ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Has "Significant" Demands

According to Politi.

"meeting ended without any decision as officials grapple with what one person familiar with the discussions described as his “significant” demands."

Indoor practice facility speculated.

This was one of the things that I had established as an initial concern - I know you did, as well.

Put simply, the guy is going to walk in here like it's 2001. His way or the highway. But times have changed, circumstances have changed and "Herr Greg" isn't going to play in this landscape. Especially after yesterday's rather scathing nj.com editorial.

According to Politi.

"meeting ended without any decision as officials grapple with what one person familiar with the discussions described as his “significant” demands."

Aren't going to do that anyway?

I hope it is for a bigger Big Ten level budget for staff and recruiting. That is what we need, badly.

The tOSU football program generates $100 million / year in revenue.

We can all everything they have once we are doing that!

People always go to extremes. OMG he must be demanding water slides in the Hale center!

We can all everything they have once we are doing that!

People always go to extremes. OMG he must be demanding water slides in the Hale center!

Your attempt at hyperbole is ironic, considering that we're talking about a guy who, in his first go-round, was deeply involved in everything from the color of the walls to the fonts on recruiting letters to sending back 5000 Spring Game t-shirts because the shade of red was slightly off.

I don't think we know what Greg's demands are, but if meeting them is a surface challenge for Hobbs then it furthers the setup of a scenario that I had previously outlined.

Your attempt at hyperbole is ironic, considering that we're talking about a guy who, in his first go-round, was deeply involved in everything from the color of the walls to the fonts on recruiting letters to sending back 5000 Spring Game t-shirts because the shade of red was slightly off.

I don't think we know what Greg's demands are, but if meeting them is a surface challenge for Hobbs then it furthers the setup of a scenario that I had previously outlined.

I was clearing joking around.

But seriously, I can't trust anything that Politi says. So who knows that they hell he ask for? If it was some big stuff then it is time for the vocal boosters to put up or shut up. If they really want him just tell hobbs they will pay for everything. Write a check and he will sign the contract.

According to Politi.

shocked+shocked.png

We don’t need OSU facilities to compete. Greg should rightfully demand we commit to upgrading to the level of MSU/Iowa. Otherwise what’s the point of a known name even coming here? You’ll get embarrassed.

you forgot the temperature guns in the rooms prior to meetings

I think the response here is that Hobbs looks at Greg Brown and says, This is your guy are you going to give him what he wants."

As many have said I do not think that football or BB hiring with the amount of money it cost is left to any AD. The money guys are in there and if they say yes, then it is a go. I know that at least one of these big-money guys was against GS coming back but, has since changed his mind.

I think at this point if GS does not come it will be because the boosters are unwilling to foot the bill for what he wants.
I know that some of you anti-Hobbs guys are still going to try and spin it that it was his fault but we all know who is making this decision now and it ain't Hobbs.

I've always emphasized coaches who have demonstrated more with less...we're never going to be close to the level of the big schools in our conference and you have to identify coaches who have the chance to do it with less.

IU only recently has started getting better facilities I was reading, same with NW and their 200M complex etc...but they've won to a degree before that ever came to fruition. If GS or any other coach needs crazy facilities...this isn't the place for them and you have to find a guy who can win to a degree without them.

EDIT: Seth Littrell 500:1 unmentioned dark horse making a move around the outside....lol :Wink:

According to Politi.

If the demand is an indoor practice facility, I don't see that as a "significant demand", unless there is an unreasonable demand on the timing. An indoor practice facility is part of the B1G Build plan, and at one of the ceremonies for the basketball practice facility, Hobbs reiterated the need for a field house to replace the bubble.

I would guess there are other demands that fall into the "significant" category, other then asking for something that Rutgers was already planning to do.

IMHO, BC's resurgence has changed things a bit for Greg. I believe that's THE job he is truly eyeing.

Now that BC has a chance to get to 500, Addazio might be safe again. Or he loses all remaining games to ND, Pitt and FSU. It will be interesting to see if Greg waits for that OR he asks for the Rutgers moon and they give it to him.

I find it interesting though that the same people who won't give any credit to Hobbs and Ash for all the facility upgrades are getting a hard-on simply because Saint Greg asked for it.

Maryland has Ohio State Caliber facilities. Why shouldn’t we have the same? PSU is sinking another $70M into facilities that are better than ours. How is he supposed to recruit without an even playing field? How is he supposed to win with recruits that no one else wants? We’re either all in or out.

Reactions: patk89
How one defines "Significant" is in the eyes of the beholder. Needing a commitment to an investment to be like the rest of the competition sounds reasonable to me unless you're not serious about competing. And if that's the case, why play?

Reactions: Rutgers83
Greg and Agent know they have RU over a barrel. They're going to shoot for the moon.

The real question is if they're willing to accept anything other than giving him whatever he wants or is it 100% or I walk?
The most powerful tool in any negotiation is the party with the better Next Best Alternative. Rutgers has one in Butch Jones. What's Greg's Next Best Alternative?

iStock-175413535.jpg

Reactions: rsutton86 and RU84
If the demand is an indoor practice facility, I don't see that as a "significant demand", unless there is an unreasonable demand on the timing. An indoor practice facility is part of the B1G Build plan, and at one of the ceremonies for the basketball practice facility, Hobbs reiterated the need for a field house to replace the bubble.

I would guess there are other demands that fall into the "significant" category, other then asking for something that Rutgers was already planning to do.
Agreed.

How one defines "Significant" is in the eyes of the beholder. Needing a commitment to an investment to be like the rest of the competition sounds reasonable to me unless you're not serious about competing. And if that's the case, why play?

One can infer from the reporting that the demands were Significant Enough that Greg Brown, one of our largest benefactors and biggest Schiano supporter, walked away without a handshake.

In the article it is not just a permanent practice facility to replace the bubble, but a new facility that would also replace the Hale Center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT