ADVERTISEMENT

Griffiths

Sounds like a lock. Land him and get a true PG and a large body from JUCO to back up Cliff when Deans size is a matchup and we are rockin. I expect Caleb back but those things are unpredictable. Like it a lot from Pike, Papa Kante also rumored to want to play with Gavin in college but i currently view him as a Michigan lean.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
All signs point to the commitment tomorrow. Michigan is out of it.Huge get and hopefully he plays at least one year with Cliff.Perfect player for this system. Hopefully the Providence game will be a go also on a neutral site.
Interesting, do you think he may reclass to play a year with Cliff or will Cliff stay for his senior year? Cliff did say in a recent interview he wants to get his degree

giphy.gif

All signs point to the commitment tomorrow. Michigan is out of it.Huge get and hopefully he plays at least one year with Cliff.Perfect player for this system. Hopefully the Providence game will be a go also on a neutral site.
Awesome news! Let’s go RU.

Reactions: RUFantastic
Sounds like a lock. Land him and get a true PG and a large body from JUCO to back up Cliff when Deans size is a matchup and we are rockin. I expect Caleb back but those things are unpredictable. Like it a lot from Pike, Papa Kante also rumored to want to play with Gavin in college but i currently view him as a Michigan lean.
That would be in 23-24 ? Caleb will be gone barring injury

That would be in 23-24 ? Caleb will be gone barring injury

That was going to be my question.

So this is a current HS Junior (Senior in the fall)?
He wouldn't be at Rutgers until AFTER next season: 2023-2024?
This is why I don't follow recruiting.

@Plum Street whoops you are right. Apologies. Excited to land this guy and have caleb back despite them not playing on the team at the time.

That was going to be my question.

So this is a current HS Junior (Senior in the fall)?
He wouldn't be at Rutgers until AFTER next season: 2023-2024?
This is why I don't follow recruiting.
Yes. Looks like class of 23 . So he wouldn’t play with Caleb, barring Caleb has a bad injury this year and he’s out. And he might not play with Cliff, if Cliff has a big junior year.
Great get!

@RU72 You’re sources saying that’s a done deal/when? Also, the deal pushed with NIL influence?

People who paid money to get college players to play for their favorite teams are heroes?

I would agree. "Hero" is a strong word and I'm pro-NIL.

This is going to get interesting though - I wonder when the player backlash starts by fans.
For example - from the moment Caleb "declared" it was known he was likely undrafted with minimal at best NBA Draft prospects.
The only way he was staying in the draft was if he was done with college basketball entirely (such as Jaden Jones clearly is).

Has Caleb really been holding out this whole time just to garner up some NIL money?
What were his realistic alternatives?
If no NIL deal came through - was he really going to turn pro and go to Europe/G-League?
How soon do schools/fanbases start to call the player's bluff?

How long until players hold out?

Is it now acceptable to boo paid players for bad effort?
Wouldn’t worry too much about lack of effort. Pike has no tolerance for that and guys will be pulled off the court.

In the rare instance where a “star” player takes a play off and costs us points, then we may hear a smattering of boos if he stays on the court.

Maybe a bigger concern could be coaches (not Pike) who feel pressured to leave an under-performing player in the game to uphold or enhance their NIL exposure. Hope it doesn’t come to that.

Reactions: patk89
Gavin supposedly has a ton of drive to be great so I don't think effort and commitment will be a concern

He is announcing 3pm Thursday now

Reactions: DirtyRU
I would agree. "Hero" is a strong word and I'm pro-NIL.

This is going to get interesting though - I wonder when the player backlash starts by fans.
For example - from the moment Caleb "declared" it was known he was likely undrafted with minimal at best NBA Draft prospects.
The only way he was staying in the draft was if he was done with college basketball entirely (such as Jaden Jones clearly is).

Has Caleb really been holding out this whole time just to garner up some NIL money?
What were his realistic alternatives?
If no NIL deal came through - was he really going to turn pro and go to Europe/G-League?
How soon do schools/fanbases start to call the player's bluff?
What is the “bluff”? You think he was bluffing for better negotiation poistion for an NIL deal ? Seems unlikely.

Wish he could reclassify for this fall
It would help us avoid a big drop in
Play this year

What is the “bluff”? You think he was bluffing for better negotiation poistion for an NIL deal ? Seems unlikely.

See below. It states that NIL "helped" get Caleb back and withdraw from the NBA Draft.
Was there really a concern that Caleb was going to stay in the draft when it's almost a lock he goes undrafted?

Specifically my question is what if there was no NIL to "help" Caleb with his decision to return?
Would he still have stayed in the NBA Draft - or was he returning to Rutgers all along regardless of NIL.
If the Rutgers community said "sorry Caleb but there is no NIL for you", what does he do?

Jaden Jones for example, isn't bluffing. He declared for the draft, is almost a lock to go undrafted, but is staying in the Draft anyway. He's clearly done with college basketball - not even just Rutgers. He didn't even bother putting his name in the Transfer Portal as a hedge.

We will also get confirmation that Caleb is back and NIL has helped!Kudos to those who contribute to NIL or Rutgers. Those are the true heroes.

ADVERTISEMENT