ADVERTISEMENT

Great Time Saturday

JhawknZona

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2002
Just wanted to thank your fans for your great hospitality. I had a great time (never expected to win) and everyone was very friendly. Only one complaint. If I heard one more person tell me,"at least you have basketball" I was going to flip out! Hardly a big complaint, but we lost and I'm a huge football fan!

Glad you had fun. My daughters in-laws are both Jayhawk alum and I took them to the game and they had a ball despite having to pay for dinner on the outcome.

Thanks for posting. I will be in Lawrence for the RU game in 2018. Hopefully, both teams will be playing at a higher level by then.

Just wanted to thank your fans for your great hospitality. I had a great time (never expected to win) and everyone was very friendly. Only one complaint. If I heard one more person tell me,"at least you have basketball" I was going to flip out! Hardly a big complaint, but we lost and I'm a huge football fan!
Glad you had fun. Most of the NJ stereotypes are just that and outside of PSU(mostly because they are a sensitive bunch) visiting fans have a great experience at our place.

I love posts like this and I hope we get a reputation for being one of the BEST hosts/venues in the B10..............thank you KS OP.............[thumb2]

Happy to hear you were treated well...an old friend from LA,Cal. named Al Swisher an Air Force lifer retiree who last i heard moved to El Paso and must be deceased was a proud Jayhawk and i never forgot...he was at least 35 yrs older than me but very kind. Because of that I like KU AND hope to see you in the B1G soon and out of your dumpster fire UT dominated politically conference and in with peer schools.

Thanks for coming. Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to visiting Lawrence in 2018.

Reactions: JhawknZona
I would imagine that if I were a Jayhawk fan, the most annoying thing would be to see another sign saying "You're not in Kansas anymore!!!" I can't believe anyone thinks they're being original with that line!

I would imagine that if I were a Jayhawk fan, the most annoying thing would be to see another sign saying "You're not in Kansas anymore!!!" I can't believe anyone thinks they're being original with that line!
I'm beyond being annoyed by that. It's amazing how people think that that is being creative, though.

Glad you had fun. Most of the NJ stereotypes are just that and outside of PSU(mostly because they are a sensitive bunch) visiting fans have a great experience at our place.
I live in Elizabeth and weekends in Long Branch. People here are great when they're not driving. Some of the best people I've met anywhere in the country and I've lived all over.

I love posts like this and I hope we get a reputation for being one of the BEST hosts/venues in the B10..............thank you KS OP.............[thumb2]
If you've never been to Lawrence, you're in for a big surprise. I grew up in Lawrence and its where I plan to retire. One of the best college towns in America.

Happy to hear you were treated well...an old friend from LA,Cal. named Al Swisher an Air Force lifer retiree who last i heard moved to El Paso and must be deceased was a proud Jayhawk and i never forgot...he was at least 35 yrs older than me but very kind. Because of that I like KU AND hope to see you in the B1G soon and out of your dumpster fire UT dominated politically conference and in with peer schools.
That name sounds really really familiar.

We're chomping at the bit, to get out of the Big 12. Most people favor the B1G. Now that Mizzou has gone SEC (probably our last choice of P5) and NU is B1G, we only have one real rival left and K-State is just an annoyance. Once Snyder leaves they'll be back to sucking in no time. We fit in with most of the B1G. Iowa,Indiana, Nebraska, Illinois and Wisconsin are very similar schools. Wisky is maybe a little too full of themselves, but the rest aren't.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Thanks for posting. I will be in Lawrence for the RU game in 2018. Hopefully, both teams will be playing at a higher level by then.
If we're not better BU then, we'll probably be dropping football and petitioning to join the Catholic East, or whatever they call the remains of the Big East now.

Hopefully we'll be in the process of 250mil stadium reno by then. Memorial is a beautiful location, but dump of a stadium.

I agree with your hopes. But allow me to add a condition to them."I want RUTGERS to be known nationally as the most gracious and best hosts that a WINNING TEAM can ever become.":sunglasses:

I tailgate with the brother of a KU player. Early in the game his brother caught a tough pass and he gave a wild cheer. Some RU fans mockingly made a cheer in response. He didn't like it and yelled "can I cheer for my ****ing brother?" At the end of the 1st qtr those RU fans moved and one of them came over to apologize. That just doesn't happen at NFL or most CFB games!

Last edited:

Cheer up.
At least you have basketball!

glad you enjoyed your experience here. By the way, your opinion on Roy Williams ?

glad you enjoyed your experience here. By the way, your opinion on Roy Williams ?
A man who wants to please everyone. Good coach who hasn't really built on the initial success he had.

I'm a football first guy. Ask me about Mike Gottfried. He's the first guy that ruined our football program.

All the Kansas fans were very nice in my section. All just seemed happy to enjoy the day.

All the Kansas fans were very nice in my section. All just seemed happy to enjoy the day.
That's the beauty and curse of Kansas football. We go to the games ot enjoy a beautiful fall afternoon and a view of "The Hill." So nobody really gives a crap. Here's why...

View of the Stadium. Notice open end to the south...
Aerial_View_of_University_of_Kansas_Stadium_08-31-2013.jpg

View from the field back in the old days...
ksrl_ua_71_1975.76_0028.jpg

a more current view from the field...
kHOz7Tj.jpg

5c903c062ed79ad5708bd95c6a40e6a6.jpg

3938437543_96237e9b12_o.jpg

memorial_stadium.jpg

4042866543_6bd379836c_b.jpg

dsc05957.jpg

The track was removed prior to last season. It's a beautiful setting, on a beautiful campus.
Because of graduation and the tradition of walking through the Campanile down the hill, that end of the stadium will remain open even after the proposed $250 renovation of Memorial Stadium.

Graduation:
grad-walk.jpg

Last edited:
We've been there. I remember many times around 2001, 2002 coming to enjoy the game and tailgate. I'd start tailgating then forget there was a game and just keeping gating.

"If you've never been to Lawrence, you're in for a big surprise. I grew up in Lawrence and its where I plan to retire. One of the best college towns in America."

This is very true. I was there for a conference in September 2011. I arrived a day early and walked all around the campus, wearing RU gear of course. When I went by the football stadium, which the OP accurately described as a dump, I ran into a couple of the assistant coaches heading to practice. They saw my RU hoodie and started talking to me, saying they were hoping to join us in the Big East, which at that time, with UT, TT, OU, and OSU looking like they were heading to the Pac 12, seemed like a real possibility (it was discussed on this board quite regularly). But, two days later the news broke that Pitt and SU were heading to the ACC, and all bets were off. Happily, things worked out well for RU but KU is still stuck with TX and a 10 team conference.

One of the highlights of my campus tour was a visit to the KU bball fieldhouse, which is also quite an ancient, no-frills facility but one loaded with character. It reminded of the U. of Penn Palestra on steroids. And right next door or beneath it KU has a very nice museum showing the history of its athletic programs. Obviously, basketball was most prominently featured but IIRC, KU also has a great tradition in track and field.

Glad to hear that OP enjoyed his visit.

Happy you enjoyed yourself. I actually welcomed a Kansas fan to Piscataway and he bitched about how disrespectful it was to have the visiting fans in the upper deck where they were.
Out of curiosity, Is this something the B12 doesn't do, or was he just being an uninformed away fan?

BTW...... I was polite and walked away despite the comebacks going around in my head

Happy you enjoyed yourself. I actually welcomed a Kansas fan to Piscataway and he bitched about how disrespectful it was to have the visiting fans in the upper deck where they were.
Out of curiosity, Is this something the B12 doesn't do, or was he just being an uninformed away fan?

BTW...... I was polite and walked away despite the comebacks going around in my head
Lol. I'm shocked he bitched about that. Everyone in the country slaps the visitors up in the corner. That's why I bought my tickets through RU. I actually thought the seats you guys slotted KU were some of the best I've seen a game from.

To be fair. He probably was a relative if a player and they usually get better seats than that.

If you've never been to Lawrence, you're in for a big surprise. I grew up in Lawrence and its where I plan to retire. One of the best college towns in America.

I spent a weekend at the TKE house there and had a great time. I loved the campus and town. The fact it's stuck with me some 44 years later should tell you something.

I spent a weekend at the TKE house there and had a great time. I loved the campus and town. The fact it's stuck with me some 44 years later should tell you something.
A lot of unshaven hippie chicks running around Lawrence back then.

Hoops LOL, I actually have a guy on my team that is a KU grad and lives on a farm outside of Lawrence. I bet him a beer on Saturday's game (he wouldn't go for higher stakes). He said there was no way they were going to win and added this gem: "at Kansas the best day of the football season is the first day of basketball practice." So sorry, even your own alum think "at least we have basketball." PS glad you had a good time, I enjoyed talking to a few KU fans.

Hoops LOL, I actually have a guy on my team that is a KU grad and lives on a farm outside of Lawrence. I bet him a beer on Saturday's game (he wouldn't go for higher stakes). He said there was no way they were going to win and added this gem: "at Kansas the best day of the football season is the first day of basketball practice." So sorry, even your own alum think "at least we have basketball." PS glad you had a good time, I enjoyed talking to a few KU fans.
So we all have to be the same? Enjoy your shitty season and paltry win against the worst P5 Team.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Is your dog named Toto?
My cat killed toto. I'll bet it sucks living in a neighborhood surrounded by oil refineries and chemical plants, and that your daughter (Snookie) is a tramp.

I can keep playing this game, if you like.

Wow a tad sensitive for someone that started this thread by saying you were going to "flip out" over RU fans hoops comments. I know one person from Kansas and he makes the same comments, I'm just sayin

Wow a tad sensitive for someone that started this thread by saying you were going to "flip out" over RU fans hoops comments. I know one person from Kansas and he makes the same comments, I'm just sayin
I'm having fun Rnj. It's not like the interwebs are new to me. I learned a long time ago not to take it personal. And the "flip out" comment was an exaggeration...you know that.

I know a lot of people from Kansas. Many I'd just as soon forget.

ADVERTISEMENT