ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Has "Significant" Demands

It doesn't matter. He doesn't need to work anymore...

It is a supply and demand issue. He knows his value to the fanbase. He should be prepared to walk away if he doesn't get what he wants.

The same think applies to any of us.

If you were financially secure enough to not need to work, you would pick and choose who you worked for and how you worked, on your terms...

It is an enviable position to be in to have "F*ck you money".

My guess is he wouldn't be trying to work because of the money. That's the benefit. He wants to be a head coach again, or he'd be in Boston.

No one else is offering him the role he wants. Money or no money. He can't pick and choose who he works for. No one else is offering what Rutgers is.

The longer he sits out, the further he gets from it. Another cycle of coaches without a head role and he ain't ever getting one. Not at this level.

This is Rutgers shit or get off the pot moment. A chance to go all in and do what it takes to conpete in big 10 athletics . If they decline and then hire lesser, make no mistake this school will continue to do the bare minimum while misleading a fanbase that gets duped into believing.

Critical moment here
The two reasons this doesn't get done are 1. Rutgers being cheap/small time (history on that side) or 2. Greg being a complete ass(history on that side).

Reactions: soundcrib
I think the response here is that Hobbs looks at Greg Brown and says, This is your guy are you going to give him what he wants."

As many have said I do not think that football or BB hiring with the amount of money it cost is left to any AD. The money guys are in there and if they say yes, then it is a go. I know that at least one of these big-money guys was against GS coming back but, has since changed his mind.

I think at this point if GS does not come it will be because the boosters are unwilling to foot the bill for what he wants.
I know that some of you anti-Hobbs guys are still going to try and spin it that it was his fault but we all know who is making this decision now and it ain't Hobbs.

This is all fine but then Hobbs needs to shut up about wanting to go the Rose Bowl. He should know the level of commitment necessary to achieve such a thing. Don't say it if you really don't mean it.

If the idea is come in, pay him $4MM, agree to $100MM in facility upgrades, then he doesn't know what it takes to win. At Rutgers.
If those are his demands, he does know what it takes. RU will cheap out and hired Ash 2.0.

It doesn't matter. He doesn't need to work anymore...

It is a supply and demand issue. He knows his value to the fanbase. He should be prepared to walk away if he doesn't get what he wants.

The same think applies to any of us.

If you were financially secure enough to not need to work, you would pick and choose who you worked for and how you worked, on your terms...

It is an enviable position to be in to have "F*ck you money".

He may not need to work financially, but he wants to be HC again. Why go get "hired" by Tennessee otherwise? Why have your agent put your name up for every coaching vacancy when you had no real shot at getting hired by them?

While Schiano may want facilities, Rutgers should want a coach with a guaranteed ability to run an offense and defense that works in 2019. Schiano has not demonstrated that. I'm fine with bringing him back, but his demands are having his cake and eating it too -- ignore his shortcomings (no job or prospects, making a leap of faith to believe he can win in 2020 and beyond) while demanding complete guarantees from the other side.

Not to mention, even if this stuff is promised, he still has to win before it will be finished. If he wants a guarantee, and if Rutgers considers giving it to him, then it would only be equitable for him to provide his own guarantee in the form of, if no bowl by end of year 4, Rutgers can terminate him with no further payments.

Reactions: Caliknight
If those are his demands, he does know what it takes. RU will cheap out and hired Ash 2.0.

If committing right now to a new $100MM facility is what it takes to win, we ain't winning.

Our facilities aren't Oregon's, but they are getting way blown out of proportion. We have facilities that compare to other schools that are doing much better.

Odd that someone would feed this to Politi - what's the point of that? The men who can make it happen were in the meeting.

If I were an school administrator who didn't want to hire Schiano, I might consider leaking this to the press as in, "Look at how unreasonably expensive it will be to hire this control freak. Wouldn't it be very prudent to explore other options?"-style attempt to halt a train running downhill.

Definitely a critical moment for a lot of fans I’m sure. If they hire Schiano I’ll go back to buying tickets. Butch Jones or some lesser guy.. pass

Whether it is Schiano, Jones or some other guy, it will all come down to how they execute in the longer term. While you may buy tix immediately if Schiano comes back, most are more likely to buy and retain tickets if RU consistently wins with whoever is the coach. There are no guarantees either way.

This is all fine but then Hobbs needs to shut up about wanting to go the Rose Bowl. He should know the level of commitment necessary to achieve such a thing. Don't say it if you really don't mean it.

Stanford played in the Rose Bowl not long ago. Our facilities are better than theirs right now.

If committing right now to a new $100MM facility is what it takes to win, we ain't winning.

Our facilities aren't Oregon's, but they are getting way blown out of proportion. We have facilities that compare to other schools that are doing much better.
But we got Ashed. It’s going to take 100mm to get out of this hole. I would agree with your statement when we were looking to replace Flood.

But we got Ashed. It’s going to take 100mm to get out of this hole. I would agree with your statement when we were looking to replace Flood.

Any good coach and staff can get the program to mediocrity or beyond, right now, with not one more facility investment made. They aren't that bad. In fact, our practice facility, where they spend most of their time, is very nice.

Did Kansas, UNC, Louisville, and Kansas State all get facilities built this past off-season? I simply can't fathom how they all are so much better this year only with better coaching when they don't have Ohio State level facilities built now that were not there last year.

Reactions: MURF87

Again, this.

To hear some talk about it, you'd think that the football team was getting changed in their cars and practicing in the same gravel parking lot where the cars are parked.

To summarize:

Brand new outdoor practice facility that is absolutely top-notch.

Brand new locker room overhaul that maybe doesn't have a water slide, but is still pretty fly (do the kids still say that?).

Brand new (under construction) academic support facility for athletics.

Yeah, the Bubble is a little dinged up. It's also due to be replaced, per the master plan. Meantime, it's still in the mix.

Absent any real specifics about this conversation, I'd have to ask of Greg, "What the f*ck is your problem?" Because as @Caliknight said, there are absolutely programs out there doing more with less.

Any good coach and staff can get the program to mediocrity or beyond, right now, with not one more facility investment made. They aren't that bad. In fact, our practice facility, where they spend most of their time, is very nice.
Yes, we can be Indiana or Maryland. But I thought the goal was higher.

We don't need all that but we do need to take football seriously.

Does Hobbs really want to go to the Rose Bowl or not?
You have to wonder if G.S. has the best interest in the school in his mind. There is only so much money the school can give.

Oh please then everyone will shit on him for NOT saying as much.

If any of you have switched jobs, you would know that your max negotiating power is right before you sign the contract.
It is best to aim high on the initial negotiation before accepting the job. It's much harder to negotiate once on the job.

I'm fine with Schiano aiming high. He should. As should we all.

Getting the board to "own" whatever commitment is made important given that we'll be getting a new president. If our AD is on shaky ground, then I'd want assurances from higher up as well. Hopefully all involved are willing to compromise to find a solution.

We are almost NEVER going to play for a Championship

Almost never?

350.png

Did Kansas, UNC, Louisville, and Kansas State all get facilities built this past off-season? I simply can't fathom how they all are so much better this year only with better coaching when they don't have Ohio State level facilities built now that were not there last year.

Here is the kicker. And I hate to break it to the board. We aren't Ohio St. Unless you all start donating a lot more money, on a yearly basis, we will never be Ohio St. Schools like that's biggest problem is where to spend the vast resources they have.

We need to win in other ways. Is that hard? Yep. But that's the only way. As is, there is no reason we can't compete with Indiana, Purdue, and the other teams at that level.

Here is the kicker. And I hate to break it to the board. We aren't Ohio St. Unless you all start donating a lot more money, on a yearly basis, we will never be Ohio St. Schools like that's biggest problem is where to spend the vast resources they have.

We need to win in other ways. Is that hard? Yep. But that's the only way. As is, there is no reason we can't compete with Indiana, Purdue, and the other teams at that level.
Correct-a-mundo... The big guys don't need sugar-daddies.. but have multiples. Oregon has a sugar-daddy and has done fine. Oklahoma State has a sugar daddy and does okay... not great. Maryland has a sugar daddy and struggles. Rutgers has some decent supporters.. but no ultra-rich pushing it. Rutgers has to be smarter about everything... and we have not been.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Bottom line, if we are committing $100MM to top level facility upgrades (which btw, I wish we had the funds for, that would be awesome) and top coaching salaries and money for assistants, I am looking a lot higher than Greg Schiano.

I would expect a coach that won championships and brings in national attention. Maybe not Urban Meyer, but someone close.

In a round about way, maybe GS's demands will bring us there. One can hope.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Butch Jones should be a huge upgrade from Ash and Flood. Can he take us to the promise land? I have no idea. But if the boosters and money men refuse to meet Schiano's demands, then Butch Jones is one hell of a fallback plan, IMHO. On paper anyway.
What was G.S. really done since Rutgers??? Move to next candidate.

Reactions: mikeru
Someone mentioned Rose bowl.

Yep. As mentioned, Stanford played in it recently. Our facilities right now are better. It's not a facilities issue that Rutgers has. It's a coaching issue.

When GS was here last he was adamant that he have the whole Hale Center. Now he would.

What was G.S. really done since Rutgers??? Move to next candidate.
Gave us expectations for football. It’s all his fault. None of this would matter if we are in the AAC playing for the last bowl spot.

Oh please then everyone will shit on him for NOT saying as much.
Just yesterday you were bragging that you had great knowledge 3 weeks ago that Greg was coming back, as it's a "Take it to the Bank" moment. Did you or any of your insiders stop patting yourselves on the back, and take a New York minute and think maybe his demands would be out of reach for Rutgers??? The I know something you don't know crowd never ceases to turn my stomach!!!
GiddySpecificCanary-max-1mb.gif

This is where Hobbs and the big boosters come in. Remember that the Rodkins have given the single largest donation to athletics at $ 15 million dollars. I would imagine that if Greg Brown is involved he is bringing these demands back to these mega boosters and saying, " we have to spend money to make money and bringing GS in will immediately increase revenue but he needs this to really compete. I fully in the camp that this decision will be made by Greg Brown and the Boosters.
If boosters are now the decision makers we’re all in trouble!

Reactions: asgot
Yep. As mentioned, Stanford played in it recently. Our facilities right now are better. It's not a facilities issue that Rutgers has. It's a coaching issue.

When GS was here last he was adamant that he have the whole Hale Center. Now he would.
All we need to do now is make Rutgers the #1 academic school. Think 100mm is easier / achievable.

If I were an school administrator who didn't want to hire Schiano, I might consider leaking this to the press as in, "Look at how unreasonably expensive it will be to hire this control freak. Wouldn't it be very prudent to explore other options?"-style attempt to halt a train running downhill.
I'd add... leaking it.. accurate or inaccurate.. could just be designed to piss off Schiano.. if your assumption is true. That is, GS wouldn't want to work for him. And if GS pulls out.. Hobbs gets what he wants without looking like the bad guy.

If this is Hobbs wanting to negotiate in public for his reasons, GS should accommodate and leak to the paper himself and tell them what his "reasonable requests" were for.

Come to think of it.. maybe that's what Politi is going for.. there was no leak.. Politi just made it up.. guessed. OF COURSE there were "significant demands"... clearly when Ash was hired he had significant demands based on that contract.

Could be Politi stirring the pot.. first he was FOR GS.. now has a middle ground where he can blame GS and Rutgers both for not getting it done.

Last edited:
Just yesterday you were bragging that you had great knowledge 3 weeks ago that Greg was coming back, as it's a "Take it to the Bank" moment. Did you or any of your insiders stop patting yourselves on the back, and take a New York minute and think maybe his demands would be out of reach for Rutgers??? The I know something you don't know crowd never ceases to turn my stomach!!!
GiddySpecificCanary-max-1mb.gif

LOL WRONG!!! “Just yesterday” I was “bragging” about a THREAD I BEGAN that was PURE OPNION and SPECULATION as to how things COULD down hiring Greg that could potentially make a huge splash and get everyone excited again. That’s all BUT nice try!

@ruready4somefootball please read:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...enough-here’s-a-suggestion-for-ad-hobbs.176547/

Last edited:
All we need to do now is make Rutgers the #1 academic school. Think 100mm is easier / achievable.

You think Stanford being the number 1 school and having much harder requirements is an actual benefit to fielding a good football team?

Reactions: Wolv RU
ADVERTISEMENT