - 60 minutes - while on D. It doesn't happen anywhere else, either, ever.

lol okay...AS SUCH that's called "piped-in noise" aka ARTIFICIAL NOISE which is 100% illegal per NCAA regulations. If you think we're pushing that through the speakers system - and are THAT obvious about it - I don't know what to tell you. That being said go stand under a speaker next game and let us know how it goes for you.

If true, I would imagine the conference wouldn't be happy with that, as that sounds like an unfair advantage. Do you know this for sure?

I sit upstairs but was downstairs for the WVU snow game.

When Juwann Jamison went in on 4th down I was on my way to the bathroom because my kids were too cold.

It sounded like a bomb went off. Pretty sure that was "pre-mic" days. (insert eye-roll emoji guy here)

What makes it "louder" is the stadium is built into a natural bowl of bedrock. All of the noise is contained inside the bedrock and reverberates around the bowl with no way to escape. You can ask fans and players going back into the 1940s and they will tell you Rutgers Stadium has always been much louder than any other stadium ... and microphones have nothing to do with it.

The mics on the field are pick-ups for the TV feeds not for replays through the speakers. :rolleyes:

Wrong ....please move on

It's a simple explanation. On big downs on D we all stand up and yell like crazy. And we get on each other to make sure everyone is doing it. I remember a few games ago there were some newbies in our section. I got up to cheer on 3rd down and they yelled at me to sit. A little later in the game they we standing up with the whole section feeling like the noobs they were.

No, there isn't (just stand under a speaker if you believe otherwise), and the "rumors" were from a single former Penn State OL(?) who, iiRC, was from New Jersey.

Uh....dude you are literally describing acoustics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT