ADVERTISEMENT

Great win, but stop with the ref whining...

I can not disagree more. Primarily, I am not even sure if the Jersey was technically untucked. It’s the end of a hard fought game. Might just be the way he wears his jersey. Tuck rules are never good.

More importantly from youth basketball to the NBA, I’ve probably watched literally tens of thousands of basketball games, I have never seen a ref distract such a shooter with the game on the line in the last 6 seconds.

That was one of the poorest exercises of judgement I’ve ever seen. I’m head of B1G officials he’s fined or suspended. Now should we get worked up over it? We won and adds to the legend of Cam but what if shooter wasn’t as good or as confident. Certainly could throw off rhythm.

IMHO inexcusable.
I don't know if you played sports much, but I have my entire life. A ref asking me to tie a shoe or tuck in my jersey or whatever would have absolutely zero impact on me if done at any stoppage point in any game.

Unless I was totally unfocused to start with, I would barely even register it and would do what the ref said on autopilot without any thought. And if I was unfocused to start with, then it either wouldn't make any difference or, if anything, might actually shift me into focus.

I really think you guys are making mountains out of molehills here.

I don't know if you played sports much, but I have my entire life. A ref asking me to tie a shoe or tuck in my jersey or whatever would have absolutely zero impact on me if done at any stoppage point in any game.

Unless I was totally unfocused to start with, I would barely even register it and would do what the ref said on autopilot without any thought. And if I was unfocused to start with, then it either wouldn't make any difference or, if anything, might actually shift me into focus.

I really think you guys are making mountains out of molehills here.

Couldn’t agree more. The “mountain” to overcome was NW in the bonus with 13 minutes remaining in the game after only drawing 2 fouls in the whole first half.

Regardless of whose “fault” it was, surely our locker room plan was to come out aggressive and had to be completely adapted down the stretch.

Couldn’t agree more. The “mountain” to overcome was NW in the bonus with 13 minutes remaining in the game after only drawing 2 fouls in the whole first half.

Regardless of whose “fault” it was, surely our locker room plan was to come out aggressive and had to be completely adapted down the stretch.
I agree. The whole first half, we seemed to be trying to play without fouling. And even when we did foul, the refs were just letting everything go. So I'm watching and thinking, play more physically dammit, the refs aren't calling anything.

I think Pike probably saw the same thing and said the same thing and then, at the half, said hey, if the refs are gonna let us play, let's use that to our advantage.

But then the refs came out with an entirely different approach and called everything and then some. Mostly on us. So now the team's scrambling to adjust. I posted at least 3 times in the game thread about how the team needed to drive more and draw more fouls to limit the amount of time they were in the bonus and we weren't (which is, obviously, a bad place to be towards the end of close games).

Looked like Pike sent that same message to the team and we finally started getting more foul calls. But they had long stretch of getting easy points on free throws with plenty of fouls to give.

Ultimately, there's good stuff to work on for the team. Stuff to learn from that game. Get quicker at sensing and adjusting to how the refs are calling stuff. Keep Paul from losing his composure and tell him to drop the on-court acting. Figure out how to keep getting high percentage shots. Get the players to recognize the hot hand and run sets to free that guy up more often. Stuff like that.

Is all they can do.

Played sports my entire life. Never seen a Ref ice a player with the game on the line. It disrupts timing. National televised game in a one possession game with six seconds left rather than giving the player the ball to shoot let’s make you wait longer and fix your Jersey? Are you kidding me? Many players have ritual and ref suddenly outta nowhere saying you have to fix shirt, which truth be told not really entirely sure had to be fixed, could get one flustered. Did you see the quizzical look on Cam’s face? WTF is this ref doing? Thankfully he was great enough to be, whatever, I’m hitting these free throws. Many other players aren’t that good. Horrible exercise in judgment by the ref. It is not and has never been commonplace. I’ve never seen it in that situation and guessing over a lifetime, tens of thousands of games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
That was a total bush league call - no way to justify it. On replay, I looked down the foul line, every NW player had his f'ing shirt hanging out his pants. Why didn't the ref blow the whistle and have everybody fix their shirts?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
For those folks who say we never get a favorable whistle, tonight was exhibit A that we do once in awhile. 22-15 in fouls and 27-12 in FTs, both in our favor and things were definitely better after Pike's T, which many of us have been wanting him to do at least once this season. I can't even imagine what the OSU board is saying right now about this game being given to us by the refs after the last one was stolen from us - eff them, though.

For those folks who say we never get a favorable whistle, tonight was exhibit A that we do once in awhile. 22-15 in fouls and 27-12 in FTs, both in our favor and things were definitely better after Pike's T, which many of us have been wanting him to do at least once this season. I can't even imagine what the OSU board is saying right now about this game being given to us by the refs after the last one was stolen from us - eff them, though.

Yep

Usually evens out in the end

Reactions: RU848789
Pike’s T was the turning point of the game.
Caleb the reigning B1G defensive player of the year was absolutely clocked and no foul. The entire arena saw it.
We are good. We should get some of the home court advantage. Finally!!!

Reactions: RUChoppin

Very glad Pikiell finally "whined" to the officials, lol

Reactions: RU848789

So you can acknowledge when we get a (slightly) friendly whistle but deny that RU gets screwed from time-to-time

Got it

Reactions: PaKnight
So you can acknowledge when we get a (slightly) friendly whistle but deny that RU gets screwed from time-to-time

Got it
When did I deny us getting screwed on occasion? My first post in the thread called out how we got screwed, IMO, at the Purdue game, yet still won. I just didn't think we got screwed at NW, but did acknowledge the game was called inconsistently.

Got it
Every team gets screwed by refs. Including RU. Not a soul in this forum has ever said RU never gets screwed.

OTOH, even today, we had people claiming RU was being screwed by refs, which was ridiculous. We have fans who claim RU always gets screwed, which is also ridiculous.

Every team gets screwed by refs. Including RU. Not a soul in this forum has ever said RU never gets screwed.

OTOH, even today, we had people claiming RU was being screwed by refs, which was ridiculous. We have fans who claim RU always gets screwed, which is also ridiculous.

There are some on here who NEVER accept the fact that refs affect games from time-to-time. We all know who

Today (particularly for a few minute span after the T) we definitely got a few calls. It was all from that older guy - the RAC got to him and he called a few questionable ones in our favor.

RU has gotten the short end of the officiating stick In The B1G. Don’t think that’s even debatable.

Reactions: socaldave
There are some on here who NEVER accept the fact that refs affect games from time-to-time. We all know who

Today (particularly for a few minute span after the T) we definitely got a few calls. It was all from that older guy - the RAC got to him and he called a few questionable ones in our favor.
I don’t know anybody who says “refs never affect games”. They always affect every game. But the vast amount of games, it’s a team’s own failures that most contribute to a loss. Missed shots, turnovers, low effort, mental mistakes, etc. And those the team controls, unlike officiating.

Big difference in saying the refs had an impact and the refs cost us the game. The former is always true. The latter is rarely true and, while it doesn’t matter what fans think, it would be a very destructive for the team to ever adopt the latter viewpoint.

I don’t know anybody who says “refs never affect games”. They always affect every game. But the vast amount of games, it’s a team’s own failures that most contribute to a loss. Missed shots, turnovers, low effort, mental mistakes, etc. And those the team controls, unlike officiating.

Big difference in saying the refs had an impact and the refs cost us the game. The former is always true. The latter is rarely true and, while it doesn’t matter what fans think, it would be a very destructive for the team to ever adopt the latter viewpoint.

This is an odd time to be having this conversation since today was far from a screw job against RU

But there are few on here who ALWAYS downplay (or utterly deny) that refs can affect games. This is fact. Move on

Reactions: G- RUnit
This is an odd time to be having this conversation since today was far from a screw job against RU

But there are few on here who ALWAYS downplay (or utterly deny) that refs can affect games. This is fact. Move on
Or the it always evens out crowd. No it doesn’t.

Can’t help but wonder if just maybe we are finally getting some justified respect!

But there are few on here who ALWAYS downplay (or utterly deny) that refs can affect games. It is fact. Move on
I think people are rejecting the silliness about there being a conspiracy against RU. Or refusing to whine about officiating because it’s part of the game, good or bad. It’s lame, like complaining about a rainy day.

Bottom line is winners find a way to win. Losers cry unfair and complain about officiating. It’s harsh, but it’s also 100% true.

Life’s unfair. Figure out how to succeed anyway. I taught my kids that at a young age.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think people are rejecting the silliness about there being a conspiracy against RU. Or refusing to whine about officiating because it’s part of the game, good or bad. It’s lame, like complaining about a rainy day.

Bottom line is winners find a way to win. Losers cry unfair and complain about officiating. It’s harsh, but it’s also 100% true.

Life’s unfair. Figure out how to succeed anyway. I taught my kids that at a young age.

You’re not even commenting on what I’m posting about. I’m done

And that’s the school of thought that drives many sophisticated hoops fans crazy. Those are nice cliches but they are a load of crap. Sticking your head in the sand to obvious bias and poor officiating is unseemly.

This isn’t Little League. With parity such a fine line in major college basketball the idea that one team must figure out a way to win anyway to overcome horrendous officiating is neither fair, nor realistic.

We as RU fans have seen some of the more egregious officiating in our lifetime. St. John’s at the Big East tourney. OSU this year.

It’s a legitimate topic conversation topic of conversation and it’s not whining.

Last edited:
Football Fan 49Ers GIF by Sadie

Boston Celtics Basketball GIF by NBC Sports Boston

English Football GIF by Memrise

What needs to be done:

College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
And that’s the school of thought that drives many sophisticated hoops fans crazy. Those are nice cliches but they are a load of crap.

This isn’t Little League. With parity such a fine line in major college basketball the idea that one team must figure out a way to win anyway to overcome horrendous is neither fair, or reality.
Huh? If having to find a way to win despite the officiating isn’t reality in college hoops, then what IS the reality? Cry unfair loudly enough and the refs change it? 🙂

In the first OSU game, the missed call at the end was horribly unfair. Very impactful on the game, right?

Guess what, we still lost. That was our reality. All the cries of unfair, what did that get us? Nothing.

To win, we should’ve hit enough shots so the officiating screwup at the end became irrelevant. Then we’d have been winners, not losers.

This is not a “little league” thing. It’s a life thing. Life ain’t fair and either we figure out how to win anyway, or we lose. That’s reality. For us all. From the day we’re born until we die.

Reactions: jerseybird
Huh? If having to find a way to win despite the officiating isn’t reality in college hoops, then what IS the reality? Cry unfair loudly enough and the refs change it? 🙂

In the first OSU game, the missed call at the end was horribly unfair. Very impactful on the game, right?

Guess what, we still lost. That was our reality. All the cries of unfair, what did that get us? Nothing.

To win, we should’ve hit enough shots so the officiating screwup at the end became irrelevant. Then we’d have been winners, not losers.

This is not a “little league” thing. It’s a life thing. Life ain’t fair and either we figure out how to win anyway, or we lose. That’s reality. For us all. From the day we’re born until we die.

season 10 friends GIF

You could say that about any aspect of the game. It’s fair comment. Its not whining. Margin of error is so tight. It’s a cliche to just stick head in sand and just ignore officiating.

Last edited:
Reactions: mildone
I binge watched the entire Friend’s episode list a couple/few months back. It was a better show than I remembered. Some great entertainment.

The whole cast, instead of whining about earlier career unfairness, found a way to succeed anyway and make boatloads of money with the show. Winning! 😉

I binge watched the entire Friend’s episode list a couple/few months back. It was a better show than I remembered. Some great entertainment.

The whole cast, instead of whining about earlier career unfairness, found a way to succeed anyway and make boatloads of money with the show. Winning! 😉
Success of Friends was because they banned together to successfully negotiate against unfairness as one and not unfairly taken advantage. Winning! How you doin?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT