ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Has "Significant" Demands

Maryland has Ohio State Caliber facilities. Why shouldn’t we have the same? PSU is sinking another $70M into facilities that are better than ours. How is he supposed to recruit without an even playing field? How is he supposed to win with recruits that no one else wants? We’re either all in or out.

Maryland has Under Armor behind them. It's honestly a joke that they aren't near Oregon levels of winning.

Give him everything he wants. Seriously, everything. Time to get serious with making this a legit football program.

If we are just writing a blank check that could go upwards of nine figures, then maybe you should join the Urban Meyer crazies.

I don't think he'd be able to recruit anywhere near the level of Greg at Rutgers. And that's what we need, a big uptick in talent.

He did pull in top 10 classes at Tennessee.

Reactions: shields
Butch wants a job

Greg wants to build a program.....

your move Rutgers............ try not to
Rutgers-as-usual.........

chess.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone who is saying "just go with butch jones" is the reason why we are where we are. Trying to compete with the big boys but playing a children's game.

Do we need to be on par with OSU in terms of facilities? No.
Do we need to upgrade and be middle of the pack? Yes.

Schiano will probably be fine with us being up to par with the middle of the road teams, but we can't be so far behind everyone.

Basketball got a $100M facility, its time for Football to match

Once upon a time, i was applying for a job - got to the interview...the prospective employer was up front and put out a lucrative offer for me to help build out a new function for the company. the company was good, the money was fantastic, as were the benefits. but i asked the two who were interviewing me...what's your level of commitment to this? they told me the salary offer. i replied, no...what's your commitment...what is your budget for next year, future years, how much headcount, etc. They gave me a very small number and then asked, well, what do you think we need? I was candid and gave them a number that was 4-5x what they mentioned - that would need to be spent annually for the next few years. Then I thanked them for the opportunity to talk to them, but I don't think we would be a good match.

this is where we stand with GS. is Rutgers really ready to step up to truly compete in B1G football? if not, i wouldn't take the job either. it's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to build something from the ground up. if everyone isn't rowing in the same direction, then it's not worth it.

f I were an school administrator who didn't want to hire Schiano, I might consider leaking this to the press as in, "Look at how unreasonably expensive it will be to hire this control freak.

Of course. Obvious to anyone who has any sort of rational approach.

That being said, some of the vocal anti GS gang are repeating it as gospel to support their narrative (can't believe they actually believe it but perhaps some do given the sophistication level).

At least we know with those who jumped on quick how to put their posts into perspective over the next few years if GS is hired.

Reactions: ATIOH
Everyone who is saying "just go with butch jones" is the reason why we are where we are. Trying to compete with the big boys but playing a children's game.

Schiano will probably be fine with us being up to par with the middle of the road teams, but we can't be so far behind everyone.

We are already middle of the pack. GS is apparently asking for best in class.

And the "basketball" facility isn't just for basketball. It has a number of other sports housed there along with Sports Medicine. GS would never have gone for that. He wants everything football as a stand alone. He wanted the Hale for just football when he was here. Now he has it.

Had he stayed and won, maybe he would be in position to demand such things now. Things changed for Rutgers and him after he left. No one is beating his door down to lead a p5 program.

It isn't. But if you hire Greg Schiano, what leads you to believe that he will deliver more?

Because at the end of his tenure (after he had essentially rebuilt the program from the very bottom, where it was when he took over), he was achieving better-than-mediocre results, as well as Top 30 recruiting classes - and he was accomplishing this while everyone believed the school was in a bad conference that was dying. I think it's reasonable to believe he could have even better recruiting success now that the school is on a solid footing in the 2nd best conference in the country. But as is always true, you have to spend money to make money ... if the school administration's goal is to just sit on the big pile of Big 10 money that we are about to get, and not re-invest it back into football, then we're going to continue to have the terrible results we've had since Schiano left.

