ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano

@colbert17 is joking but even if Greg only gets us to the point where we are “in the mix” for the B1G his second tenure here would be considered a huge success IMO.

In the mix B1G > similar in Big East/AAC

An “in the mix” scenario could conceivably include a NYD Bowl.

Agree. If Schiano regularly gets us 8 wins in the B1G we'll go to the best bowls we've ever been to. And despite what the doubters say, in my mind it's very doable.

I am sure that deep in the “dumpster fire”
Thread about Rutgers, a thread that goes on for hundreds of pages, there are references that Greg is dirty when it comes to recruiting

We know how we landed Ray and Brian,
They looked at it as possibly dirty recruiting

And they would be wrong

It seemed to intensify after we got better

A trip to the Syracuse board and viewing the
Rutgers Dumpster thread would be an eye opener for many here
Wasn't that thread up to over 700 pages? I looked at it years ago. It was so full of hate.

In what way is it different? Brian himself has stated repeatedly that the reason he chose RU over Cuse was because RU honored his brother Nate's scholarship offer despite his HS senior year injury when most other schools, including Cuse, lost interest in him.
As far as Ray, he and Courtney Greene were seniors when Pasqualoni was fired and so they chose RU over the new staff they had no relationship with. Nothing nefarious there, it happens all the time. Happened to us when Flood was let go. What are they saying over there? That we gave them bags of cash?

They whine about GS negative-recruiting Syracuse. Doug Morrone claimed we’d show recruits pictures of the worst parts of the downtown area. Stuff like that. Again, in the past 50+ years you mean to tell me Syracuse coaches in any sport never badmouthed Rutgers, it’s campus, the city of New Brunswick, etc? FOH with that. Again, we were just so easy for them to kick while we were down. They got mad when we finally got up off the mat, showed some pride and actually fought back. It’s as simple as that.

I think the Cuse fans accuse Schiano of playing dirty when it comes to recruiting....going back to Brian Leonard and Ray Rice days...... the story on how they lost those two is different than what we have come to hear.
Brian Leonard actually said once that one of main reasons he came here is because Terry Shea didn't stop recruiting his brother Nate when he got injured in high school and Syracuse pulled their offer. So Leonard is the one thing we can thank Terry Shea for

Brian Leonard actually said once that one of main reasons he came here is because Terry Shea didn't stop recruiting his brother Nate when he got injured in high school and Syracuse pulled their offer. So Leonard is the one thing we can thank Terry Shea for

yes, this is a well known fact here at RU...I knew this already.....point is, some Syracuse fans think otherwise

In what way is it different? Brian himself has stated repeatedly that the reason he chose RU over Cuse was because RU honored his brother Nate's scholarship offer despite his HS senior year injury when most other schools, including Cuse, lost interest in him.
As far as Ray, he and Courtney Greene were seniors when Pasqualoni was fired and so they chose RU over the new staff they had no relationship with. Nothing nefarious there, it happens all the time. Happened to us when Flood was let go. What are they saying over there? That we gave them bags of cash?
This is it, as far as I know. It's really not a story to me. Greg did what he was suppose to do. He grabbed the Leonard's and was able to get Ray and Courtney after the PP firing.

They whine about GS negative-recruiting Syracuse. Doug Morrone claimed we’d show recruits pictures of the worst parts of the downtown area. Stuff like that. Again, in the past 50+ years you mean to tell me Syracuse coaches in any sport never badmouthed Rutgers, it’s campus, the city of New Brunswick, etc? FOH with that. Again, we were just so easy for them to kick while we were down. They got mad when we finally got up off the mat, showed some pride and actually fought back. It’s as simple as that.
I dont know about all that but I do know Greg staff was negative recruiting against Cuse when Marrone got there. I remember being at a coaching clinic where a Cuse coach mentioned it to the HS coaches. It was easy to talk bad about SU at that time. It was a really bad program at that point.

