ADVERTISEMENT

Great Coaching

mydameisdick

Redshirt
Jan 28, 2004
1/3 of the way through the year and I'm very impressed with this staff. I really don't understand a few of the negative posts in regards to the coaching. The off the field is a million times better, the recruiting is better, the team looks prepared and there is a noticeable improvement in size/tackling/lack of quit.

Does anyone not think this guy will produce with his own guys and a couple years to develop them? If so why?

1/3 of the way through the year and I'm very impressed with this staff. I really don't understand a few of the negative posts in regards to the coaching. The off the field is a million times better, the recruiting is better, the team looks prepared and there is a noticeable improvement in size/tackling/lack of quit.

Does anyone not think this guy will produce with his own guys and a couple years to develop them? If so why?
Im sure and hope he will. However you are missing the point of many. Right now he is trying to fit a square through a round hole. He needs to put the players that best fits his style of play on the field.
Are you happy/impressed with the red zone play last week??

Reactions: RU Golfer
I absolutely love the aggressive approach especially going for it on 4th downs. I have total confidence they will get it done. But they were put in a tough spot in certain positions. Let's give them a little slack while they figure out the limitations of our players.

Reactions: vkj91
As long as the team is making progress each week you have to be happy and I think they are making progress each week so far(this week could get really really ugly). We will see how this year ends up. Let's see how the team plays after playing OSU and the Khakis.

You don't understand? This board is out of its collective mind, hence, you're going to get some "outliers" who will hate everything Ash does, lol, that's all you need to know!

I absolutely love the aggressive approach especially going for it on 4th downs. I have total confidence they will get it done. But they were put in a tough spot in certain positions. Let's give them a little slack while they figure out the limitations of our players.
I'm generally happy with the coaching, but three things I don't like:
1. 1st and goal at the 3 and we run 4 plays parallel to the goal line and not one directly at it
2. IMO we don't hit the receivers on the line of scrimmage enough
3. In the Iowa game, the woman sitting next to me was calling each of our first down plays before they happened. I have to figure the opposing coaches probably figured them out also.

Reactions: Debtbubble
I'm generally happy with the coaching, but three things I don't like:
1. 1st and goal at the 3 and we run 4 plays parallel to the goal line and not one directly at it
2. IMO we don't hit the receivers on the line of scrimmage enough
3. In the Iowa game, the woman sitting next to me was calling each of our first down plays before they happened. I have to figure the opposing coaches probably figured them out also.

My thoughts:

1) we've been over this ad nauseum so I won't bother (don't disagree, however...)
2) we don't have the right guys to do that. Bottom line. Grant and maybe Harris have the ability to make those kind of plays properly.
3) Yeah, well, that play IS used the majority of the time to open up the pass and option game. It does get a little monotonous, no doubt, but get used to it.

For the past number of years (8-10) I had built the impression that this team had a major problem with penalties in their opening games. This year they have appeared much more focused and proficient in that area. So I went back and looked at the numbers for the past 9 years.

Thru 4 games this year, RU has been assessed 4.5 penalties and 44.5 yards per game.

Those same numbers, averaged over 2012-2015, are 8.0 penalties and 69.1 yards. The last four years for Schiano (2008-2011) the numbers were 6.8 penalties per game and 46.6 yards.

For the past number of years (8-10) I had built the impression that this team had a major problem with penalties in their opening games. This year they have appeared much more focused and proficient in that area. So I went back and looked at the numbers for the past 9 years.

Thru 4 games this year, RU has been assessed 4.5 penalties and 44.5 yards per game.

Those same numbers, averaged over 2012-2015, are 8.0 penalties and 69.1 yards. The last four years for Schiano (2008-2011) the numbers were 6.8 penalties per game and 46.6 yards.
Certainly a step in the right direction.

I really like what I've seen from Ash, however:

1)There have been questionable coaching decisions. Whether that be play calling, or timeout usage, maybe player usage.

2)Recruiting looks good, but he needs to seal the deal on this class b4 I give him full credit. Flood had an impressive recruiting class going at one point in time as well.

So yeah, like what I'm seeing overall, but it's early, and even then it's certainly not in the realm of great.

Good coaches. Things are bad but could be oh so much worse. The QB thing is boring because this team isn't winning anyway, Too many problems. Throwing in an Oden to get hurt and demoralized early in career would be something some fans deserve but thankfully Ash doesn't give a corn kernel about the static.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
Im sure and hope he will. However you are missing the point of many. Right now he is trying to fit a square through a round hole. He needs to put the players that best fits his style of play on the field.
Are you happy/impressed with the red zone play last week??

And he knows and admits that and is clearly working the round pegs into the mix as quickly as he can get them prepared. Don't know how people can't see that. Might not be fast enough for some people, but there's a reason he's the one making millions and we are the ones posting on message boards!

Reactions: G-Bake
I dont know why one cant love the coaches, but call out their mistakes. That doesnt mean we dont like them

I am all in on Ash and Co. They are going to get it done here, IMO. but that doesnt mean i cant point out the mistakes i think they make.

Now, those saying the sky is falling (very very few)...they are a different story and would do the same even if urban had a bad day...

Reactions: WhiteBus
And he knows and admits that and is clearly working the round pegs into the mix as quickly as he can get them prepared. Don't know how people can't see that. Might not be fast enough for some people, but there's a reason he's the one making millions and we are the ones posting on message boards!
He may admit it but he keeps playing Laviano in a system he cant handle. We all have seen that. We don't need to be head coaches to see something so obvious.
And Im on record to give him time, like 3 years time. However, if the team is going to struggle than let them struggle with kids that are going to be part of the future. We have seen the best of what CL has. There is no more upside. And yes I feel bad for him that the offense has changed, doesn't fit his skill set but it isn't a reason to keep playing him. And read SirScarlet post.

Reactions: RU Golfer
A learning process for all involved but I am liking Ash's bad days better than Floods good days.

He may admit it but he keeps playing Laviano in a system he cant handle. We all have seen that. We don't need to be head coaches to see something so obvious.
And Im on record to give him time, like 3 years time. However, if the team is going to struggle than let them struggle with kids that are going to be part of the future. We have seen the best of what CL has. There is no more upside. And yes I feel bad for him that the offense has changed, doesn't fit his skill set but it isn't a reason to keep playing him. And read SirScarlet post.

As I watched the game, I actually thought Laviano made some really good plays. Particularly on a few instances where he made the decision to run and ended up with big gains. It's still my feeling that the main problem is the lack of protection he's getting from the OL and he's forced to get the ball off a little too quickly. True he's made some poor choices in finding available receivers but seems that's mainly due to lack of protection and not having the necessary time to throw and he ends up forcing it too much.

Having said that there were some encouraging signs from overall team execution on several running plays. I really liked how Martin was hitting the line very quickly and the overall surge of the OL on those plays. I think Ash is doing a good job getting us to play at a faster pace which is necessary for the type of offense he's implementing.

I like the improvement in conditioning, defense, and effort/attitude thus far. I don't like the spread offense type system (always my opinion, dance, shuffle, chuck & duck) and have doubts it will ever work here. I think you tailor the offense to the skill set we have now then transition as your type players get recruited in. The goal should be winning games not developing young players at the expense of sacrificing winnable games and a season to do so. If you get a bowl, you have an extra month of practice to develop those young players anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT