ADVERTISEMENT

Good Paul Mulcahy piece from OTB

Let's have him step on the floor and earn minutes before having him average 5 assists per game. This is a reckless article in my opinion.

Next up...Myles Johnson averages a double double.

Reactions: RU-Choppin-Ohio
https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/7/3...ext-season-big-ten-brian-ellerbe-eddie-jordan

Interesting piece about Paul and the potential for him to have a positive influence on our team's offense. The embedded video from a game last year was insightful, too.

I really like Mulcahy's game, but I suspect the Big 10 will be a big adjustment for him, so I do not expect great things from him this year. As for the video, his 18 assists also owed much to the fact that Gil was a very unselfish team who made several passes to find the open shooter. As a team they also had several outstanding 3-point shooters that allowed them to spread the floor.

I really like Mulcahy's game, but I suspect the Big 10 will be a big adjustment for him, so I do not expect great things from him this year. As for the video, his 18 assists also owed much to the fact that Gil was a very unselfish team who made several passes to find the open shooter. As a team they also had several outstanding 3-point shooters that allowed them to spread the floor.
Pikiell was at the GSB/Trenton Catholic game. He said he kept his own stats and thought Paul got gypped. He had him down for 21.

The article has some points that supports Mulcahy being an additional resource that helps spread the ball around and being unselfish.

The rest is pure speculation and based on some assists stats, that are really only based on the finishers around the guards. Team assists is more important than anyone individually gathering assists.

For the record, in the article it says at some point during his career.

I am fully aware of that.

While the amount of minutes Mulcahy plays next season is something to watch for, it seems only a matter of time before the talented guard breaks the long streak of a Rutgers player averaging 5+ assists per game in his career.

Mulcahy’s ability to break opponents down off the dribble with a quick first step and having the presence/feel to find the open man will be a major key to next season and beyond for Rutgers. It’s what makes him so dangerous in transition and beginning next season, he will have plenty of capable options to choose from on the break. He will be a challenging matchup for most opponents due to his size at the point guard position and his relentless pace in which he plays. Attacking the rim and shooting the basketball, both within rhythm of the offense, is something players will benefit from, as Mulcahy can dictate the flow through his style of play.

66 players last year in D1 basketball averaged 5.0 APG. I'd think he'd need to play 30+ MPG and have the ball in his hands a lot to achieve 5.0. Definitely possible, but not a matter of time.

In what world is saying Paul can average 5 assists a game at some point in his career reckless? Give me a break. Pike and others have said things like this is the best passer I've seen in HS bball in 20 years but it's RECKLESS to say he might get 5 assists a game?? If this is solely based on the whole "he's a freshman who hasn't played a minute" tired argument then just don't read any articles on players until they step foot on the court.

Not only is it not reckless, it's more likely to happen than not

In what world is saying Paul can average 5 assists a game at some point in his career reckless? Give me a break. Pike and others have said things like this is the best passer I've seen in HS bball in 20 years but it's RECKLESS to say he might get 5 assists a game?? If this is solely based on the whole "he's a freshman who hasn't played a minute" tired argument then just don't read any articles on players until they step foot on the court.

Not only is it not reckless, it's more likely to happen than not

Bingo!

From the article:
While the amount of minutes Mulcahy plays next season is something to watch for, it seems only a matter of time before the talented guard breaks the long streak of a Rutgers player averaging 5+ assists per game in his career.

Aaron never guaranteed it, which would be a little aspirational, but that it could happen. And what I just quoted said "in his career" which doesn't imply his Freshman year, either.

Reactions: Scangg and dpwhite
Bingo!

From the article:

Aaron never guaranteed it, which would be a little aspirational, but that it could happen. And what I just quoted said "in his career" which doesn't imply his Freshman year, either.

"Seems" is always a key word. It's different than "will," as you are pointing out.

Seems only a matter of time.

To me that pretty much assumes Paul will do something that hasnt been done at RU for 40 years.

To me that pretty much assumes Paul will do something that hasnt been done at RU for 40 years.

"Seems" is the important part of this sentence. It is not a guarantee. It is not "will." From Aaron's perspective, this is what he thinks may (please note the word may) happen.

I don't usually take issue with your takes, but I'm more defending Aaron's writing than your worry about Paul.

Mulcahy is going through his adjustment right now. I am sure he is spending more time in the gym than ever.

Let's have him step on the floor and earn minutes before having him average 5 assists per game. This is a reckless article in my opinion.

Agreed .... might be 10

I believe there is a good chance Paul will average more assists than points as a freshman. It’s also very likely that he leads the team in assists. He is a pass first, second and third type of point guard. Not sure if he will start at any point of the season but there will be many games where he is the clear point guard for long stretches.

Don’t mind a prudent speculative article written after a month of watching an incoming frosh scrimmage with and against college teammates rather than watching scrimmages heading into the senior year of high school and writing a speculative positive piece about how a player’s game will translate to the high major college level.

Sounds like there’s some validation for the premise in article.

GO RU

I enjoyed the OP clip because I really appreciate the style of ball Gill St. Bernard's plays. I'd love to see Rutgers be a team like that. Having said that, I couldn't tell much from watching that high-school clip how his game would translate to B1G play. There are some really stiff defenses.

I'm hopeful though. It's one of the dramas that makes watching college ball fun.

Greene - You certainly are a fan and have a lot to offer this board.

But have you thought how boring would this board (and life, for that matter) be if reasonable people couldn’t take information and try to portend what might happen in the future? It seems that you only want us to discuss what has already happened, and you eschew any reasonable speculation, especially if it is positive.

In my opinion, posts like the one above are unnecessary and a buzzkill. Why do you think that you do that?

Last edited:
Yardbarker carried the article today as one of four or five under College Basketball, with the headline, Why Paul Mulcahy will Make the Rutgers Offense Better next Season--first RU story can remember seeing in Yardbarker, which arrives by email every day.
TL

In keeping with the “glass half-empty” outlook of several on this board...cue the concerns over his jumper and defense. What a joke. Going to be an excellent player and huge contributor to the future success.

Reactions: RUHouston

Your reading apprehension on this article is suspect. There were plenty of positive mentions of his skill set as of today. Writer also mentioned areas he needs to improve on. Based on info in article writer gave an opinion as to why at Some point in future he has a chance to average 5 assists a game. Article informative and not at all recklass

Last edited:

Your correct on that but within the timeframe of his RU career, not his freshman season, although maybe it happens as afresman

ADVERTISEMENT