ADVERTISEMENT

GW's Lonergan: We Dodged a Bullet

Wow. In our situation, it's more akin to dodging a nuclear missile.
True. I kind of hope that he pulled his name from consideration before the vetting was finalized. Otherwise, Hobbs has some questions to both ask and answer.

The parallels to the Mike Rice situation are chilling. One of the critical missing elements for GW is that there is no douchebag parasite trying to score a payday on the situation as of yet. Are GW's practice tapes subject to a Freedom of Information request?

The parallels to the Mike Rice situation are chilling. One of the critical missing elements for GW is that there is no douchebag parasite trying to score a payday on the situation as of yet. Are GW's practice tapes subject to a Freedom of Information request?
And I assume GW does not have a gutless President that is anti-athletics.

He doesn't have to answer anything. He didn't hire him.
We spent money on a search firm that seemingly didn't unearth anything. And he very well could have been offered the job if he didn't pull himself out on his own. He doesn't owe me, you or the media answers, but people at the school will be asking him about this and deservedly so, IMO, to make sure a similar mistake isn't made with another hiring in the program.

We spent money on a search firm that seemingly didn't unearth anything. And he very well could have been offered the job if he didn't pull himself out on his own. He doesn't owe me, you or the media answers, but people at the school will be asking him about this and deservedly so, IMO, to make sure a similar mistake isn't made with another hiring in the program.
He probably withdrew because he knew he wasn't getting the job.

Reactions: winRU
Wow. He was the coach I wanted the most, too.

It'll get brushed under the rug, like it would at most schools. At Rutgers, of course, it's a sh*tstorm.

I'm not making any issue. Hobbs is a smart guy. I'm sure he wants to know how he almost made a huge mistake.

I'm not following you here.

I'm not sure why Hobbs has to answer questions from the community or university administration. He considered Lonergan, but didn't hire him.

I could see Hobbs having questions for the search firm, if the search firm did not indicate to Hobbs that Lonergan had been investigated for how he treated players. But you have no idea what the search firm told Hobbs. The search firm very well could have informed Hobbs about Lonergan's behavior and the investigation. Maybe that's why Hobb didn't hire Lonergan. Then there are no questions to ask or answer. Everything worked as it was supposed to.

I'm not following you here.

I'm not sure why Hobbs has to answer questions from the community or university administration. He considered Lonergan, but didn't hire him.

I could see Hobbs having questions for the search firm, if the search firm did not indicate to Hobbs that Lonergan had been investigated for how he treated players. But you have no idea what the search firm told Hobbs. The search firm very well could have informed Hobbs about Lonergan's behavior and the investigation. Maybe that's why Hobb didn't hire Lonergan. Then there are no questions to ask or answer. Everything worked as it was supposed to.

The point is, IF the search committee didn't find out about these things, then they didn't do a good job and that should be noted for future searches. Its not a huge deal, but if this guy was considered without knowing these allegations than the committee didn't do its due diligence, that's problematic. And if he was considered WITH knowledge of these accusations, and given our history, that is even worse.

Did you read the article? This wasn't about yelling and criticism.
I don't think they're transferring because of insults to the AD (and that doesn't seem like so many transfers)
. I had a great a HS freshman coach. First practice, "okay, you idiots take off your socks and sneakers. I will demonstrate the right way to put them on. You will do it my way every time you dress to play for me. You know nothing. You must do things my way. It might not be the best way but it is a million times better than your way. " If Lattrell Speedwell could appreciate that he wouldn't be a broke mofo right now.

Lonegan is emotional....saw him when GW played Monmouth in NIT and Lonegan was going nuts at times with refs.....

I thought highly of him during our recent search and was hoping he would be interested. We dodged a bullet here whether the accusations are legit or not.

Is this amazing or what ? And yes, I did think highly of him as we were searching for a coach to replace EJ.

The point is, IF the search committee didn't find out about these things, then they didn't do a good job and that should be noted for future searches. Its not a huge deal, but if this guy was considered without knowing these allegations than the committee didn't do its due diligence, that's problematic. And if he was considered WITH knowledge of these accusations, and given our history, that is even worse.

and if I had wheels, I'd be a wagon.

I don't think they're transferring because of insults to the AD (and that doesn't seem like so many transfers)
. I had a great a HS freshman coach. First practice, "okay, you idiots take off your socks and sneakers. I will demonstrate the right way to put them on. You will do it my way every time you dress to play for me. You know nothing. You must do things my way. It might not be the best way but it is a million times better than your way. " If Lattrell Speedwell could appreciate that he wouldn't be a broke mofo right now.

Wooden did the same thing with the sneaker lacing schtick.

Lonergan is skeevy and creepy as hell. When the players talk about avoiding any one-on-one contact with him because of the things that come out of his mouth, that goes beyond just yelling at them on the court. Can totally understand not wanting to spend four years in that environment.

And then you read Isiah Armwoods comments supporting Lonergan and you wonder if some of this is just old school coaching that some of today's kids will not tolerate.

Just to keep this in perspective, at any given time on a college team half the guys hate the coach. Players that can't take yelling and criticism are an embarrassment to the sport.

I agree. Here is what I know about Lonergan and some points in the article:
  1. The majority of his transfers were guys who played for Karl Hobbs (GWs HC prior to Lonergan). This happens everywhere when coaching changes happen
  2. I know this for a fact. Prior to Kethan Savage transferring to Butler he met with Lonergan and said he wanted to "play PG, the position he was going to play in the NBA". Now Savage is a good player but he was not starting at GW at PG over Joe McDonald. Just wasn't. Players don't have realistic views of their own abilities
  3. Lonergan is a tough HC to play for
  4. Lonergan is quirky and has no filter. Anyone who has had the opportunity to have a conversation or knows him will walk away oft times with a thought like "what the f--k was that"
  5. I hate articles like this with "anonymous sources". Total bullspit. John Feinstein once told me he has had numerous guys walk up to him and say "Coach X cheats". Feinstein always says "go on the record with that" to which the reply is always "well I can't do that". Either you are on the record or not. There are no reprisals here for the guys no longer playing college hoops. Chicken s--t stuff and I hate it. Go on record.
  6. Lonergan coached under Gary Williams. He aint easy to play for.
  7. Lonergan and Nero (GW AD) arent friends
I like Lonergan. I hate anonymous sources for articles like this. Some of the stuff in the article is tough to read I admit.

I agree. Here is what I know about Lonergan and some points in the article:
  1. The majority of his transfers were guys who played for Karl Hobbs (GWs HC prior to Lonergan). This happens everywhere when coaching changes happen
  2. I know this for a fact. Prior to Kethan Savage transferring to Butler he met with Lonergan and said he wanted to "play PG, the position he was going to play in the NBA". Now Savage is a good player but he was not starting at GW at PG over Joe McDonald. Just wasn't. Players don't have realistic views of their own abilities
  3. Lonergan is a tough HC to play for
  4. Lonergan is quirky and has no filter. Anyone who has had the opportunity to have a conversation or knows him will walk away oft times with a thought like "what the f--k was that"
  5. I hate articles like this with "anonymous sources". Total bullspit. John Feinstein once told me he has had numerous guys walk up to him and say "Coach X cheats". Feinstein always says "go on the record with that" to which the reply is always "well I can't do that". Either you are on the record or not. There are no reprisals here for the guys no longer playing college hoops. Chicken s--t stuff and I hate it. Go on record.
  6. Lonergan coached under Gary Williams. He aint easy to play for.
  7. Lonergan and Nero (GW AD) arent friends
I like Lonergan. I hate anonymous sources for articles like this. Some of the stuff in the article is tough to read I admit.

1. The article did state that there is only one player left from Lonergan's five person class from two years ago. That is pretty significant.

I'm not making any issue. Hobbs is a smart guy. I'm sure he wants to know how he almost made a huge mistake.

For all we know, Hobbs uncovered a red flag about Lonergan's questionable behavior in his due diligence and that's why the 2 sides parted. But, this is all meaningless rank speculation. Nothing here reflects poorly on Hobbs IMHO.

1. The article did state that there is only one player left from Lonergan's five person class from two years ago. That is pretty significant.

Matt Cimino transferred to American after playing three games for 12 minutes total as a Soph.
Anthony Swan averaged three minutes and under 1 ppg as a Soph.
Darian Bryant transferred to Delaware, the school he was down to with GW after HS. Played 5 minutes per as a Freshman.
Paul Jurgenson transferred to Butler.

Cimino and Swan actually had solid offers out of HS and just didn't seem to pan out and transferred a level down. Bryant was a reach from the start. Jurgenson was also a reach, but actually turned out to be the 2nd best recruit in the class behind Watanabe who has stayed.

Not saying tho isnt significant but from those facts did they transfer because of Lonergan or because they didn't/couldnt play at GWs level?

Look I know and like Lonergan. I am going to defend the guy. But I don't like the article and think you could do a hatchet job like that, with anonymous sources, on a whole bunch of D-1 CBB HCs.