EDIT: All of that said, I'm not even convinced Schiano is a coach capable of having Rutgers in the perennially in the Top 25. However, I believe he is the most likely coach to be able to immediately stop the bleeding and re-build the football program back to a point where we aren't universally recognized as the doormat of the conference. And right now, I'm worried about stopping the bleeding (and that might take 5 years).

Ask anyone on this board if they would have their kids pick RU over Stanford.

What's that have to do with having worse facilities and winning the Rose Bowl?

Here is a better more realistic question- how many of your kids could get into Stanford?

Because at the end of his tenure (after he had essentially rebuilt the program from the very bottom, where it was when he took over), he was achieving better-than-mediocre results, as well as Top 30 recruiting classes - and he was accomplishing this while everyone believed the school was in a bad conference that was dying. I think it's reasonable to believe he could have even better recruiting success now that the school is on a solid footing in the 2nd best conference in the country. But as is always true, you have to spend money to make money ... if the school administration's goal is to just sit on the big pile of Big 10 money that we are about to get, and not re-invest it back into football, then we're going to continue to have the terrible results we've had since Schiano left.

If the $4MM number for him and larger assistant pool dollars is accurate, we are spending more money.

We will never spend like OSU. I am not sure why this is so hard to understand as a Rutgers fan. It's almost like some live in a parallel universe where the laws of simple math are suspended.

GS was the driving force behind stadium expansion, a major factor in our B1G invite. The guys who wanted him fired in 2004 and were proven wrong will never like him. Others act like he has no options. He walked away from the Patriots, that is a job that many in the business would kill for. He signed a 5 year contract @ $3 million with TB when he left RU. Apparently made a boat load on his buying and then selling his house there.

We can't put a huge financial obligation ($100 million) into his contract that some here are speculating about. He knows that as well. But the admin must be committed to winning B1G football games. Could we win with a diamond in the rough type who does more with less? Sure. But another failure after Flood and Ash crushes this program. We are not Stanford, recruiting nationally, a history of winning under pretty much every coach who comes. We are Rutgers in 2019, the worst power 5 team out there.

What's that have to do with having worse facilities and winning the Rose Bowl?

Here is a better more realistic question- how many of your kids could get into Stanford?
That’s the point. Most kids can’t get in. But if football can get you in, then it’s a huge advantage.

If the $4MM number for him and larger assistant pool dollars is accurate, we are spending more money.

I'm not interested in just spending more money. I'm interested in spending the necessary amount of money to accomplish both short-term and long-term goals. And the short-term goal should be to stop the bleeding immediately. And the long-term goal should be consistent Top 25 rankings and occasionally competing for conference championships and New Years Day bowls.

That’s the point. Most kids can’t get in. But if football can get you in, then it’s a huge advantage.

That's also the point. Stanford football players can't just get in. I remember an interview with Harbaugh when he was there. He estimated the total number of football players that could get into Stanford and were projected to be D1 talent (not 5 star talent) was roughly 40 kids per class.

Rutgers has no such limitations, and better facilities. There is no reason we can't win more than Stanford.

That's also the point. Stanford football players can't just get in. I remember an interview with Harbaugh when he was there. He estimated the total number of football players that could get into Stanford and were projected to be D1 talent (not 5 star talent) was roughly 40 kids per class.

Rutgers has no such limitations, and better facilities. There is no reason we can't win more than Stanford.

or Northwestern, or Duke...

A forward thinking person, even if we had $100MM, might forgo facilities all together.

I'd see how it shakes out with paying athletes. I'd use those funds to "endorse" all the best players I could buy instead of putting them into facilities that benefit the guys to some degree, but I am sure they'd much rather have.

Us and 50 other schools, but Stanford always finishes ahead all of them. Let’s simplify, if a kids gets an offer from RU and Stanford, he is not coming to RU. Advantage Stanford.

Current top 25. I bet we have better facilities, right now, than 40% of the teams listed. Certainly comparable.

The facilities argument was valid when GS first took over. It no longer is.

Us and 50 other schools, but Stanford always finishes ahead all of them. Let’s simplify, if a kids gets an offer from RU and Stanford, he is not coming to RU. Advantage Stanford.

If Rutgers can get in 10,000 more kids, advantage Rutgers. It's a numbers game. Plus our facilities are better.

Getting the board to "own" whatever commitment is made important given that we'll be getting a new president. If our AD is on shaky ground, then I'd want assurances from higher up as well. Hopefully all involved are willing to compromise to find a solution.

The "higher up" or more accurately the "highest up" was present at the meeting according to the article. There is no one with more authority than Brown. He certainly could have said right then that "this is likely agreeable" and then gotten the necessary approvals. He didn't because the demands likely aren't.

Because at the end of his tenure (after he had essentially rebuilt the program from the very bottom, where it was when he took over), he was achieving better-than-mediocre results [...]
I don't really have a horse in this race, but the last five years Schiano was at Rutgers, he was 16-19 in conference. When evaluating him, I always say that to look at his first five years is unfair, considering where he came from. But I do think examining his last five is more than fair, and they weren't good.

Demands to improve the football program and its facilities.

Rightful demands. If you want to win you need to do what it takes to win.
I agree with caveats. Schiano needs to have a "oh, while you were out" moment. He needs to look around at the competitive landscape of the Athletic Department. The tremendous success of Wrestling. M&W Basketball, M&W Soccer, Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Swimming & Diving, Baseball, Softball....and on and on. Even the Volleyball Team is incrementally moving up the B1G ranks. All while achieving outstanding academic performance. A rising tide floats all boats and those programs have all received investments from the State, the University, Donors and Organizations. Football has underachieved as the favorite son.... Schiano has to have reasonable goals, timetables and Return on Investment. It's not going to be as bad as his first years but he has enough to get us to the middle of the pack in B1G Football. If he does...he'll get the rest of what he needs.

found this post somewhere out there on the interwebs.. think its older info.. Stanford football players do NOT have to hit the same score as non-football playing students.. but it is still high. I do doubt that previously quoted 40 D1 players per year could meet Stanford's requirements. It is a non-starter since they do not require that.

In 1997, Scout.com's 'the Bootleg' did an analysis of a published report from the NCAA about Division I Graduation Rates [1].

In the report, the NCAA supposedly included SAT averages for sports teams from all Div I-A schools who reported scores.

Their findings:
National Average Football SAT score: 914
Stanford Football Average: 1108 (ranked #1 nationally that year)

here are other scores from that study for comparison:
Michigan (929),
Notre Dame (925),
UCLA (1002),
CAL (877),
Texas (970)
USC (953),
Oregon (958)

Interestingly, the Stanford football team's graduation rate of 94% was reported to be identical to the overall student body's.

These figures are supposed to be from a study conducted by the NCAA in 1997, which apparently used SAT scores for the 1993-1996 entering freshmen classes.​

Last edited:

LOL at people who think Butch Jones is a downgrade from Schiano.

I agree with caveats. Schiano needs to have a "oh, while you were out" moment. He needs to look around at the competitive landscape of the Athletic Department. The tremendous success of Wrestling. M&W Basketball, M&W Soccer, Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Swimming & Diving, Baseball, Softball....and on and on. Even the Volleyball Team is incrementally moving up the B1G ranks. All while achieving outstanding academic performance. A rising tide floats all boats and those programs have all received investments from the State, the University, Donors and Organizations. Football has underachieved as the favorite son.... Schiano has to have reasonable goals, timetables and Return on Investment. It's not going to be as bad as his first years but he has enough to get us to the middle of the pack in B1G Football. If he does...he'll get the rest of what he needs.

Our lax team has been competing with a bad high school level lockerroom and facilities. Will be interesting when the Rodkin Center is done.

Anyone can come in and demand best in class facilities. Again, if you are going that route and are going go somehow compete in the best facilities game, I expect someone more accomplished than Greg Schiano.

I hope his demands lead us there. That would be ironic.

I'm not interested in just spending more money. I'm interested in spending the necessary amount of money to accomplish both short-term and long-term goals. And the short-term goal should be to stop the bleeding immediately. And the long-term goal should be consistent Top 25 rankings and occasionally competing for conference championships and New Years Day bowls.

What bleeding? People keep talking about this "BLEEDING." What the frag is this bleeding you schiano worshippers are talking about exactly?

So your vote is to tear down the Hale Center? The problem is that the "solution" of an all-in-one hugely expensive field house is very inefficient for Rutgers. Why can't this just be an indoor practice facility to replace the bubble and then $20 million in Hale Center upgrades over the next 5 years or so?

Reactions: Knightmoves
Once upon a time, i was applying for a job - got to the interview...the prospective employer was up front and put out a lucrative offer for me to help build out a new function for the company. the company was good, the money was fantastic, as were the benefits. but i asked the two who were interviewing me...what's your level of commitment to this? they told me the salary offer. i replied, no...what's your commitment...what is your budget for next year, future years, how much headcount, etc. They gave me a very small number and then asked, well, what do you think we need? I was candid and gave them a number that was 4-5x what they mentioned - that would need to be spent annually for the next few years. Then I thanked them for the opportunity to talk to them, but I don't think we would be a good match.

this is where we stand with GS. is Rutgers really ready to step up to truly compete in B1G football? if not, i wouldn't take the job either. it's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to build something from the ground up. if everyone isn't rowing in the same direction, then it's not worth it.
super point!!

So your vote is to tear down the Hale Center? The problem is that the "solution" of an all-in-one hugely expensive field house is very inefficient for Rutgers. Why can't this just be an indoor practice facility to replace the bubble and then $20 million in Hale Center upgrades over the next 5 years or so?
do not replace the bubble but in addition to the bubble between the hale center and the practice fields

Someone probably already mentioned this but I saw on twitter (I’ll find the link and add it) that RU wants this to be done by around tOSU game. If not Schiano, who seems to be #1 choice, Butch Jones had a very good interview and is the only other choice

The hypocrisy is OFF THE CHARTS!!!

Ash and Hobbs have done a great job upgrading our facilities - "We don't care!!!"
Schiano asks for better facilities - "Greg is the man! He knows how to win! Yes, better facilities needed!

Ash says it's going to take time to build a good program - "Fck the Ash seven year plan!!!"
Poll comes out asking how long for Schiano to win - "Seven years should be about right"

OMFG!!!!

If Rutgers can get in 10,000 more kids, advantage Rutgers. It's a numbers game. Plus our facilities are better.
Quality over quantity. You can only have 11 on the field. More kids doesn’t mean better. Head to head in recruiting, RU loses to Stanford 100% of the time.

What bleeding? People keep talking about this "BLEEDING." What the frag is this bleeding you schiano worshippers are talking about exactly?

We're universally recognized as a bottom-5 Power Conference team, and our stadium is empty, and our recruiting has gotten worse every year for a decade.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Quality over quantity. You can only have 11 on the field. More kids doesn’t mean better. Head to head in recruiting, RU loses to Stanford 100% of the time.

It's an absurd argument to make that having harder admissions standards is somehow better for winning football games. We can disagree on it.

It's simple, if we ever want to play for a Championship, we need championship facilities. I'm sure he doesn't want to be hamstrung by the "on the cheap" policies of the past.
Play for a championship, man we need to get to 500 first

Reactions: shields
We're universally recognized as a bottom-5 Power Conference team, and our stadium is empty, and our recruiting has gotten worse every year for a decade.

And you think hiring Schiano today versus a month from now will change any of that?

Stanford was a good school before the Silicon Valley tech boom.. now they are a HOT and great school. Right place, right time.
meanwhile NJ is driving high tech and and the like out. How has the rt 1 corridor changed over the past 25yrs? amazing to think that NJ pols don't get it. You can't go from top 8 in business friendly to 47 and expect that to flow to your flagship school. nuts

ADVERTISEMENT