ADVERTISEMENT

Great gut check win yesterday - now what?

Westcoast

Heisman Winner
Nov 14, 2001
Portland Oregon
Now that we finally get our invite to the Ball, what are we going to see?

Is the B1G tourney now just an afterthought?

Does the team feel like their mission has been accomplished and mentally check out?

Are they excited to play in the Big Dance or just satisfied to be there?

I feel like yesterday was more relief than jubilation. Im worried they are spent. Im hoping having some fans in the seats will create the type of atmosphere at the Big Dance that will get them going again after what has to have been a difficult season. I was there on Providence and Atlanta for their last 2 games. It really is a special feeling.

Im praying we're not going to see two one and dones. But it wouldn't surprise me.

Let's try the glass half full (or more) approach. They've won two out of their last three games and are totally capable of winning a game or two in both of the tourneys. If they play defense the way they're capable of and get contributions from enough players, they could go even further than a couple of games. Be excited! It's a fun time. And I'm sure the players are excited and are certainly not satisfied. They want to go as far as they can, probably more than the fans.

it seems that the team that eventually wins it all, be it in the NCAA or league tourney, has a close call, almost lost game along the way...... many times it is not the final game, but the first or second game.... the final game could actually be one of the easiest (Nova, eg)

with that line of thinking, you have to expect any or all teams to have that gut check moment, and we hope to survive

Winning a second game as a 7-seed in the B1G tourney will be just as hard as winning a second game as a 10-seed in the NCAA tournament.
It will probably be like winning a second round games as 8/9 seed. Top 4 seeds in B10 tourney could be 1 seeds

Now that we finally get our invite to the Ball, what are we going to see?
jpgrqs2z5lcx.gif

I think the weight of the world has been lifted from their shoulders, and they will now be able to play basketball without thinking about the 30-year drought. No more dry mouth, no more tightness. Just play the game.

I think they come out loose and energized, and like Shack said, if they hit shots, they can beat anybody in this conference (assuming they bring the energy on defense and on the glass).

If this team views the B1G Tournament as an afterthought, shame on them.

If we as fans view the B1G Tournament as an afterthought, shame on us.

The tournament is about much more than NCAA seeding. It's about the opportunity to win a B1G championship. Something we have never done in any of the 22 sports in which we compete.

ADVERTISEMENT