ADVERTISEMENT

Growth by way of secret scrimmages

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Rutgers secret scrimmaged Yale every year until last year and don't get me wrong. They were very equal, except for one year. Last year it was Nova and UConn and by all accounts they were close and perhaps Rutgers won the 20 minute periods with starters only. They are good proving grounds, notwithstanding that Rutgers got off to a slow start in November. I am hearing that once again it will be some top flight Power 5 competition. No way a major Power 5 would have scrimmaged Rutgers in 2016 or 2017.

Just a hunch but looking at the big picture we used the early season to develop our bench. Remember we could not do that the year before so it was imperative to get guys other than our starters untracked. It may have cost us some games but now those guys have had a taste and hopefully it will pay off in the future.

Why are they "secret"?

Because we don't want to show anything to competitors or because they are against the rules?

Just a hunch but looking at the big picture we used the early season to develop our bench. Remember we could not do that the year before so it was imperative to get guys other than our starters untracked. It may have cost us some games but now those guys have had a taste and hopefully it will pay off in the future.
I don’t think pike was looking at the 2021 scrimmages as paying offf in the future

Reactions: RUJMM78
I don’t think pike was looking at the 2021 scrimmages as paying offf in the future
I was talking about the early season games. We didn’t have an OOC in 2020 so we lost a year of development. I thought he tightened the bench considerably when we went to the conference schedule in 2021. I could be wrong it just seemed that way.

Reactions: Scangg
We played our worst early in the season…. when Jaden Jones was in the regular rotation.

Just sayin’

Reactions: TRU2RU
We start slow and then get better it’s Pikes dna now. Not gonna matter who we scrimmage not a big deal imo.

Rutgers secret scrimmaged Yale every year until last year and don't get me wrong. They were very equal, except for one year. Last year it was Nova and UConn and by all accounts they were close and perhaps Rutgers won the 20 minute periods with starters only. They are good proving grounds, notwithstanding that Rutgers got off to a slow start in November. I am hearing that once again it will be some top flight Power 5 competition. No way a major Power 5 would have scrimmaged Rutgers in 2016 or 2017.
Maybe early season woes were from overconfidence from those scrimmages? Pre-season Nova was top 5 and Uconn was top 20-25. BUT - neither is P5 😀 😀😀

Seems like a great way to get ready for the season, too bad there aren't some secret videos to get leaked. I'd love to see Mulcahy outplay Gillespie or Cliff dunk on Sanogo - neither would surprise me but it would be cool to see.

ADVERTISEMENT