ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Has "Significant" Demands

Yes. I did. Probably I forgot a lot of things.

This is an expected but unfortunate development, as I don't really feel comfortable with Butch Jones as an option.

Butch Jones should be a huge upgrade from Ash and Flood. Can he take us to the promise land? I have no idea. But if the boosters and money men refuse to meet Schiano's demands, then Butch Jones is one hell of a fallback plan, IMHO. On paper anyway.

One can infer from the reporting that the demands were Significant Enough that Greg Brown, one of our largest benefactors and biggest Schiano supporter, walked away without a handshake.

What does it say that one can come to this conclusion? Am I missing something? Thx

Reactions: hiwater
Honestly, just hire Butch Jones...F this ransom crap.
---
I hope that Greg has not gone too far, no one knows..... my best guess is that he came in and asked for more than the donors were immediately willing to accept....

that does not mean it would be a dead issue...

the one thing is clear...if we get Greg we get better facilities in the end....we should all want that..

let it play out....there has to be some give and take, and this was, hopefully, just round one of some give and take.

In the article it is not just a permanent practice facility to replace the bubble, but a new facility that would also replace the Hale Center.

I don't see how Rutgers can ever agree to that. Even if they wanted to agree, where the hell would the money come from?

Maybe if Greg would agree that they can try to take on a long term fund raising campaign but I'm going to guess he wants an immediate etched in stone commitment.

Maryland has Ohio State Caliber facilities. Why shouldn’t we have the same? PSU is sinking another $70M into facilities that are better than ours. How is he supposed to recruit without an even playing field? How is he supposed to win with recruits that no one else wants? We’re either all in or out.

Planning, budgeting, assembling donations and groundbreaking to build a practice facility in an attempt to keep up with the competition is one thing. Agreeing and committing to this based on the demands and as a requirement of hiring GS is another story considering that the $70 million likely needed to move forward.

I posted FSU doesn't have a stand alone facility either and was seen a sore point for them but they've been getting along okay until recently and Fisher won a title. Sure it's great to have all these things but gotta be realistic in what's possible in a given time frame.

I don't see how Rutgers can ever agree to that. Even if they wanted to agree, where the hell would the money come from?

Maybe if Greg would agree that they can try to take on a long term fund raising campaign but I'm going to guess he wants an immediate etched in stone commitment.

Donors have put in a TON of money, millions into Hale Center Upgrades, with the brand new weight room and freshly minted locker rooms, I can't see us tearing that down after all of that.

This was one of the things that I had established as an initial concern - I know you did, as well.

Put simply, the guy is going to walk in here like it's 2001. His way or the highway. But times have changed, circumstances have changed and "Herr Greg" isn't going to play in this landscape. Especially after yesterday's rather scathing nj.com editorial.
ANY new HC would be out of his mind if he didn't let it be known that he wants thus and such.I would not have any respect for an HC that came in as Mr. Meek,thank you very much for the job.

Too many guys on this board want to build a house without a hammer! These other schools have winning programs because of everything that goes with being a good B1G program. If you want to win than you have to build everything that goes with it period! If not lets hire BJ and see if we can recruit kids to a half way built program.

These requests shouldn't surprise anyone, as he made requests when he took the job in 2001 and most should've expected similar requests here. And I'm sure we already knew these before the meeting but they're leaking now for negotiating leverage.

and this is why you should want Hobbs to stick around--if he's gone not much $ will be raised for a while--we know how cheap our "fans " are even the ones demanding high salaries and big facilities--remember the "rurgers 1000"

and this is why you should want Hobbs to stick around--if he's gone not much $ will be raised for a while--we know how cheap our "fans " are even the ones demanding high salaries and big facilities--remember the "rurgers 1000"

yawn.

Hobbs ran the program into the ground and lost at least 10 million dollars + with Ash.

You built Ash a practice field, an academic center and on the borderline silly, we now have two statues within fifty yards. As an aside, I would have put Knight statue smack in the center of the circle near all the fields, Werblin, soccer and football, or even in front of the RAC.

Schiano isn't being unreasonable. Give him what he needs.

If you want to go to the Rose Bowl....

Last edited:
Too many guys on this board want to build a house without a hammer! These other schools have winning programs because of everything that goes with being a good B1G program. If you want to win than you have to build everything that goes with it period! If not lets hire BJ and see if we can recruit kids to a half way built program.

That's fine but Rutgers hasn't had the luxury of printing money for decades like the OSU, UM, and PSU's of the world.

