ADVERTISEMENT

Griffiths

Unless there is mention of shooting ability the program will continue having difficulty winning tournament games.Pikiell has done a outstanding job in building a winning program.Recruiting players like Griffiths is what is needed to take the next step in being a top tier Big Ten basketball program.
Is that the new standard? Winning Big Dance games? After making it back-to-back and likely 3 years in a row without Covid? We beat Clemson and had Houston on the ropes translates to having difficulty winning tourny games? Lost in OT to Notre Dame this year? Both of the last 2 teams could have made a deep run. Especially the 2021 team as Houston was a very good team that advanced deep. I swear people will complain if Pike doesn't make a Final Four in his first decade.

Is that the new standard? Winning Big Dance games? After making it back-to-back and likely 3 years in a row without Covid? We beat Clemson and had Houston on the ropes translates to having difficulty winning tourny games? Lost in OT to Notre Dame this year? Both of the last 2 teams could have made a deep run. Especially the 2021 team as Houston was a very good team that advanced deep. I swear people will complain if Pike doesn't make a Final Four in his first decade.
I mean... it sort of is the new standard which is a credit to the job he's done. Not that he needs to make a Final Four by 2027 or be fired but yes advancing in the tournament is the idea.

There's flexibility here. If he doesn't make a second weekend but is going to the tournament nearly every year and winning at least some first round games (like Fran McCaffrey) then that's okay. If he's not making many tournaments but has a deep run or two then that's okay (after year 10, Scott Drew had only made three tournaments but two Elite 8s) then that's okay too.

I'd worry that getting RU to this point was not easy. Just like GS getting RU to regular bowl games. A segment of the fan base felt that they deserved better despite being in a relatively minor conference and having relatively modest resources. That set the football program back to the point that, under Ash, we were non-competitive despite enhanced revenues from being in the B1G. I view regular Big Dance appearances as a new world for RU hoops. The ball with bounce in the right direction and we will beat more talented teams due to coaching and effort. Of that I'm confident if we continue on this course.

ADVERTISEMENT