ADVERTISEMENT

Great news for Isaiah Wharton and the D as a whole

imbazza2

Junior
Jul 9, 2009
As some may know BTN last week said Austin could be one of the best corners in the league. I agreed with that assessment at the end of last season.
My concern was Wharton as he got burnt, stoned, or toasted no matter how you call it too many times last year
he was recently knighted aka Per Ash = he is game ready. (Many who have not noticed ash is still wearing a black strip on his back.)
Wharton has the ability to be a good college DB, but to date (last seen in spring game) I saw need for much improvement. His improvement is most likely getting good tutelage and he is listening!!!
What this means if like what BTH said the Dline is the strength with good depth, our defense well surprise many.
Yes I knew we had one solid DB it looks like we may have some balance
no he is not Austin but he could be a solid DB

Not-for-nothing but I sure as hell HOPE that one of our starting corners is "game ready." Shit, I hope ALL of our starters are "Knighted" by next week if they haven't been already. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the "Knighting," just think this was pretty much expected, no?

Great news nonetheless!

BTW - I think we all knew that the DL would be the best unit of the 3 on that side of the ball. The D SHOULD be better IMHO, but that's relative and breaking in 3 completely inexperience LB's is going to take it's toll, regardless of talent, just like when we had to break in an almost entirely new defensive backfield (more than once, unfortunately...). That being said I'm thinking we see about a 20-30 spot jump for Mr. Wharton's secondary this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
Wharton had his moments last year as well. I think both can be good Corners and playing press allows them to be more aggressive. Nothing like giving cushion to elite WR's with no game experience. Just like QB, the dbacks get better year on year. also we have reserves this year. Both guys played banged up which makes it that much harder.

there we not many freshman playing corner for a reason.
that said both our corners got ripped as green freshman. The aggressive play of Austin and his good hip rotation and hands showed he could develop into a Logan type of CB
BTW I was impressed with Logan when he first played but got toasted at times as well but we see that worked out for the best. Just saying we got 2 CB that will shine this year
they as the whole D will make Rutgers proud

Last edited:
Throwing a bunch of freshmen out there in the secondary is a recipe for disaster and last year, Rutgers had about 5 freshman who played a lot out there.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Throwing a bunch of freshmen out there in the secondary is a recipe for disaster and last year, Rutgers had about 5 freshman who played a lot out there.
Keep in mind we also lost some pass pressure in Hamilton and with lack of depth at CB they played a lot.. too much. No rotation and foes knew we were not deep there... made them work hard.

Reactions: RUinBoston
A lot has to do with on the field positioning, lining up and coaching. I think Bush will do a better in coaching the db''s than Rossi etc.

A lot has to do with on the field positioning, lining up and coaching. I think Bush will do a better in coaching the db''s than Rossi etc.
I think experience trumps coaching in this case by a wide margin. The old staff had a great D in 2012 because they were all experienced guys. Perhaps they learned their craft under Schiano but the Flood staff did nothing to hurt that Defense with their schemes (Offense ... never mind lol). In 2013 we had a bunch of true freshman due to graduation and and kids quitting (the latter falls on the staff IMO) and our schemes looked terrible. Then we returned all of those young guys and a few vets in 2015 and our schemes looked OK as we go 8-5 and crush UNC. Then we lose 6 D backs in 2016 due to stupidity and our schemes look bad again.

Don't get me wrong, I hated our soft zones and dropping Deering 40 yards from the LOS before the snap. Hated it. But when we had quality and depth we did not do those things (2012 and 2014). Something to chew on.

Reactions: phlop87
I believe the D will be better than most expected. I have no reason to believe it other than pure optimism but I do believe the coaching will be better (even if only by default, it really can't be worse) because these guys appear to have a good grip on the situation. Additionally the team is a little older and a little more experienced. Add in the new arrivals and I think we can be optimistic on both side of the ball. Do not misunderstand, I am not saying a championship but I can see a 6/6 bowl eligible team. I hope so anyway.

A total of 7 played including 4 true freshman, not all played a lot.

Secondary may not qualify as "great", but they will be solid/improved. Experience and depth will help.

So, when does ash get knighted? Before the first game? After? After the first win?

As some may know BTN last week said Austin could be one of the best corners in the league. I agreed with that assessment at the end of last season.
My concern was Wharton as he got burnt, stoned, or toasted no matter how you call it too many times last year
he was recently knighted aka Per Ash = he is game ready. (Many who have not noticed ash is still wearing a black strip on his back.)
Wharton has the ability to be a good college DB, but to date (last seen in spring game) I saw need for much improvement. His improvement is most likely getting good tutelage and he is listening!!!
What this means if like what BTH said the Dline is the strength with good depth, our defense well surprise many.
Yes I knew we had one solid DB it looks like we may have some balance
no he is not Austin but he could be a solid DB

I think experience trumps coaching in this case by a wide margin. The old staff had a great D in 2012 because they were all experienced guys. Perhaps they learned their craft under Schiano but the Flood staff did nothing to hurt that Defense with their schemes (Offense ... never mind lol). In 2013 we had a bunch of true freshman due to graduation and and kids quitting (the latter falls on the staff IMO) and our schemes looked terrible. Then we returned all of those young guys and a few vets in 2015 and our schemes looked OK as we go 8-5 and crush UNC. Then we lose 6 D backs in 2016 due to stupidity and our schemes look bad again.

Don't get me wrong, I hated our soft zones and dropping Deering 40 yards from the LOS before the snap. Hated it. But when we had quality and depth we did not do those things (2012 and 2014). Something to chew on.

I hadn't thought about Deerings move to safety in a long time ... That was the worst Def set I can recall seeing in my years of following football

I hadn't thought about Deerings move to safety in a long time ... That was the worst Def set I can recall seeing in my years of following football

That combo at safety of Deering and Tejay Johnson was brutal.

I also disagree with OP. Wharton is the more complete corner at this time. Austin has more natural athletic ability though. He just needs to get the ball. He has no problem covering, just doesn't stop the play.

Wharton was a freshman last year!

I was impressed as hell w him, especially given the staff.

This D will surprise people.

From your lips to God's ears but you've got to remember: 3 NEW, inexperienced LB's, are starting in the middle. Some posters here are seriously underestimating what a problem this has the potential to be for us in 2016. HC's/OC's are going to game plan specifically to take advantage of the middle. Now I expect improvement due to having some experience in the secondary AND coaching, however, I'm not expecting miracles. One step at a time but Ash WILL get us there!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT