ADVERTISEMENT

Great article on Soccer and how it could relate to RU soccer

snowboarder

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2004
I just read a great article on soccer. I have heard many that don't understand the game say that the US will never be good because our best athletes don't play soccer in this country. I have always laughed at this perspective as it ignores the evidence presented so many times on the world's most significant stages. (Spain, Barcelona) Given that this is a Rutgers board, I will add that Rutgers can distinguish itself among the areas top players by committing to a style of play that will emphasize beauty of play over athletic prowess. Todays top players are more aware of the quality of play competing universities. Rutgers soccer could set itself apart by being unique in its approach to the game. The talent level in the program now is good enough to play technically entertaining soccer, it is my hope that the staff will recognize it before its too late.

I would think he needs to win this year to keep his job. Is he known to have a preferred style of play and tries to recruit kids for that style or just get the best kids and adapt? Seems to me that those who are much closer to the program have been critical of his choice of positions for some of his most skilled players. The few times I have seen them play the emphasis is on the long ball out of the back to change field position rather than retaining possession and working the ball down the field. My take of your comments is that you think there is still enough talent in the program to get this done. Assume the rumors of more defections have not come to pass thus far?

College soccer needs to get in line with the international rules. This unlimited substitution stuff makes for such herky jerky no flow games. Hard to have a style when people are coming and going every second. This was the thoughts of an associate head coach at a Big East school whom I am friends with.

Originally posted by snowboarder:
I just read a great article on soccer. I have heard many that don't understand the game say that the US will never be good because our best athletes don't play soccer in this country. I have always laughed at this perspective as it ignores the evidence presented so many times on the world's most significant stages. (Spain, Barcelona) Given that this is a Rutgers board, I will add that Rutgers can distinguish itself among the areas top players by committing to a style of play that will emphasize beauty of play over athletic prowess. Todays top players are more aware of the quality of play competing universities. Rutgers soccer could set itself apart by being unique in its approach to the game. The talent level in the program now is good enough to play technically entertaining soccer, it is my hope that the staff will recognize it before its too late.
Let hope the entertaining part you suggest ends in more W's.

I'm talking about a developed identity that would help Rutgers attract the best players. A winning record is not enough at this point. The top kids will not even look at us anymore with the style of play that we have shown over the last few years.
Go watch PDA and NY Redbull academies play, their styles attempt to mimic the play of professional teams. It is infinitely more controlled and possession oriented. The modern players are more educated as to how they want to play and the coaches at these academies are very aware of the programs that do make an attempt play more attractively. From the perspective of many of those coaches, we are moving in the wrong direction.

I hear what your saying but our bottom line is to win. Results are what is needed across the board in RU Athletics.

If this is how we get there, awesome.

Are there any guys in the the academies who are allowed to play college soccer?

ADVERTISEMENT