Maryland has Ohio State Caliber facilities. Why shouldn’t we have the same? PSU is sinking another $70M into facilities that are better than ours. How is he supposed to recruit without an even playing field? How is he supposed to win with recruits that no one else wants? We’re either all in or out.
no they don't. have you ever seen their facilities. Like actually see them, not pictures, because I have. People go ga ga over their converted basketball indoor facility. It ain't that great

We have discussed the bubble multiple times over the years. back in the 90s we were one of the few with indoor facilities. Since then every major program has added them and most have gone to the fixed structure facilities similar to the Quest facility on rt 3 next to Met life the Giants use. This is not a bad ask because he knows any kids coming in for a visit may also visit other schools with better facilities. We are selling kids on a facility that is 25 years old is tough

Here is the BC facility
https://bceagles.com/facilities/?id=24

UVA indoor facility
https://virginiasports.com/facilities/?id=21

Pitt indoor facility
https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/2017/6/17/facilities-pitt-facilities-cost-center-html.aspx

old thread on this topic
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/indoor-practice-facility.115114/

ANY new HC would be out of his mind if he didn't let it be known that he wants thus and such.I would not have any respect for an HC that came in as Mr. Meek,thank you very much for the job.
I actually have somewhat the reverse opinion. I've mentioned Willie Fritz hire by Tulane here and how he was HC at small colleges where at one he even had to drive the bus. The new AD at Tulane had his eye on him earlier in his career at SHSU and when he got the job at Tulane he kept going back to Fritz in his mind. And one of the things he liked was that he knew there were limitations as to what Tulane could offer facility wise etc...but he knew coming from his background it likely wouldn't be a problem for Fritz and would find ways to make it work and be grateful for what he had and that's exactly what happened. No complaints but tried to get it done with what he had.

Will Hall his OC has mentioned similar, same from Matt Campbell, JasonCandle and their Mount Union bunch. They come from places that don't have a lot and don't complain about what they don't have but do what they can to make it work with what they do have. I posted Mike Leach tenet here....take as much as you can with what you got.

To me a school like us should focus on guys who live this theme and mantra. It doesn't mean we don't want more and wouldn't want better facilities and the rest but the focus has to be someone who has a chance to do more with less and is willing to as well. We're never going to be the big boys that's just the facts.

I posted FSU doesn't have a stand alone facility either and was seen a sore point for them but they've been getting along okay until recently and Fisher won a title. Sure it's great to have all these things but gotta be realistic in what's possible in a given time frame.
Neither does Texas or ASU

This was one of the things that I had established as an initial concern - I know you did, as well.

Put simply, the guy is going to walk in here like it's 2001. His way or the highway. But times have changed, circumstances have changed and "Herr Greg" isn't going to play in this landscape. Especially after yesterday's rather scathing nj.com editorial.
This was always the concern. You can argue that strong arming BM was the right move at that time, though I always get back to BM’s lack of fundraising ability.

But those days are over. We are in the B1G now, and selling out everything for just football is a non starter.

We need a football coach now. Not some pseudo visionary. We will get to the indoor practice facility when we get to it. There are other more pressing issues. If that is GS’s demand or he doesn’t take the position, bring on the flat top.

---
I hope that Greg has not gone too far, no one knows..... my best guess is that he came in and asked for more than the donors were immediately willing to accept....

that does not mean it would be a dead issue...

the one thing is clear...if we get Greg we get better facilities in the end....we should all want that..

let it play out....there has to be some give and take, and this was, hopefully, just round one of some give and take.
We’ve gotten better facilities without Greg than we ever did with Greg.

What other Big Ten schools don’t have one? What other Power Five schools don’t have one ?

by the way-I don't take the handshake thing to mean brown was pissed at schiano but rather that no deal was made at the time

This was always the concern. You can argue that strong arming BM was the right move at that time, though I always get back to BM’s lack of fundraising ability.

But those days are over. We are in the B1G now, and selling out everything for just football is a non starter.

We need a football coach now. Not some pseudo visionary. We will get to the indoor practice facility when we get to it. There are other more pressing issues. If that is GS’s demand or he doesn’t take the position, bring on the flat top.

Strong agreement with this post. As I said, I'm not 100% comfortable with Butch, but I am (and I have been saying this for weeks, amidst the vigorous pummeling delivered by the strong Schiano supporters) absolute not in favor of a scenario where Schiano comes in with the expectation that he is essentially driving the athletics bus.

I don't think an indoor practice facility is the hold up as this was already on the drawing board(unless GS wanted shovels in the ground right away). There has to be something else that Greg Brown is concerned with and you have to wonder if it is a deal breaker.

Tell GS we’re cool with the facility plan. But we’re knocking 2M/year off of your salary - and moving that to rose bowlesque incentives - to help pay for it. He should contribute.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT