ADVERTISEMENT

Greg

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
*** to clarify: halftime adjustments were fantastic

Listen, I get that we don’t have the talent that Penn state has, but Greg’s inability, or stubbornness, to change his game plan on either side of the ball during the first half is stunning. I just don’t get it. You would think he would’ve learned by now.

Last edited:
Listen, I get that we don’t have the talent that Penn state has, but Greg’s inability, or stubbornness, to change his game plan on either side of the ball during the first half is stunning. I just don’t get it. You would think he would’ve learned by now.
What would you have done? Specifics. And not just put Art in.

I’m not sure what he could have done. We tried running up the middle. We tried running sideways. We tried passing sideways, nothing. We tried passing downfield, had some catches but some drops. What else can he do, run the Indiana circus lateral play?

I thought our defense adjusted by the end of the first half — came up with a couple of big stops.

This could have easily been 17-7 going into the half, with RU getting the ball first.

Offense really struggled with size and speed discrepancy today.

I guess you stopped watching after the first half

Please read my original post again.

He actually did a great job at halftime IMHO. My problem with him is, just like in the past, he never adjusts during the first half...ever.

I’m sorry guys but it was very obvious that we could not run up the middle, or to the sidelines, against them. We did absolutely nothing in the first half to adjust to that. Nothing whatsoever. And we didn’t adjust on defense until the last series or two of the first half.

Cmon man. You called ash a closer and now go after schiano? How many Hoboken drafts have you had ?

Dude I’m thrilled with where we are now but there’s certain things you have to question. You should talk, by the way, so don’t even go there ha ha Ha!

Dude I’m thrilled with where we are now but there’s certain things you have to question. You should talk, by the way, so don’t even go there ha ha Ha!
What do you mean I should talk? Last week at halftime I was wrong . But I told you ash was awful and you said he was a closer. Facts

Reactions: RUB1GTime
He’s no master in game. That’s certainly a fair criticism. The bigger issue is for whatever reason the kids weren’t ready to play. This was a bad match up for us but the game was never in question when your lines are getting blown up every play on O and D.

I’m sorry guys but it was very obvious that we could not run up the middle, or to the sidelines, against them. We did absolutely nothing in the first half to adjust to that. Nothing whatsoever. And we didn’t adjust on defense until the last series or two of the first half.

It’s hard to say they didn’t try to incorporate downfield stuff. Any time we appeared to try to pass downfield, the pocket collapsed and Vedral was on the run.

At some point you can’t expect the staff to reinvent football on the fly.

Bad take. We simply got bitch-slapped by a more talented team playing their best half of the year. Not much you can do when both lines were being absolutely dominated. Was at least happy to see us "win" the 2nd half and not take the blowout, which is what would've likely happened with Ash.

Bad take. We simply got bitch-slapped by a more talented team playing their best half of the year. Not much you can do when both lines were being absolutely dominated. Was at least happy to see us "win" the 2nd half and not take the blowout, which is what would've likely happened with Ash.

What exactly is a “bad take”? Did we adjust in the first half? Absolutely not. That’s all I’m saying.

The other team is just one level above RU with players and results are not going to change until our roster / players are at a higher level , it’s just that simple. The bully in the schoolyard will keep beating you up until either you learn how to defend yourself or you get bigger and stronger than the bully.

It’s hard to say they didn’t try to incorporate downfield stuff. Any time we appeared to try to pass downfield, the pocket collapsed and Vedral was on the run.

At some point you can’t expect the staff to reinvent football on the fly.

So why not throw quick slants? Like we did against Illinois on that drive at the end of the game that we absolutely killed them on every time we had 3rd and long??

Sorry guys, just frustrating, bottom line is Greg beats Franklin 9 out of 10 times with anywhere close to the same amount of talent and we could have beat him today but I felt like we gave it away in the first half. Just a bit frustrated BUT so optimistic!!

While I hate losing. While I hate losing to Penn State more than anything. I LOVE that this team never quits, never gives up. Kudos to Schiano, the staff and of course the players for playing all 60 mins. Our time will come!

Completely agree. We came out of the locker room for the third quarter like a completely different team. That’s what frustrates me!

Reactions: JRZEER and WhiteBus
So why not throw quick slants? Like we did against Illinois on that drive at the end of the game that we absolutely killed them on every time we had 3rd and long??

Have you SEEN Vedral throw quick anything? let alone quick slants...
We would have had more INTS but at least Art would have moved the ball more down the field...

Reactions: RU#1fan and RUShea
Have you SEEN Vedral throw quick anything? let alone quick slants...
We would have had more INTS but at least Art would have moved the ball more down the field...

Yeah I saw him throw a bunch of them against Illinois on third and long the final drive of the game. Or am I completely losing my mind and that was another quarterback lol?

He has typically had two or so games a season where the team comes out flat. This was basically that game. I really abhor the people that seem sincerely happy. Yes I am glad to have schiano and I think he will get usback to bowl team level. I am not happy at will any of the losses this season and I just dont understand the people that are. sure competitive football to watch the chris trash frootball. greg used to talk about how he reviewed every component of his job after the season and made changes. Greg frankly makes less changes that any coach I have ever seen. He is what he is. I am glad he is our coach and I think he will do well. the wtf or flat games like uconn 11 and unfortunately many others will continue to happen unless we have a ray rice type at every position and that is going to take serious scouting and recruiting.

It boggles my mind that people don't know this.

I completely agree and we were absolutely getting dominated on the lines in the first half which is why I don’t understand how we didn’t switch up things on offense instead of trying to run the ball right up the middle or to the sidelines against them every single first and second down. Do you not agree with that? Shouldn’t you try something else?

How did we play better against OSU than PSU? OSU has better talent than PSU. Where were the trick plays?

I think there was a punt early in the fourth quarter that went out of bounds that we were set up to throw the ball across the field to Melton but other than that, we ran one trick play, that got absolutely stuffed.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
There's not a whole lot you can do when our OLine gets blown up every single play. They killed us in the trenches.
On O that is true.

On D.. PSU OL cheated in first qtr and most of first half.. so much holding.

But in the second half we did make adjustments.. Millen talked about it. We had to send more D than they could block/hold.. and with a big lead the holds were not as frequent nor as bad until that last drive of theirs. They again dipped into the well of holding defenders to finish off the game.

Yes.. PSU OL is better than out DL... but not THAT much better.. not without cheating. And we saw that much of the 2nd half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT