ADVERTISEMENT

Guesses on new OC that Schiano allegedly has in place

I always forget how they’re have never been OC’s or DC’s ego moved from the FCS - or lower - up to the BCS and been successful.

This would be a steal IMHO and, apparently, wifey isn’t a big fan of Stillwater.
I'm sure that plenty of coordinators coming from lower tier programs have succeeded. Just like plenty don't succeed, right?

The thing here is that the OC position is critical. You think Schiano is going to be as hands off w/Gleeson as he would be with someone older and more experienced?

Can you deny that someone with years of experience at the P5 level, who has demonstrated an ability to score a ton of points in games where they were significant underdogs would be less risky? And that we have the budget to not take risks with this hire?

are you kidding me? Okie state leads the country in plays over 50 yards. They scored under 20 points exactly once this season....against Oklahoma. And they still had over 300 yards of offense. 33 points a game. Hes young, from NJ. This would be not just a home run, but a grand slam.
Doesn't this beg the question of why leave OK St. and an established P5 program with money for Rutgers, which many here would say is penny wise, pound foolish? Seems like it would be a step back for him. I get the Ms. may not be happy in Stillwater, but if Penn St. OC opens up that would be a more fitting landing spot in terms of a step up or at least no more than a lateral move. Don't get me wrong, would like to see him here, but just wondering how this would get done.

Doesn't this beg the question of why leave OK St. and an established P5 program with money for Rutgers, which many here would say is penny wise, pound foolish? Seems like it would be a step back for him. I get the Ms. may not be happy in Stillwater, but if Penn St. OC opens up that would be a more fitting landing spot in terms of a step up or at least no more than a lateral move. Don't get me wrong, would like to see him here, but just wondering how this would get done.

Mike Gundy plays a huge role in the offense at OSU. Gleeson comes to RU and he is running the show.

The likelihood of McNulty coming back is slim.
It would make terrible PR for the program that already looked foolish in the Schiano return mess.
Adding taking back someone the RU AD recently fired would make Hobbs look like a total incompetent, when it comes to football, and the HC trying to make him look that way.

I personally feel hiring John back would put a permanent wedge between Hobbs and Schiano's relationship , along with being a very petty move by Greg.
With the money available to pay the OC , Schiano will be able to find someone that can run the offense just as well or better than John ( in my opinion)

Maybe we now have a coach that coordinators want to work with. He's a NJ native, we have a pretty large assistant coach money pool, we might be able to pay him MORE. Stillwater is in the middle of nowhere.

The likelihood of McNulty coming back is slim.
It would make terrible PR for the program that already looked foolish in the Schiano return mess.
Adding taking back someone the RU AD recently fired would make Hobbs look like a total incompetent, when it comes to football, and the HC trying to make him look that way.

I personally feel hiring John back would put a permanent wedge between Hobbs and Schiano's relationship , along with being a very petty move by Greg.
With the money available to pay the OC , Schiano will be able to find someone that can run the offense just as well or better than John ( in my opinion)
I would think any talk of McNulty returning is a joke. For him its only downside. I think he is done with Rutgers and vice versa.

I'm sure that plenty of coordinators coming from lower tier programs have succeeded. Just like plenty don't succeed, right?

The thing here is that the OC position is critical. You think Schiano is going to be as hands off w/Gleeson as he would be with someone older and more experienced?

Can you deny that someone with years of experience at the P5 level, who has demonstrated an ability to score a ton of points in games where they were significant underdogs would be less risky? And that we have the budget to not take risks with this hire?

So list the names of these guys and PLEASE don’t say “John McNulty.”

well I think there are a few factors. Oklahoma state may have money but they aren't throwing it at Gleason. He's making about 500K or so, I believe with our budget we could pry him away.

Let's also not lose sight of Okie state. How is that job more stable than ours? We just hired Greg, who is gonna be here for a long time and wants his OC to do the same, plus it's in NJ. This opportunity does not come up often. I would think Gleason and the Mrs would jump on that for a raise to boot.

Reactions: NealPageNJ
So list the names of these guys and PLEASE don’t say “John McNulty.”
I don't have names. It's not my job to find them. It's Schiano's job.

Not being an expert on which OC's are out there doesn't mean they aren't out there. Nor does it mean the criteria I'm putting out for an OC isn't good criteria.

If the OC is already agreed on, I figure it's Canada. He's not on any staff right now, while Gleeson probably has to do bowl prep, let alone recruiting. Either would be fine with me. I'm sure there are other OC's recently let go, but I'd rather go with one of the above.

are you kidding me? Okie state leads the country in plays over 50 yards. They scored under 20 points exactly once this season....against Oklahoma. And they still had over 300 yards of offense. 33 points a game. Hes young, from NJ. This would be not just a home run, but a grand slam.
Sounds good, however the Big 12 has a reputation of not playing defense. So how would he be against the B1G defenses.
My choice is Matt Canada but that probably isn't happening. The guy who will probably get the job is Kevin Wilson and we'll have to wait weeks for him.

I am kind of hoping for someone with more big-time experience. He has exactly one year of it (I don't consider Princeton or Fairleigh Dickinson-Florham big-time). Not saying he's awful, and maybe his youth is a good thing, from a recruiting standpoint, considering Schiano ain't exactly a spring chicken anymore.

I guess I would really like to see an OC who has repeatedly demonstrated an ability to score tons of points from the position of a significant underdog. And looking at the OK State schedule and results for 2019, I didn't see that (plus it was only 1 year which isn't enough data to confidently extrapolate).

The offensive position coaches can always bring the youth and NJ personality to the recruiting effort. An old hand might be better able to free Schiano up to focus on the D as well as executive oversight and recruiting.
"free Schiano up to focus on the D as well as executive oversight and recruiting". If GS does anything other than this, regardless of who is hired as OC, this 2nd go around will be a dissapointment.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Long shot but I would love to see a man that beat us to a pulp in 2009. Jeff Quinn had an amazing offense under Brian Kelly. He failed pretty miserably after one good year at Buffalo. He's just an OL coach at Notre Dame now.

This Gleeson knows about being offensive
maxresdefault.jpg

"free Schiano up to focus on the D as well as executive oversight and recruiting". If GS does anything other than this, regardless of who is hired as OC, this 2nd go around will be a dissapointment.
I think that's probably true. I was just trying to put it diplomatically. You know me, always trying not to offend. :WideSmile:

I'm a Gleeson man ! Those Irish OC's know how to light it up. Also I would surmise that maybe Mrs. Gleeson is not too happy living in Okie and just might want to come back to NJ, a hefty pay raise for Sean would certainly help things along.

Nothing is more important than Schiano's choice of OC. He should hire an OC that is a better pure football coach than himself. A proven offensive genius who already knows how to do more with less.

It is in this hire that we will get our first glimpse into how well Schiano can recruit assistant talent. Can he bring in a big-time experienced OC? He has the budget to do so. There's no excuse not to get a truly epic, experienced OC.

Bring in a great OC and he can cheap out a little with the DC job and focus more attention on that aspect of game day planning and execution.

And please no, not McNulty. Far as I'm concerned, Nunzio did a better job of running the offense than McNulty did, and he did so without some key weapons McNulty had.
I agree no mcnulty-- also maybe some baggage there

I think the only thing that offering Gleeson does is get him a raise and he stays a cowboy. He got his 4 star QB to commit and is an up and coming star. Probably has aspirations of another year or two at OC followed by a head coaching gig. I think it would take something more then a lateral move to a rebuilding program to get him to move.

Gleeson has a lot of buzz and is seen as one of a handful of OC innovators. NJ ties. Would be a home run for sure. Would he come here? We can offer a LOT more money (sounds good saying that!), he likes NJ, and Rutgers can offer stability which is a big deal for a college assistant coach, many of whom move from place to place every 2-3 years.

Reactions: BobRU2000
I think the only thing that offering Gleeson does is get him a raise and he stays a cowboy. He got his 4 star QB to commit and is an up and coming star. Probably has aspirations of another year or two at OC followed by a head coaching gig. I think it would take something more then a lateral move to a rebuilding program to get him to move.

Very strong feeling it is Gleeson. What would get him here? The chance to run the offense at the State University of N.J. for a very good paycheck. It is home for him and more importantly his wife and young family. Home is home.

I am kind of hoping for someone with more big-time experience. He has exactly one year of it (I don't consider Princeton or Fairleigh Dickinson-Florham big-time). Not saying he's awful, and maybe his youth is a good thing, from a recruiting standpoint, considering Schiano ain't exactly a spring chicken anymore.

I guess I would really like to see an OC who has repeatedly demonstrated an ability to score tons of points from the position of a significant underdog. And looking at the OK State schedule and results for 2019, I didn't see that (plus it was only 1 year which isn't enough data to confidently extrapolate).

The offensive position coaches can always bring the youth and NJ personality to the recruiting effort. An old hand might be better able to free Schiano up to focus on the D as well as executive oversight and recruiting.

Like who?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT