ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Has "Significant" Demands

Strong agreement with this post. As I said, I'm not 100% comfortable with Butch, but I am (and I have been saying this for weeks, amidst the vigorous pummeling delivered by the strong Schiano supporters) absolute not in favor of a scenario where Schiano comes in with the expectation that he is essentially driving the athletics bus.

The problem is that we don't have anyone else in our AD that knows how to run a football program.

We'd instead be gambling that Butch- and personally I think more likely- some MAC flavor of the week- doesn't turn into Flood/Ash Part 3. And dig the hole even deeper.

At least Schiano will put the train back on the tracks. I don't trust Hobbs to do that with someone else who grew up in corn country.

ANY new HC would be out of his mind if he didn't let it be known that he wants thus and such.I would not have any respect for an HC that came in as Mr. Meek,thank you very much for the job.
Bingo. Thats the sort of thinking this program needs. if you expect a guy come in talk about restocking the snack bar, Hobbs shouldnt have fired Ash.

whats to say Butch or other top tier candidates won't have similar demands, especially knowing that Greg has asked for them.

Greg may ask for a $125 mil facility connected to the Hale center while Butch may ask for a football only smaller scoped facility that is $75 mil, replacing the bubble

Any coach that rutgers tries to get now that knows the big ten landscape is going to ask for some facilities demands and thats a given , however these coaches have to produce like urban Myer for sure . We not talking 7-5 records or lousy recruiting for 5yrs , they better recruit them 4 or 5 star Athletes like there life depends on it and we don’t care where they come from ...... Jersey or not and it explains why Urban Myer health issues kept coming up because you make demands you better produce and deliver something.

Is anyone denying that we need a field house? The bubble needs to go so I’m not sure why so many are freaking out. Let’s be honest, if Urban wanted the job and demanded the field house everyone would say give him what he wants/needs.

I don't think an indoor practice facility is the hold up as this was already on the drawing board(unless GS wanted shovels in the ground right away). There has to be something else that Greg Brown is concerned with and you have to wonder if it is a deal breaker.
they cant agree to a 9 figure project on the spot. its also bargaining. you say "greg, we think youre the guy, and we hear you that that is what it takes. now let us go back and talk to our guys about how we can get this done". come back and "commit" to it as part of his renewal pending results and buying time. the old we cant give you more money but heres a perfomance based stip incentive

greg wants that indoor facility where the bubble sits
that plan is so ten years ago when we were looking at moving the entire football facility over there and allow lacrosse and soccer to take over the Hale Center any plan that takes down or removes one of the two indoor facilities, we need an additional NEW indoor facility just for football while giving the bubble to Lacrosse, track and soccer

Hobbs must go!

I think Hobbs is very eager to build all facilities every time, the bigger, the be$$er. But, they have to be built by his gang. I think its his sole purpose. This is about getting contracts for the gang who brung him.

He had the best facilities AND players money could buy last season at OSU. Worst defense in the history of the program. Guy is a complete joke. RU should move in an entirely different direction bc all your going to get is more losses and lots of excuses.

He had the best facilities AND players money could buy last season at OSU. Worst defense in the history of the program. Guy is a complete joke. RU should move in an entirely different direction bc all your going to get is more losses and lots of excuses.
Yep.

Odd that someone would feed this to Politi - what's the point of that? The men who can make it happen were in the meeting.

Who would feed this to the press?

• A pro-Schiano person would leak it knowing the significant percentage of the fanbase wants him. "Do you want us to re-hire Greg? Dig deep into your pockets because we can't hire him without your help".
  • An anti-Schiano person would leak this to communicate "We can't afford him. Let's move on".
I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

I don't see how Rutgers can ever agree to that. Even if they wanted to agree, where the hell would the money come from?

Maybe if Greg would agree that they can try to take on a long term fund raising campaign but I'm going to guess he wants an immediate etched in stone commitment.
This is where Hobbs and the big boosters come in. Remember that the Rodkins have given the single largest donation to athletics at $ 15 million dollars. I would imagine that if Greg Brown is involved he is bringing these demands back to these mega boosters and saying, " we have to spend money to make money and bringing GS in will immediately increase revenue but he needs this to really compete. I fully in the camp that this decision will be made by Greg Brown and the Boosters.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If you recall my thread about me finally accepting the fact that we MAY need to bring him back here I am not exactly a Greg “cultist”
Didn't word it the way I intended lol. Never meant to say you in particular were a cultist, on the contrary, you've been more level headed on the subject. Edited my original post.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Head coaching candidates at public universities with "capital expansion demands."

This is a world gone mad.

I wanted him yesterday, and now I hope he ends up at Florida State.

Reactions: biker7766
sleep all you want ,you know nothing about what goes on in RU fund raising needs cause you only contribute with the sewerage that flows from your mouth
This a negotiation by Greg. He is interested. He has no other head coach options.
They likely reach an agreement. Greg clearly interested.

@Knight Shift

I'm reminded of that Quint line from Jaws: "But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter."

If the man wants a field house, get 'er done. Need one anyway

Reactions: redking
Who would feed this to the press?

• A pro-Schiano person would leak it knowing the significant percentage of the fanbase wants him. "Do you want us to re-hire Greg? Dig deep into your pockets because we can't hire him without your help".
  • An anti-Schiano person would leak this to communicate "We can't afford him. Let's move on".
I'm sure there are other reasons as well.
I could see it as a way for both sides to save face really. GS...they didn't give me what I wanted so I didn't take it...RU...he's asking for too much we move on to the next candidate. I don't think it makes either side look bad or good...it's just kind of neutral.

This was one of the things that I had established as an initial concern - I know you did, as well.

Put simply, the guy is going to walk in here like it's 2001. His way or the highway. But times have changed, circumstances have changed and "Herr Greg" isn't going to play in this landscape. Especially after yesterday's rather scathing nj.com editorial.
Give him everything he wants. Seriously, everything. Time to get serious with making this a legit football program.

Head coaching candidates at public universities with "capital expansion demands."

This is a world gone mad.

I wanted him yesterday, and now I hope he ends up at Florida State.

He had these same demands 20 years ago and they were met. I do think RU needs to draw a line in the sand though and as much as I love GS. If he's being ridiculous, we move on.

don't be surprised if the facilities are in the contract but have a date next to them.

Something like if RU has not broken ground by Sep 1 2023 the buyout for greg is reduced to 25% of the bigger number in the contract. So if greg could buy his way out for $1m he would only have to pay 250k to leave.

This way both parties get what they want. He gets his facilities in the contract and RU gets time to see how things go and to get more B10 money coming in.

uour the guy with egg on your face today. No need to take it out on us.
Sorry, sir. No egg on my face. I reported what I was told, and said that such information is always at risk of being wrong, like the Kyle Flood firing after the 2013 USF game.
You are angry because your man did not give you what you want, and you want to take it out on somebody.

ADVERTISEMENT