When you say the words Rutgers football, the first think that comes to mind is Greg Schiano.
He is the face of the program, he is the program...opposing teams don’t want to lose to Schiano, they hate Schiano!
Him leading us out of the tunnel makes us legitimate, if you’re traveling and college football comes up, you can confidently say you’re an RU fan and GS is back...look out.
This is the way I feel anyway
all know I'm not a GS fanboy however I do agree with you and in hindsight being 20/20, if he doesn't leave then we are a legit top 20 program year in and year out.

Reactions: zappaa
I am sure that deep in the “dumpster fire”
Thread about Rutgers, a thread that goes on for hundreds of pages, there are references that Greg is dirty when it comes to recruiting

We know how we landed Ray and Brian,
They looked at it as possibly dirty recruiting

And they would be wrong

It seemed to intensify after we got better

A trip to the Syracuse board and viewing the
Rutgers Dumpster thread would be an eye opener for many here
link please

And it was easy to talk very bad about Rutgers in the 90's and early 00's. The worst that could have been said before we entered play in Big East football in 1991 was that we didn't play a big-time schedule and that we had small time facilities/little academic support.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I dont know about all that but I do know Greg staff was negative recruiting against Cuse when Marrone got there. I remember being at a coaching clinic where a Cuse coach mentioned it to the HS coaches. It was easy to talk bad about SU at that time. It was a really bad program at that point.
Just talking about the best Syracuse has to offer could be considered negative recruiting

Most fans want to believe their program doesn't negative recruit, but the truth is everyone does it, from Alabama down to UMass.

Reactions: money3189
Like the movie Godfather, Part II was better than Part I. Schiano Part II will be better than Schiano Part I.

I don't think there will be Schiano Part III. .But you never know.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Greg was a Moses type - an old testament coach who was good at laying down laws and cultivating a new culture. He freed Rutgers from an abyss, but without being able to enter the promised land himself (like Moses). He had good teams when he had good players. Unfortunately, the Butch Davis/Miami style of aggressive defense and low turnover risk offense didn't translate well in new era of spread offenses. Aggression vs White, Slaton and Schmitt had a lot of downside. RU never had a good red zone offense in Schiano era

Greg was a Moses type - an old testament coach who was good at laying down laws and cultivating a new culture. He freed Rutgers from an abyss, but without being able to enter the promised land himself (like Moses). He had good teams when he had good players. Unfortunately, the Butch Davis/Miami style of aggressive defense and low turnover risk offense didn't translate well in new era of spread offenses. Aggression vs White, Slaton and Schmitt had a lot of downside. RU never had a good red zone offense in Schiano era
It was good enough. The players didn’t execute it when it mattered most.

If more of them do their job during his tenure we have a different history.

My favorite negative recruiting 'Cuse story is Paul Pasqualoni's staff telling Jersey recruits that Dick Anderson still wore his Nittany Lion pajamas under his RU gear.
That was Dick McPherson who said Dick Anderson
Wore blue and white underwear, and he probably did.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
As for GS negative recruiting.. I don't buy it. Maybe we had a rogue recruiter here or there who might stray off script.. but I don't see a man who preaches positivity in every facet of the program going down that road.

Simply does not pass the smell test when Syracuse is the only school complaining. I think it is all a negative recruiting angle that Syracuse fans are taking.

You mean the story their fans tell. right?

Not sure about Rice but Leonard was a very simple story.. his brother Nate was a Syracuse recruit.. he got injured in HS.. Syracuse did not want him. That's how we got both Leonards. We took a chance on Nate and stuck to our offer.
I thought that Rice decommitted after Pasqualoni was fired.

That was Dick McPherson who said Dick Anderson
Wore blue and white underwear, and he probably did.
Thanks for the correction - forgot Dick McPherson.

I think I heard him doing the post game show on the local Syracuse radio after one of Schiano's better teams dismantled them in the Dome. The guy was going on and on about all the good things the orangemen showed that day. I know it is his job is to be a homer, but boy howdy, you'd think it was an orange inter-squad scrimmage for the amount of times he mentioned the opponent.

399 pages that began in 2013....have fun if you want to read it all

https://syracusefan.com/threads/the-all-inclusive-rutgers-dumpster-fire-thread.61753/
So looking at the last page of that (399), it's fascinating to see what our pal money3189 has to say when he's not on our board:

money3189 said:
lol well said. The best players during shady era have been 2 stars like the McCourty's leonard, Teel, Sanu and Rice, not the over rated high 3 stars and 4 stars.

money3189 said:
Recruiting services over value the mid tier to bottom tier prospects in NJ. Ruckers under performed with shady in the Big East. Couldn't do anything after their magical 2006 season. They had some recruiting classes that should have given them some Big East titles. Its gonna be worse now that he's going against competent coaches with just as much talent or more.

money3189 said:
HtownOrange said:
Rutgers = Ruckers = Rykers? I understand the correlation, just curious whether it was intentional.
yes, I have many ways of spelling it. Quick story. One of my players text me years back and said he got a letter from ruckers lol Thats where I got that one from.

Reactions: money3189
As for GS negative recruiting.. I don't buy it. Maybe we had a rogue recruiter here or there who might stray off script.. but I don't see a man who preaches positivity in every facet of the program going down that road.

Simply does not pass the smell test when Syracuse is the only school complaining. I think it is all a negative recruiting angle that Syracuse fans are taking.
Don't buy it? Everyone does it to some level. You dont think Big 10 teams weren't asking recruits why they will go to rutgers when Ash was the coach? Im not saying Schiano's negative recruiting was the reason for their lack of success. Cuse sucked during that time for many other reasons but it doesn't mean other Big East teams weren't pointing that out to recruits.

So looking at the last page of that (399), it's fascinating to see what our pal money3189 has to say when he's not on our board:
Of course I say things like that on a syracuse board. Thats the fun of it. There's lots of syracuse mention here. You are gonna take shots at us. As you should.

Edit That's one of the reasons why I post on that thread. To see who will react. So many people on this board claim they dont look and dont care about it.

I use to sit with the Leonards parents at the
Practices (before the new coach came in and disallowed fans to sit on the sidelines.)
And their mom talked about how Brian
Was coming the next year. So He was here
Because of Shea. No matter how hard people
Try to revise history.

I use to sit with the Leonards parents at the
Practices (before the new coach came in and disallowed fans to sit on the sidelines.)
And their mom talked about how Brian
Was coming the next year. So He was here
Because of Shea. No matter how hard people
Try to revise history.
interesting given the view on Brian and GS

Of course I say things like that on a syracuse board. Thats the fun of it. There's lots of syracuse mention here. You are gonna take shots at us. As you should.

Edit That's one of the reasons why I post on that thread. To see who will react. So many people on this board claim they dont look and dont care about it.
source.gif

Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif

8Mz9.gif

The thread title here is Greg Schiano.. over there it is Rutgers Dumpster Fire.. we don't obsess with how Syracuse is doing... at least not now that we are in the Big Ten.

It is a little bit fascinating that their fans have to pump themselves up by claiming some superiority to Rutgers. That is an oxymoron because they cannot obsess about Rutgers while being superior to Rutgers. The obsession proves they are not superior.

Agree. If Schiano regularly gets us 8 wins in the B1G we'll go to the best bowls we've ever been to. And despite what the doubters say, in my mind it's very doable.
The beauty of it is that if Greg has himself a few 8 win seasons and at or over .500 in conference with a couple of elite wins...our recruiting would blow up and 8 wins becomes the median not our goal.

The beauty of it is that if Greg has himself a few 8 win seasons and at or over .500 in conference with a couple of elite wins...our recruiting would blow up and 8 wins becomes the median not our goal.

I've always felt this. We just need to get to a level of respectable performance and build from there.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT