ADVERTISEMENT

Good story about Willard from Seton Hall.

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Met him last night at function in West Orange.
Nice man and very complimentary of Pike and program…fully expects another trip to the NCAA’s for us in 2022.
I asked him about upcoming game with us, and without knowing asked him if game was at The RAC….Answer:!

“F’k that place, I will never bring my team there again, that is the most difficult road venue I’ve ever brought a team to, and I’ve been everywhere”
“Moving forward, after the game at The Rock this year, we need to play this game at a neutral site somewhere, The RAC is a friggen nightmare”
Lol

Nice man and very complimentary of Pike and program…fully expects another trip to the NCAA’s for us in 2022.
I asked him about upcoming game with us, and without knowing asked him if game was at The RAC….Answer:!

“F’k that place, I will never bring my team there again, that is the most difficult road venue I’ve ever brought a team to, and I’ve been everywhere”
“Moving forward, after the game at The Rock this year, we need to play this game at a neutral site somewhere, The RAC is a friggen nightmare”
Lol
My friend loves coaching for him.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I don’t think he would have said that to a non RU fan.

The 1st 7 or so minutes were crazy 2 years ago.

that was one of my favorite RU sporting events of all time.

I think the shock of that blitz of a game is absolutely why Willard & co nearly dropped the series and I think the after effects of that beat down still are in their minds.

The positive for playing at the RAC is that it prepares you for hostile environment games going forward.

It hurts you based on the disadvantage you have AND it mildly hurts when you have a recruit that both RU and SHU go after. The game shows the stark contrast between game day environments at both schools.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Willard is afraid to play at the RAC now that Pike is coaching legitimate D1 talent, doubt he was such a p^ssy about coming to the RAC in the Eddie J years. ( We know Rice had Willard on the run too until the implosion.)

Just a thought here, and I’m one of those long term season ticket holders and donors… the RAC and SHI can be a great atmosphere and provide a real home court advantage. But it must be loud and festive…. Yet I continue to hear, from many folks that fit my profile that it’s too loud, or I don’t like this or that music (just look at the football board today). One of the biggest complaints we hear concerns standing on third downs or down the stretch in close hoop games. 😳

We can’t have it both ways… complainers need to adjust to the reality that loud and festive is a good thing (adjust your thinking, embrace it, participate, or consider watching on TV). What is most important is that the players love it, the large majority of fans love it, and the opponents hate it.

love the quote

what makes it even better is that the Hall usually finds a way to get several thousand fans into the RAC, more than other
fan bases..

and, more we still make it that painful venue for Willard

Wheezer, this year we will set a record for season ticketholders. Few left in 200 level. Once we get substantial numbers of season ticketholders in the 300 level, they won’t get that chance to get many tickets at The RAC. Season tickets are only $300. Rutgers Ticket Office phone number is 866-445-4678.

Just a thought here, and I’m one of those long term season ticket holders and donors… the RAC and SHI can be a great atmosphere and provide a real home court advantage. But it must be loud and festive…. Yet I continue to hear, from many folks that fit my profile that it’s too loud, or I don’t like this or that music (just look at the football board today). One of the biggest complaints we hear concerns standing on third downs or down the stretch in close hoop games. 😳

We can’t have it both ways… complainers need to adjust to the reality that loud and festive is a good thing (adjust your thinking, embrace it, participate, or consider watching on TV). What is most important is that the players love it, the large majority of fans love it, and the opponents hate it.
The best loud and festive is provided by us, from actual human lungs, and not a speaker.

That’s not having it both ways, that’s having it the RIGHT way.

Last edited:

Lol
This is such a great story and a hilarious genuine reaction

I hate SHU basketball but think the rivalry is very important and should be maintained on a home and away basis. If he is being serious and wants to play on a neutral court then I say we drop it. Just because the SHU can’t generate a home court advantage like we do at the RAC.

The best loud and festive is provided by us, from actual human lungs, and not a speaker.

That’s not having it both ways, that’s having it the RIGHT way.
For the most part my comments are addressing the folks that don’t want it too loud and festive. I agree that piped in music and speakers can be over the top, and I have said so in the post game surveys several times. But there are many fans that always complain when people stand on third and fourth down when it should be loud even during big games. They are the folks that won’t (or unfortunately can’t) stand and get loud during key stretches late in a hoops game. I see it as making it loud and difficult is the right way.

I sat through too many games for too many years where the atmosphere was lame, when the “us” you refer to wasn’t loud or festive. I want everyone to have a good time at our games, but I’m standing and yelling and if I get to the point when others doing it is an issue for me, I’ll either have to learn to deal with, or participate in it, or watch from home.

Anyone that was a student back in the late 80s/early 90s know that the RAC can be an unbelievable home court adavantage without technology.
Easier to be engaged and loud when you didn't have a computer in your pocket. Those days are gone.

For the most part my comments are addressing the folks that don’t want it too loud and festive. I agree that piped in music and speakers can be over the top, and I have said so in the post game surveys several times. But there are many fans that always complain when people stand on third and fourth down when it should be loud even during big games. They are the folks that won’t (or unfortunately can’t) stand and get loud during key stretches late in a hoops game. I see it as making it loud and difficult is the right way.

I sat through too many games for too many years where the atmosphere was lame,
when the “us” you refer to wasn’t loud or festive. I want everyone to have a good time at our games, but I’m standing and yelling and if I get to the point when others doing it is an issue for me, I’ll either have to learn to deal with, or participate in it, or watch from home.
I think we are agreeing more than disagreeing but part of that lameness was the product/results on court and field.

There needs to be a reason to get loud and get up.

Reactions: hoquat63
love the quote

what makes it even better is that the Hall usually finds a way to get several thousand fans into the RAC, more than other
fan bases..

and, more we still make it that painful venue for Willard
In 2019, SHU had maybe 500 at the RAC.

I hate SHU basketball but think the rivalry is very important and should be maintained on a home and away basis. If he is being serious and wants to play on a neutral court then I say we drop it. Just because the SHU can’t generate a home court advantage like we do at the RAC.

100% agree with this.

ADVERTISEMENT