ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Has "Significant" Demands

Rutgers needs to do what it takes in order to make RU FB a winner.
Seems like if Greg wants that, he's asking for too much

The cautious folks will always try and mark the distinction between what Greg wants in order to make Rutgers a winner and what Greg wants to assuage his ego.

That is a simple reality with Greg Schiano. It doesn't make him unsuitable to the task, per se. It's just additional information that needs to be parsed.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Rutgers needs to do what it takes in order to make RU FB a winner.
Seems like if Greg wants that, he's asking for too much

The cautious folks will always try and mark the distinction between what Greg wants in order to make Rutgers a winner and what Greg wants to assuage his ego.

That is a simple reality with Greg Schiano. It doesn't make him unsuitable to the task, per se. It's just additional information that needs to be parsed.

Give him what he needs and get the deal done.

now we know you haven't a clue.
I'd be willing to wager a full year salary that with the same teams on opposite sides of the ball, Graber would smoke GS. I'd also wager that Graber was a better recruiter and if had anything like what was given to Greg in terms of support, Graber would be our Paterno minus the affinity to let peds run amuck

This is clueless.
I’ll bet you two years salary. Graber couldn’t hold Schiano’s jockstrap.

Graber isn’t even Frank Burns.

Graber sucked and ran a very loose ship, which is why kids cut class and flunked out of school. I lived in Morrow Suite on Busch and got to see firsthand what the football players work habits were. In a few words not good. They weren’t as motivated and didn’t work as hard for success.

that’s why too many Graber kids wasted their talent, whereas Schiano’s kids made the most of their talent.

They lacked the discipline of the Schiano players, which is why Schiano sent a significant amount of talent to the NFL and why Belichek loves Schiano players. Schiano always kept his foot right close to their ass , which is why they made the most of their time on the banks. Schiano’s players were top 5 in APR, whereas grabers players were lucky if the could stay in school. And all the extra resources Schiano got, he fought for, whereas Graber didn’t know what to ask for.

Graber got the stadium built, so credit him for that, but his overall management of the football program was awful. That’s why he is no longer coaching.

Graber isn’t even in the same universe as Schiano.

on the borderline silly, we now have two statues within fifty yards. As an aside, I would have put Knight statue smack in the center of the circle near all the fields, Werblin, soccer and football, or even in front of the RAC.

I like your idea of the circle, but when the Rodkin center is built the horse statue will be in line with what looks like another statute in front of the Rodkin center which I like as well. You can just make it out in this rendering.
academic-success-center-1.jpg

Rutgers has facilities that are sufficient to compete. Compared to when Schiano was first here and we didn't have adequate S&C facilities (or basketball last year when the team had to practice on the floor of the arena because there was no practice court).

Some of the facilities we have are as shiny and glittery as any in the league. And some of the facilities we have are not as shiny or glittery .... but they are still more than sufficient to compete.

they’re good enough to compete. They’re not good enough to win, which is what we’re here for. Others, what’s the point?

I wonder why every HC that left RU never ran another college or pro team after leaving.
Nor agreed to take a college HC position again.
So when justifying comparisons to Schiano, maybe addressing why Greg was the only one to leave for a HC position and be almost hired for another needs to be in the mix when making claims on who could have made RU a winner.
Seems like the only one that did is being compared to exRU HCs that didn't draw interest after leaving RU and their failing to get another HC position needs to be addressed.
Graber was a HC in the NFL's minor league NFL Europe for 3 years, but never again at a college program.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUJohnny
Again, ASU uses their bubble more than we ever will. Would imagine the rain sends FSU inside often as well but I’m not a big Florida rainfall guy. Texas also uses theirs more than we do.
Let me make sure I understand your point, since I don't want to mischaracterize what you're saying. Since several out of conference programs that we never recruit against that hardly ever see frost don't have an indoor facility means we should tell Schiano "No thank you" because he wants to be on a level playing field with Illinois, Maryland and so forth?

Let me make sure I understand your point, since I don't want to mischaracterize what you're saying. Since several out of conference programs that we never recruit against that hardly ever see frost don't have an indoor facility means we should tell Schiano "No thank you" because he wants to be on a level playing field with Illinois, Maryland and so forth?
No, what I’m saying is the idea If you don’t have an indoor facility you can’t compete is dumb.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
No, what I’m saying is the idea If you don’t have an indoor facility you can’t compete is dumb.
impressing the recruits is the name of the game when bringing in HS talent and having less to show than your competition for HS talent puts a program in catch up .
Rutgers probably doesn't need an indoor facility, but if a recruit is impressed by the competition's facility , he might think Rutgers doesn't do as much for the football program as the other programs he has visited.

Reactions: rutgersal
This is clueless.

Graber sucked and ran a very loose ship, which is why kids cut class and flunked out of school. I lived in Morrow Suite on Busch and got to see firsthand what the football players work habits were. In a few words not good. They weren’t as motivated and didn’t work as hard for success.

that’s why too many Graber kids wasted their talent, whereas Schiano’s kids made the most of their talent.

They lacked the discipline of the Schiano players, which is why Schiano sent a significant amount of talent to the NFL and why Belichek loves Schiano players. Schiano always kept his foot right close to their ass , which is why they made the most of their time on the banks. Schiano’s players were top 5 in APR, whereas grabers players were lucky if the could stay in school. And all the extra resources Schiano got, he fought for, whereas Graber didn’t know what to ask for.

Graber got the stadium built, so credit him for that, but his overall management of the football program was awful. That’s why he is no longer coaching.

Graber had a quarter of the support Schiano had. A lot easier to keep kids on track when they are being monitored.

Graber had a quarter of the support Schiano had. A lot easier to keep kids on track when they are being monitored.

Schiano negotiated for that support and had assistants like Cristobal monitoring kids. Graber didn’t have a clue.

Because Greg has so many other HC offers?

Come on.. he needs us as much as we need him.

Let’s not forget that

Just don't understand this "its a negotiation" mentality. Schiano wants to win as much or more than Hobbs. If there's something that he believes will make winning easier, assuming we can find the money, why even think about it? Just do it already. Sheesh! Its this "we can't spend too much" mentality that got us Ash in the first place.

Reactions: Knightmoves
impressing the recruits is the name of the game when bringing in HS talent and having less to show than your competition for HS talent puts a program in catch up .
Rutgers probably doesn't need an indoor facility, but if a recruit is impressed by the competition's facility , he might think Rutgers doesn't do as much for the football program as the other programs he has visited.
I would bet I have as much Interaction with HS recruits as anyone on this board. Not one kid has ever complained to me about Rutgers facilities much less the bubble specifically

I would bet I have as much Interaction with HS recruits as anyone on this board. Not one kid has ever complained to me about Rutgers facilities much less the bubble specifically

It is really for the 4 and 5 star guys who are wine and dine elsewhere during visits. They are not going to want to come here if they can live in the lap of luxury elsewhere.

The rest of the players don't care as much, they just want to play.

I would bet I pay the least amount of attention to high school football as anyone on this board lol and say what I've always said.....there's a limit to the number of scholarships any school big or small can give and there's even more limited number of playing time/starting positions available and players want to play and leave these big status schools all the time to other places including lower status schools....same goes for recruits evaluating where they should sign and what kind of time they may get. As long as the overall facilities aren't so woeful, IMO we can still get contributors via transfers and recruits.

Reactions: ruready07 and vkj91
It is really for the 4 and 5 star guys who are wine and dine elsewhere during visits. They are not going to want to come here if they can live in the lap of luxury elsewhere.

The rest of the players don't care as much, they just want to play.
The top
Top 4 and 5 star guys aren’t coming here regardless of indoor facilities. There is so much more That goes into it.

The top
Top 4 and 5 star guys aren’t coming here regardless of indoor facilities. There is so much more That goes into it.

I know that, but that is why they do it.

They could transfer here once the well drys up elsewhere, at least.

You know that if Schiano fails miserably here in his 2nd attempt that it's unlikely he'll ever get another significant coaching job. He knows it too, so he's going to make every effort, make every 'demand' to put himself in a position to succeed. His career and legacy are on the line too, so as much as he's a detail guy he's going to leave no stone unturned here.

You know that if Schiano fails miserably here in his 2nd attempt that it's unlikely he'll ever get another significant coaching job. He knows it too, so he's going to make every effort, make every 'demand' to put himself in a position to succeed. His career and legacy are on the line too, so as much as he's a detail guy he's going to leave no stone unturned here.

Plus, if he is successful here a 2nd time? He is set for life. We could give him a lifetime contract and nothing would bat an eye. That is not happening anywhere else.

I don't think anyone posting ( pro ore con) about Greg coming back wouldn't try to negotiate the best possible terms when interviewing for a position that failing at that job would sink your professional career .
Schiano is just doing that.

If you believe Ash;s replacement shouldn't fight for what he feels the RU FB program needs before being hired, understand why Schiano demanding what he feels needed would bother you.

But I feel anyone Rutgers hires that accepted the position without demanding what he feels needed to make RU FB a loser , probably will go out a loser in 3-4 years.
Especially if that HC asked for what he felt needed and was told no.

This is clueless.

lol...you crack me up. If Greg was half the coach Graber was, he'd of won the BE not once but at least 3 times. It's not like Doug ever forgot who he had inside the 2 and ran a 140lb back 3x up the middle to settle for a FG. Nah, Greg couldn't sniff Doug's coaching or recruiting ability. Doug would have owned NJ with all the support Greg had but hey, room temp, types of pants, backpacks, food, etc etc were more important to Greg

I wonder why every HC that left RU never ran another college or pro team after leaving.
Nor agreed to take a college HC position again.
So when justifying comparisons to Schiano, maybe addressing why Greg was the only one to leave for a HC position and be almost hired for another needs to be in the mix when making claims on who could have made RU a winner.
Seems like the only one that did is being compared to exRU HCs that didn't draw interest after leaving RU and their failing to get another HC position needs to be addressed.
Graber was a HC in the NFL's minor league NFL Europe for 3 years, but never again at a college program.
If I recall correctly, Graber did that not because he really wanted to but for other reasons. He wanted to retire after RU and a year before he left but was committed to guys he brought in. It was also a much different landscape back then with much longer leashes and less mobility. One thing is for certain, Graber loved RU and still does. He wants only the best for RU.

Greg has a lot of pros here but he's got a lot of cons as well. By all accounts, the issues with his personality and style of coaching has not been remedied and that is a huge red flag

lol...you crack me up. If Greg was half the coach Graber was, he'd of won the BE not once but at least 3 times. It's not like Doug ever forgot who he had inside the 2 and ran a 140lb back 3x up the middle to settle for a FG. Nah, Greg couldn't sniff Doug's coaching or recruiting ability. Doug would have owned NJ with all the support Greg had but hey, room temp, types of pants, backpacks, food, etc etc were more important to Greg

If Graber was so great, why wasn’t he offered an opportunity to head coach again? Why wasn’t he offered by Miami, Michigan, and the Tampa Bay Bucs? Greg negotiated for all the support he got.
Why did Graber leave Terry Shea an empty cupboard if he was such a great recruiter? Graber left Terry Shea in a talent hole that he could never dig out from. It took Schiano five years to dig out from the mess that Graber initiated, and Shea couldn’t fix.

Finally, why did people make signs, “Hey oug, where’s the D”

the notion that Graber could ever win the BE, is 8 jokes in 1. He never had a team comparable to the 2006 or 2012 teams.

We mostly got smoked by penn state and Syracuse though we did have 1 competitive game against Syracuse. I recall somewhat decent frontline talent, but no depth.

A D1 high school recruit told me our facilities look exactly like Temple. Do you want to be on par with Temple or with Iowa?

Wait, what? You really believe that? How could you possibly have those thoughts?

Reactions: rutgersal
A D1 high school recruit told me our facilities look exactly like Temple. Do you want to be on par with Temple or with Iowa?
Exactly. We are competing with Maryland, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern and so forth, not Shirley, Yukon and the fruit anymore. We are in the best athletic conference in the country. Time we started to treat all our programs like Big Ten teams, instead of like we're still in the Big Least. Can't be in a champagne conference with a beer budget.

ADVERTISEMENT