ADVERTISEMENT

Great Environment

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Had the pleasure of attending last nights game with a great RU fan and wonderful dude, Rutgers Ra Ra.

We sat directly behind the home team bench and could hear everything coach Pike and his assistants said to the players...what a tremendous defensive effort they put forth.

The crowd, the noise, the dancers, the cheerleaders, the band were awesome and produced a great college atmosphere.

I don’t care what it’s like at our opponents venues, all I know is we have a great place to play.

A college basketball thread yesterday on Reddit about the game, a Duke and 2 Michigan St. fans were telling everyone the RAC could become a "graveyard" for elite teams if we get consistently good.

Man to have those days bac when ESPN would have us in the top 3 roughest arenas to play in.

Anybody know what the plan is for the offices above the RAC? Everybody’s moving to the new building, right?

People constantly talk about what a S-hole the place is but it really can have a great atmosphere. It just sucks so much because we don’t win much.

Reactions: leonh71
Had the pleasure of attending last nights game with a great RU fan and wonderful dude, Rutgers Ra Ra.

We sat directly behind the home team bench and could hear everything coach Pike and his assistants said to the players...what a tremendous defensive effort they put forth.

The crowd, the noise, the dancers, the cheerleaders, the band were awesome and produced a great college atmosphere.

I don’t care what it’s like at our opponents venues, all I know is we have a great place to play.

And all that with the students on break!

Anybody know what the plan is for the offices above the RAC? Everybody’s moving to the new building, right?

People constantly talk about what a S-hole the place is but it really can have a great atmosphere. It just sucks so much because we don’t win much.

My understanding is that they will convert the office space over the main concourse (with the glass wall overlooking the court) to a Hospitality area or club. The remaining office space (behind the stands) will probably remain as office space. Not everyone will move to the new building.

Coach Pike fully engages with his players on the bench and goes out of his way to include the kids who have basically no chance to get into the game.

I love a coach who understands how important his least contributing players are to the success of the team...Pike gets that and the guys at the end of the bench appreciate the hell out of it.

Last edited:
My understanding is that they will convert the office space over the main concourse (with the glass wall overlooking the court) to a Hospitality area or club. The remaining office space (behind the stands) will probably remain as office space. Not everyone will move to the new building.

Would have to realign court . You can not see the whole court from a majority of those windows.

Coach Pike fully engages with his players on the bench and goes out of his way to include the kids who have basically no chance to get into the game.

I love a coach who understands how important his least contributing players are to the success of the team...Pike gets that and the guys at the end of the bench appreciate the hell out of it.

This can't be understated

weighing the nearly 40 years being a season ticket holder, win or lose (less so) it's always fun going to the RAC especially with my kids and now my grand kids

A college basketball thread yesterday on Reddit about the game, a Duke and 2 Michigan St. fans were telling everyone the RAC could become a "graveyard" for elite teams if we get consistently good.

Man to have those days bac when ESPN would have us in the top 3 roughest arenas to play in.
One poster called the RAC "The Afghanistan of cbb" because schools go there to die when Rutgers is balling.

Would have to realign court . You can not see the whole court from a majority of those windows.

I don't think they are planning to have game seating there (like the Stadium club). The plan is to move the current Hospitality Area which is used pre-game and halftime. (At least that was the plan 2-3 years ago, last time I discussed it with someone.)

attendance was 5379...it was a great crowd for that number and not too many OSU as in prior years. Big that number has to go up. We need to get more actual students in the student section. Unfortunately it seems like every big game where its almost sold out and the students are there, the team doesnt perform all that well. Northwestern is before students come back I think but there will be plenty of opportunities for fans to get out and support this team

It certainly was electric last night. We needed that W and hopefully the players now have more confidence. I think Brandon Knight did the scout report for the Ohio State game. He was wonderful at our Court Club meeting Monday night. Now we just need a good report on Eugene.
As for the RAC I still hope that the area behind section 118 can have additional seating added over the next few years. I think 10-12,000 seating capacity would make the RAC so much more special.

Zap, was Pike reminding the guys on the bench that he wants to see more “ball reversal!”? I heard him repeat that a few times when I sat behind the bench at the Miami game.

And you’re right, he truly appreciates every guy on the team and treats them all with respect, as he does for us fans as well. Guy is the genuine article.

Last edited:
I remember back a few years ago, I think during the Waters' era, we were considered the most hostile place to play in college basketball.

That would be a much better place to have the pre-, post, and half time events that are hosted in the back corner, for sure!

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I came to the board to ask about the environment last night. It looked like the Harper to Mathis alley-oop really set the place off. Glad to hear many thought it was an excellent vibe in the RAC.

The RAC so badly needs many updates. The main entrance and corridor areas on each side need major face lifts.

I've also heard the same regarding the offices potentially being used for premium hospitality (heard that a long time ago so not sure if its still part of the plans). I've been part of a few of the pregame ones in the back corner and its so amatuer hour back there that its embarrassing. You're trying to entertain high net worth donors essentially under the bleachers with really poorly catered food.

I don't think they are planning to have game seating there (like the Stadium club). The plan is to move the current Hospitality Area which is used pre-game and halftime. (At least that was the plan 2-3 years ago, last time I discussed it with someone.)

Ok makes sense. This is how it was when I was a kid and my dad ran the court club . Pregame we had a card to go up there and I will always remember those fresh Rac brownies

It was a great atmosphere. I sat behind the scorers table and gave holtmann hell all night surrounded by some great RU fans and 2 brutal ohio state fans, in particular this guys wife who as the gentleman behind me said, couldve used a good smack

As for the RAC I still hope that the area behind section 118 can have additional seating added over the next few years. I think 10-12,000 seating capacity would make the RAC so much more special.
I'd like to see them get rid of the office space and add seating as was originally planned.

49946807_10216125425021454_7871790827175936000_o.jpg

On the RAC-o-meter.
1 being Coppin State on a Tuesday and 10 being UNLV is 1992 or UCONN in ???? last night was a 6. I felt like the RAC never really came alive last night.

Reactions: BigRnj and shields
On the RAC-o-meter.
1 being Coppin State on a Tuesday and 10 being UNLV is 1992 or UCONN in ???? last night was a 6. I felt like the RAC never really came alive last night.

Fans have been conditioned by two decades of losing. If Geo Baker hit a 50-footer to beat the #1 team in the country this year the RAC would not hit a 10 on that scale.

Now, if that happens 3 years from now when we're competing for an NCAA bid, that's a different story.

Who the F was it that let out a yell before both of Doorson’s foul shots in the second half?

Did anyone else hear that SOB?
It was definitely an Ohio State fan. It came from behind the OSU bench. Those tix are reserved for players' families, administration, and big donors of the opponent.

Who the F was it that let out a yell before both of Doorson’s foul shots in the second half?

Did anyone else hear that SOB?

There were a couple Ohio State clowns in 212/213 doing this before a few of the free throws.

This is actually more distracting when the building is dead silent than a bunch of people making noise at once.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Maryland And Ohio State turnouts the past 2 games. I thought their fans would make more of a showing, especially Maryland.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
ADVERTISEMENT