Just glad he wasn't hired by Rutgers, innocent or not, the local press would have crucified RU for hiring him after article came out and found fault with everything he did.
Lonergan and RU would be forced to defend every thing they did and have to put up with the rumors about things that they didn't do.
No matter what Lonergan brought to the program, the type of coverage he would be getting would negate those things

Matt Cimino transferred to American after playing three games for 12 minutes total as a Soph.
Anthony Swan averaged three minutes and under 1 ppg as a Soph.
Darian Bryant transferred to Delaware, the school he was down to with GW after HS. Played 5 minutes per as a Freshman.
Paul Jurgenson transferred to Butler.

Cimino and Swan actually had solid offers out of HS and just didn't seem to pan out and transferred a level down. Bryant was a reach from the start. Jurgenson was also a reach, but actually turned out to be the 2nd best recruit in the class behind Watanabe who has stayed.

Not saying tho isnt significant but from those facts did they transfer because of Lonergan or because they didn't/couldnt play at GWs level?

Look I know and like Lonergan. I am going to defend the guy. But I don't like the article and think you could do a hatchet job like that, with anonymous sources, on a whole bunch of D-1 CBB HCs.
How do you know so much about GDub? Are you a fan? Connected? Do you know previous staffs and players or just Lonergan? Just curious.

Pikiell was the right guy for our team. He seems like a great guy and is staff is certainly qualified. This might take time but I think we will definitely see improvements in the team this coming season. Hopefully we can stay healthy. We deserve it after the bad luck we lived through this past season. With Doorson, Diallo and Freeman all almost missing the entire season and Lauent missing several games as well we often had almost no height in a game.

How do you know so much about GDub? Are you a fan? Connected? Do you know previous staffs and players or just Lonergan? Just curious.

When I moved here i bought a house across the street from John Feinstein. Became kind of friendly with him. My wife's grandfather was one of Red Auerbachs buddies who attended the lunches Feinstein wrote about in "Let me tell you a story." So two paths to Red, with John and my wife's GF, got me a couple invites to the lunch. I love college hoops, Red went to GW and a couple GW guys used to go the lunch, struck up a bunch of conversations, and got to go to a bunch of GW games.

Thru all that i was also able to get to know a bunch of guys down here in hoops.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyRU
When I moved here i bought a house across the street from John Feinstein. Became kind of friendly with him. My wife's grandfather was one of Red Auerbachs buddies who attended the lunches Feinstein wrote about in "Let me tell you a story." So two paths to Red, with John and my wife's GF, got me a couple invites to the lunch. I love college hoops, Red went to GW and a couple GW guys used to go the lunch, struck up a bunch of conversations, and got to go to a bunch of GW games.

Thru all that i was also able to get to know a bunch of guys down here in hoops.
VERY cool. Was just curious... pre-RU I was a huge Colonials fan. My brother (non-athlete) was in the same incoming freshman class as Yinka Dare in I believe '92 or '93. That is the team that lost to the Fab Five in the Sweet 16 but after that season I was hooked. Jarvis had some great squads and A10 hoops were awesome back then with Cal at UMass, JC at Temple, etc. Even Rhody was good back then and Joe's had a run or two. I continued to be a fan during the Alexander Koul Shawnta Rogers days until my frosh year at RU in '95. At that point the shift occurred and I haven't looked back, although I will always have a soft spot for them. Some real memorable times spent down at the Smith Center. Great place to watch college hoops.

Reactions: RutgHoops
VERY cool. Was just curious... pre-RU I was a huge Colonials fan. My brother (non-athlete) was in the same incoming freshman class as Yinka Dare in I believe '92 or '93. That is the team that lost to the Fab Five in the Sweet 16 but after that season I was hooked. Jarvis had some great squads and A10 hoops were awesome back then with Cal at UMass, JC at Temple, etc. Even Rhody was good back then and Joe's had a run or two. I continued to be a fan during the Alexander Koul Shawnta Rogers days until my frosh year at RU in '95. At that point the shift occurred and I haven't looked back, although I will always have a soft spot for them. Some real memorable times spent down at the Smith Center. Great place to watch college hoops.

Grew up in Livingston. Bunch of buddies from home (and my HS girlfriend) went to GW during that Yinka era. Remember watching a Jarvis coached, Yinka GW team playing an NCAA tournament game against (I believe) Michigan in a bar in Jersey.

This was well before my current DC connections, but I started with a fondness for/knowledge of GW. I knew enough about them (like you) that when I got to go to the lunch I knew more than just the Celtics and Season on the Brink. Made me a better guest. Hopefully RU keeps up a series with GW.

Reactions: DirtyRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT