ADVERTISEMENT

Grant news

The angst around this topic is vividly descriptive of how far we haven't come as a team.

I don't think the angst is a function of how far we haven't come. I believe that the fans of almost every team, dare I say even pro teams, would have a good deal of angst wondering why they haven't been told and therefore do not know if the most explosive player or playmaker on your team is returning next year. If Patriot fans did not know if Brady was returning next season do you think they would be experiencing some angst? Grant is, arguably, the most important player in the program. That in and of itself is reason for angst, regardless of the rest of the team. I think the angst is simply because we have heard nothing, absolutely nothing, about whether he returns or not.

I don't think the angst is a function of how far we haven't come. I believe that the fans of almost every team, dare I say even pro teams, would have a good deal of angst wondering why they haven't been told and therefore do not know if the most explosive player or playmaker on your team is returning next year. If Patriot fans did not know if Brady was returning next season do you think they would be experiencing some angst? Grant is, arguably, the most important player in the program. That in and of itself is reason for angst, regardless of the rest of the team. I think the angst is simply because we have heard nothing, absolutely nothing, about whether he returns or not.

Apples and oranges.

The Patriots are an NFL team and Tom Brady is a professional. He's under contract with the Patriots. There is, generally, an expectation that players will be with a team for as long as they're productive and a good fit. The expectation is fairly open-ended.

College teams all have one thing in common that sets them apart from the pros. There is a time limit on players. They are temporary. They will ALL leave in, at most, 5 years (having played for four). So the college fan has to develop a much more detached perspective on personnel.

200px-Lou_Grant_Ed_Asner_1977.JPG

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Apples and oranges.

The Patriots are an NFL team and Tom Brady is a professional. He's under contract with the Patriots. There is, generally, an expectation that players will be with a team for as long as they're productive and a good fit. The expectation is fairly open-ended.
College teams all have one thing in common that sets them apart from the pros. There is a time limit on players. They are temporary. They will ALL leave in, at most, 5 years (having played for four). So the college fan has to develop a much more detached perspective on personnel.

You are missing my point. You implied that the angst many of us are feeling is because RU isn't any good, or as you put it, how for we haven't come. I am simply saying that fans of any team at any level regardless of whether they are good or not would be experiencing angst if one of, if not the, most important players might or might not be on the team next year. The angst is a function of simply not knowing. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the team is.

You are missing my point. You implied that the angst many of us are feeling is because RU isn't any good, or as you put it, how for we haven't come. I am simply saying that fans of any team at any level regardless of whether they are good or not would be experiencing angst if one of, if not the, most important players might or might not be on the team next year. The angst is a function of simply not knowing. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the team is.

No. I never said "because". Correlation does not imply causation. I said it was reflective.

The point being, if we were good, we wouldn't be so wrapped up with Janarion Grant because people wouldn't be fussing that he's the only great player on the team. There would be a dozen other great players. There's be somebody on the depth chart behind him waiting to take over. We'd be expecting him to go to the NFL and would be looking forward to watching the next guy for a few years.

If, as you said, all this angst "is a function of simply not knowing" then I would suggest that a lot of people here need better things to do with their lives.

No. I never said "because". Correlation does not imply causation. I said it was reflective.
The point being, if we were good, we wouldn't be so wrapped up with Janarion Grant because people wouldn't be fussing that he's the only great player on the team. There would be a dozen other great players. There's be somebody on the depth chart behind him waiting to take over. We'd be expecting him to go to the NFL and would be looking forward to watching the next guy for a few years.
If, as you said, all this angst "is a function of simply not knowing" then I would suggest that a lot of people here need better things to do with their lives.

So, if our recruiting class is the worst in the BIG and I don't want to say it is because Ash is a bad recruiter I can simply say it is reflective of his inability to recruit? Also, having "dozens" of guys waiting in the wings to fill in for those who leave implies the team is elite. I contend that even an elite team would have fans who would be experiencing some angst if their most significant player's stautus was unknown to them. I suggest that even Clemson fans would have been experiencing a weeks worth of angst if their QB decided to wait until today to announce his decision to go pro. Again, in a situation like this where there are rumors and tweets and myriad opinions being voiced about everything from who the new assistant will be and who will and won't commit there has been virtually nothing on Grant. Has he received a waiver? Did he even apply for one? Do we know? Is he eligible? Has he said anything about returning or going pro? The lack of any information (real or imaginary when it comes to this board) is very different and has many people confused. That, I believe, has more to do with the angst than whether or not we are a good or bad team.

So, if our recruiting class is the worst in the BIG and I don't want to say it is because Ash is a bad recruiter I can simply say it is reflective of his inability to recruit? Also, having "dozens" of guys waiting in the wings to fill in for those who leave implies the team is elite. I contend that even an elite team would have fans who would be experiencing some angst if their most significant player's stautus was unknown to them. I suggest that even Clemson fans would have been experiencing a weeks worth of angst if their QB decided to wait until today to announce his decision to go pro. Again, in a situation like this where there are rumors and tweets and myriad opinions being voiced about everything from who the new assistant will be and who will and won't commit there has been virtually nothing on Grant. Has he received a waiver? Did he even apply for one? Do we know? Is he eligible? Has he said anything about returning or going pro? The lack of any information (real or imaginary when it comes to this board) is very different and has many people confused. That, I believe, has more to do with the angst than whether or not we are a good or bad team.

Yes. You definitely need some direction in life. That's just way too much text to devote to the topic.

I got stuff to do. Try not to slit your wrists or anything.

Unless something has changed since last week, he will be back. The father of another player spent New year's with Jg, and posted on rutgers Facebook that janarian was 100% coming back. He said jg doesn't talk to the press.sleep.good

Yes. You definitely need some direction in life. That's just way too much text to devote to the topic.

I got stuff to do. Try not to slit your wrists or anything.

Ok, and I appreciate your concern for my well being. Thanks for the exchange. It was fun.

RU4REAL

While I appreciate your comments usually...this one really does matter

Reality is grant is worth two more wins next year than we would have without him

At a point where tangible improvement in the program will be needed to continue recruiting momentum....I think this is really an important topic...even if it is the difference between 2-10 and 4-8

Reactions: ScarletStateofNJ
what is the word on Grant's recovery - back to 100% yet - or is there still a bit more progress to be made?

RU4REAL

While I appreciate your comments usually...this one really does matter

Reality is grant is worth two more wins next year than we would have without him

At a point where tangible improvement in the program will be needed to continue recruiting momentum....I think this is really an important topic...even if it is the difference between 2-10 and 4-8

See, we're just gonna have to disagree on this point, because I don't buy into it.

Over the course of his career, when Rutgers is losing (which we were doing in every game, except for the two we actually won), Grant has 11 catches for 80 yards with no touchdowns and 8 return attempts for 37 yards - total - and one TD.

The math doesn't suggest that he would have made a difference.

See, we're just gonna have to disagree on this point, because I don't buy into it.

Over the course of his career, when Rutgers is losing (which we were doing in every game, except for the two we actually won), Grant has 11 catches for 80 yards with no touchdowns and 8 return attempts for 37 yards - total - and one TD.

The math doesn't suggest that he would have made a difference.
Is this a typo, mistake, or are you just way off on the facts?
"Over the course of his career, when Rutgers is losing (whch we were doing in every game, except for the two we actually won)".
I'm assuming you mean in the games Grant played in this past season and not over the course of his career.

Is this a typo, mistake, or are you just way off on the facts?
"Over the course of his career, when Rutgers is losing (whch we were doing in every game, except for the two we actually won)".
I'm assuming you mean in the games Grant played in this past season and not over the course of his career.

Those are his career numbers at moments when Rutgers is losing.

It's an easy breakdown - you score a touchdown, it happens when you're already winning, when you're losing or when the game is tied.

Apples and oranges.

The Patriots have also gone 14-6 in games Brady has missed since 2008. I don't think there would be as much angst as there might ordinarily be.

Those are his career numbers at moments when Rutgers is losing.

It's an easy breakdown - you score a touchdown, it happens when you're already winning, when you're losing or when the game is tied.
I would suggest you revisit your methodology, because there's a flaw in it somewhere.

Wazzou game from last year. Twice he scored when Rutgers was losing, once on a KO and once on a punt, both times giving us back the lead. Also scored on a KO against Michigan last year when we were behind. So off the top of my head, that's three TD's alone. I'm not going to go through all the kickoff returns for his career to count up the yardage. Also, we all know very well that two of the three years he played he practically rotted on the bench untouched except for kickoffs and punt returns, so his receiving numbers are pretty much from spot duty and 3 1/2 games.

Reactions: cicero grimes
All I know is he was killing it last year ... He was doing Matrix moves last year, even the one he got hurt against Iowa. If he comes back, Morpheous told me he's the one.

is he staying or going???? I know today is the last day to declare.

is he staying or going???? I know today is the last day to declare.

Please add a question-mark to the subject of this thread.

This is not meant to be a criticism of your grammar; rather simply a request from someone who is tired of click-bait and "fake news".

I read your comment history and know you have much more value to add to this forum, so consider this more encouragement than anything.

Reactions: knightsru
what is the word on Grant's recovery - back to 100% yet - or is there still a bit more progress to be made?
If he stays, it suggests to me that he is still not 100%.

Not being able to effectively show himself, his quickness and his speed at NFL showcases, in my mind, is the reason he would stay.

ADVERTISEMENT