ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
When you say the words Rutgers football, the first think that comes to mind is Greg Schiano.
He is the face of the program, he is the program...opposing teams don’t want to lose to Schiano, they hate Schiano!
Him leading us out of the tunnel makes us legitimate, if you’re traveling and college football comes up, you can confidently say you’re an RU fan and GS is back...look out.
This is the way I feel anyway

I hope that GS becomes our Snyder, Ferentz, Solich, etc. A guy that’s essentially an institution at the school, and there are no questions or concerns will remain the HC for years to come. Would be nice to have GS here for 15-20 yrs. until he’s ready to retire.

When you say the words Rutgers football, the first think that comes to mind is Greg Schiano.
He is the face of the program, he is the program...opposing teams don’t want to lose to Schiano, they hate Schiano!
Him leading us out of the tunnel makes us legitimate, if you’re traveling and college football comes up, you can confidently say you’re an RU fan and GS is back...look out.
Zapp I agree with you except for one thing.I don’t know how you can say “opposing teams don’t want to lose to Schiano, they hate Schiano!” I could understand if you said they don’t want to lose to Rutgers. I don’t think most of these players really know or are familiar with Schiano (not yet anyway)Maybe some of the coaches.

Last edited:
I think Zappa might be using other teams as a catch all to include other fan bases. He is 100% correct. Cuss, UConn, Pitt, etc fans hated Greg. It is great to have him back.

I think the Cuse fans accuse Schiano of playing dirty when it comes to recruiting....going back to Brian Leonard and Ray Rice days...... the story on how they lost those two is different than what we have come to hear.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
It does feel right that Schiano is back

YOU,my young friend(everyone is young to me) are not alone in feeling this. Count me as on board. ONE MONTH LATER-- Reading my post ,this day of 07/22/20, I couldn't agree with ME more.

Last edited:
Nailed it.

despite alL the adversity there is excitement and hope in the air !

I can’t wait to start beating B1G teams regularly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
I hope that GS becomes our Snyder, Ferentz, Solich, etc. A guy that’s essentially an institution at the school, and there are no questions or concerns will remain the HC for years to come. Would be nice to have GS here for 15-20 yrs. until he’s ready to retire.
If the above happens then I’ll be able to agree with the below more...

Re-watching the Louisville game the announcers kept saying Schiano‘a team. Don’t ever recall hearing Flood’s team or Ash’s team during game calls.

Schiano has a press conference with the media today. Hopefully no announcement of more players forced to quarantine for 14 days.

The hate angle makes me want to make a list of which demographics out there truly dislike Schiano and why:

- Tampa Bay Bucs fans dislike Schiano because his tenure didnt work out
and he was often painted as obstinate and the single most public example of that would have to be Tom Coughlin’s reaction to sending guys on a kneeling play, then you have the MRSA thing in the locker room

- Tennessee fans probably never cared about him one way or another, but when Clay Travis got butthurt that GS was going to coach the Vols, he orchestrated a smear campaign that good ol’ boys joined in on and cross promoted the hate over to the masses that are outraged about what went on with Penn State and Sandusky

- Cuse fans probably hate GS disproportionately

Who else in particular and why?

The hate angle makes me want to make a list of which demographics out there truly dislike Schiano and why:

- Tampa Bay Bucs fans dislike Schiano because his tenure didnt work out
and he was often painted as obstinate and the single most public example of that would have to be Tom Coughlin’s reaction to sending guys on a kneeling play, then you have the MRSA thing in the locker room

- Tennessee fans probably never cared about him one way or another, but when Clay Travis got butthurt that GS was going to coach the Vols, he orchestrated a smear campaign that good ol’ boys joined in on and cross promoted the hate over to the masses that are outraged about what went on with Penn State and Sandusky

- Cuse fans probably hate GS disproportionately

Who else in particular and why?
Why did you post this horse crap?

Reactions: RUHouston
I think the Cuse fans accuse Schiano of playing dirty when it comes to recruiting....going back to Brian Leonard and Ray Rice days...... the story on how they lost those two is different than what we have come to hear.
GS was accused of knocking out QB’s, playing dirty and being a used car salesmen.
He’s arrogant and demanding.
Opposition fan bases despise losing to him, when it starts to happen in the B1G...GS will be hated...he’s Tony Soprano to the rest of the country

Why did you post this horse crap?

Because you said opposing teams HATE Schiano, and I didnt think they do, so I am posing the question why anyone might hate him and posted the only reasons that I could conceive of.

Come on, we are in a forum, you start a conversation, and I participate in good faith in your conversation and you call it horse crap.

Schiano rejuvenated the program which no other coach would have been able to do. I don't care who you brought in, there's no way they could have been this thorough in reengaging the fanbase, getting so many if not all NJ high school coaches on board, creating a palpable buzz around the program, understanding the need to hire enough coaches with a NJ background, etc. What blows my mind is that Pat Hobbs and some members of the BOG could not see or understand this.

Because you said opposing teams HATE Schiano, and I didnt think they do, so I am posing the question why anyone might hate him and posted the only reasons that I could conceive of.

Come on, we are in a forum, you start a conversation, and I participate in good faith in your conversation and you call it horse crap.
You were obviously oblivious to the fan sentiment of many of our opponents in the old BE

You mean the story their fans tell. right?

Not sure about Rice but Leonard was a very simple story.. his brother Nate was a Syracuse recruit.. he got injured in HS.. Syracuse did not want him. That's how we got both Leonards. We took a chance on Nate and stuck to our offer.

If he never wins the Big 10 but keeps us competitive and not the joke of NCAA football, I’ll take it
@colbert17 is joking but even if Greg only gets us to the point where we are “in the mix” for the B1G his second tenure here would be considered a huge success IMO.

In the mix B1G > similar in Big East/AAC

An “in the mix” scenario could conceivably include a NYD Bowl.

Last edited:
GS was accused of knocking out QB’s, playing dirty and being a used car salesmen.
He’s arrogant and demanding.
Opposition fan bases despise losing to him, when it starts to happen in the B1G...GS will be hated...he’s Tony Soprano to the rest of the country
Love the soprano reference

Right, because Syracuse athletics have always just been so squeaky clean :Laughing.

They are just mad Schiano fought back.

In what way is it different? Brian himself has stated repeatedly that the reason he chose RU over Cuse was because RU honored his brother Nate's scholarship offer despite his HS senior year injury when most other schools, including Cuse, lost interest in him.
As far as Ray, he and Courtney Greene were seniors when Pasqualoni was fired and so they chose RU over the new staff they had no relationship with. Nothing nefarious there, it happens all the time. Happened to us when Flood was let go. What are they saying over there? That we gave them bags of cash?

Reactions: redking
In what way is it different? Brian himself has stated repeatedly that the reason he chose RU over Cuse was because RU honored his brother Nate's scholarship offer despite his HS senior year injury when most other schools, including Cuse, lost interest in him.
As far as Ray, he and Courtney Greene were seniors when Pasqualoni was fired and so they chose RU over the new staff they had no relationship with. Nothing nefarious there, it happens all the time. Happened to us when Flood was let go. What are they saying over there? That we gave them bags of cash?

I am sure that deep in the “dumpster fire”
Thread about Rutgers, a thread that goes on for hundreds of pages, there are references that Greg is dirty when it comes to recruiting

We know how we landed Ray and Brian,
They looked at it as possibly dirty recruiting

And they would be wrong

It seemed to intensify after we got better

A trip to the Syracuse board and viewing the
Rutgers Dumpster thread would be an eye opener for many here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT