ADVERTISEMENT

Griffiths

It's working for Wisconsin
you can always make comparisons to programs that succeed, but not in the conventional way

Fans have used Villanova, in the past, as an example of a team getting it done playing three guards and not the huge lineup

sometimes it is more the exception than the rule.....that said, I think Pike can get good success with high 3 star players, a four star sprinkled in.....maybe not Nova level

The problem with this board is that you're considered a negatoid if you don't think a double-digit seed and first weekend exit should be the absolute high-water mark for the program.

To someday get further, though, recruiting has to improve. That's just how it works. Griffiths is a great piece, knock on wood.

That’s a false argument. The negatoids seem to think we should be at Duke, Kansas, Nova level in year 6 of a massive rebuild (is it even a rebuild when you haven’t been relevant in nearly 4 decades). Many of them don’t even watch the games, just come on here to complain about Pike.

The problem with this board is that you're considered a negatoid if you don't think a double-digit seed and first weekend exit should be the absolute high-water mark for the program.

To someday get further, though, recruiting has to improve. That's just how it works. Griffiths is a great piece, knock on wood.
Straw man. No one thinks this

That’s a false argument. The negatoids seem to think we should be at Duke, Kansas, Nova level in year 6 of a massive rebuild (is it even a rebuild when you haven’t been relevant in nearly 4 decades). Many of them don’t even watch the games, just come on here to complain about Pike.
Exactly. People expecting dumpster fire to final 4 by now are living in a fantasy world

Pike is well ahead of schedule with what he has done so far by any reasonable expectations when he took over.

We were literally the absolute worst P5 program. A complete embarrassment

If Cliff can get paid NIL money it may change his decision maki

The high water mark is 3 straight tourney appearances including advancing to the field of 32 in one. Obviously the first never happened, so we don’t know how we would have done

If Cliff can get paid NIL money it may change his decision maki

The high water mark is 3 straight tourney appearances including advancing to the field of 32 in one. Obviously the first never happened, so we don’t know how we would have done
And our highest finish in B1G history

John made one of the biggest leaps between first and second year here, I think it was.....

I still think Milligan was also a non-starter.....I remember our recruiting class falling apart when Young took the team overseas and Maryland took a couple of verbals away
(JoJo Hunter, etc) ....I don't think JoJo amounted to much anyway..
It was between his second and third year that John Battle really came alive. I think Jojo Hunter would’ve had a decent career if he came here, and Billy Bryant was a pretty solid role player. Of course, neither was as big a loss as Hawkeye Whitney.

The replacements were Rodney Duncan and Todd Milligan. Everyone was pretty excited after Milligan‘s first game, which turned out to be by far the best of his career. It was kind of like Tenys in his first exhibition game. And then there was Rodney Duncan who tried to incite a mutiny.

Trying to remember, I think Milligan was not even a starter for his high school team, he was first off the bench

Could be wrong

I liked Duncan because he was a good set up player for James, and not the disappointment Milligan was

Duncan did not stick around long
No Todd Milligan and Nate Mullins were high school stars at Prep. I think both were 1000 or 1500 point scorers.

It was between his second and third year that John Battle really came alive. I think Jojo Hunter would’ve had a decent career if he came here, and Billy Bryant was a pretty solid role player. Of course, neither was as big a loss as Hawkeye Whitney.

The replacements were Rodney Duncan and Todd Milligan. Everyone was pretty excited after Milligan‘s first game, which turned out to be by far the best of his career. It was kind of like Tenys in his first exhibition game. And then there was Rodney Duncan who tried to incite a mutiny.
Duncan tossed those sweet alley oops to JB. TBC, What Duncan rebelled against would be considered intolerable today.

The negatoids seem to think we should be at Duke, Kansas,
Not me. I never ever said that or hinted at anything remotely close to that. Been around here longer than most, so I'm forever grateful at what Steve, Geo, Ron, Caleb et all have done here.

I just am not of the belief that we have don't have some work to do to rebuild the roster.

Last edited:
Duncan tossed those sweet alley oops to JB. TBC, What Duncan rebelled against would be considered intolerable today.
I think you read too much of the BV/CB back in the day.

Last edited:
I'm missing something. What did Rodney rebel against? I remember him leaving after a year or not even a year, but never knew why.

Let's say TY was what was known as a southern gentleman and there were words in his vernacular Rodney objected to and IIRC he either walked out or was kicked out of a practice.

• Wow
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Exactly. People expecting dumpster fire to final 4 by now are living in a fantasy world

Pike is well ahead of schedule with what he has done so far by any reasonable expectations when he took over.

And yet, if it were not for a complete meltdown in the last 8 minutes of the Houston game last year, we had a very good shot at the Final Four.

Embarrassment was the only thing we could count on the program for over the last 2 decades. That’s most of my adult life.

John Battle was my favorite player. Can't imagine if there was internet then some of you guys would write kid can't play . 2 points as a freshman and 3 years later in NBA.

• Love
Reactions: runrutgersrun
How does Griffths compare to the other kid we missed on and verbaled to Wisc a few weeks ago ?
Griffiths is a tall skinny long perimeter player who is an elite 3 point sniper, has handles and can drive. He's a wing

Gus was a thick big man who had perimeter skills but definitely a big man

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I have no idea how either will develop as college players, but based on how the game is changing, I would rather have Griffiths' skill set than a big man. Please let it be Rutgers when the commitment is announced, and let's see him suiting up for RU.

John Battle was my favorite player. Can't imagine if there was internet then some of you guys would write kid can't play . 2 points as a freshman and 3 years later in NBA.
I remember him capping off a big win against GW with a reverse dunk. Might be the most impressive physical feat that I've ever witnessed live. He was 6'2". Slamming it behind his head. Incredible vertical leap.

Reactions: shields and MURF87
I remember him capping off a big win against GW with a reverse dunk. Might be the most impressive physical feat that I've ever witnessed live. He was 6'2". Slamming it behind his head. Incredible vertical leap.
It always appeared to me that just when you thought you were seeing Battle at the top of his hop, he would just levitate even higher...lol

Reactions: LOU-RU85 and patk89
Teams are going to be spread way out when Gavin and Cam are on the court together

Not me. I never ever said that or hinted at anything remotely close to that. Been around here longer than most, so I'm forever grateful at what Steve, Geo, Ron, Caleb et all have done here.

I just am not of the belief that we have don't have some work to do to rebuild the roster.

That’s a fair criticism - though the problem got easier over the last 24 hours. There are definitely things that are fair game - like managing minutes and not being so reliant on the starters this year. We would have been a better team this year with Tez - and JY, though I suspect he was gone no matter what, as was Myles. The Jaden thing is perplexing, but it seems like college ball wasn’t for him and his goal was to get to a pay day - kind of has me thinking of the Jawan Jamison situation, but at least he was a starter with tape.

The reason people got so hot at those few people was the constant spamming of the board with their viewpoint. They took over every thread and made it about 18-13 records, not even making the tournament since it was the first 4 and not running an offense. People wouldn't care about the message if it wasn't thrown in everyone's faces day after day during a time when all Rutgers fans were hurting from losing. It was low class, trolling behavior that could have been presented in a better way.

What others are saying is there is more than one way to do this. Pike has a formula that works for his style of coaching, and Pike’s way is really working very well. Pike values players differently than you.

IMO, you will continue to be disappointed in Pike’s recruiting, even though the teams he constructs and develops will be top half of the B1G.
100% agree here. Pike recruits lunch pale type of players that do the little things to win games like dive for loose balls, play lights out defense and battle for rebounds

100% agree here. Pike recruits lunch pale type of players that do the little things to win games like dive for loose balls, play lights out defense and battle for rebounds
Unless there is mention of shooting ability the program will continue having difficulty winning tournament games.Pikiell has done a outstanding job in building a winning program.Recruiting players like Griffiths is what is needed to take the next step in being a top tier Big Ten basketball program.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
ADVERTISEMENT