ADVERTISEMENT

Had a Nice Chat with Pike Last Night

Hoopcat

Redshirt
Feb 6, 2002
I was at the Hamilton Park Summer League in Jersey City watching Westfield play Gill at 7:00 PM. I look to my left and there's Pike (by himself) leaning against a tree maybe 5 feet away. I walked over and reminded him of the other time we'd met, when his son was playing for Ridge in a Fall League game in Elizabeth 3 yrs ago. He has a son playing at Gill now and was there to watch him so we talked about Mergin (Gill Coach) and how my son, now a D-III player, had played AAU for Mergin for a couple years. Then we moved on to old school Big East/UCONN Hoops. He got a kick outta the fact that I remembered Corny Thompson. Not surprisingly, he got spotted by others pretty quickly and it sort of became a mini-parade of well wishers. I stepped aside when the first of these guys came up and interrupted us. No surprise.

I was at the Hamilton Park Summer League in Jersey City watching Westfield play Gill at 7:00 PM. I look to my left and there's Pike (by himself) leaning against a tree maybe 5 feet away. I walked over and reminded him of the other time we'd met, when his son was playing for Ridge in a Fall League game in Elizabeth 3 yrs ago. He has a son playing at Gill now and was there to watch him so we talked about Mergin (Gill Coach) and how my son, now a D-III player, had played AAU for Mergin for a couple years. Then we moved on to old school Big East/UCONN Hoops. He got a kick outta the fact that I remembered Corny Thompson. Not surprisingly, he got spotted by others pretty quickly and it sort of became a mini-parade of well wishers. I stepped aside when the first of these guys came up and interrupted us. No surprise.
Hah! I remember Corny Thompson. I also remember a decent player for them back then named Jeff Abromitis (sp?) Don't forget Sly Williams at Rhode Island...

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Hah! I remember Corny Thompson. I also remember a decent player for them back then named Jeff Abromitis (sp?) Don't forget Sly Williams at Rhode Island...
A little later than Sly, in 88, but who can forget that URI team that upset Syracuse in the NCAAs, 97-94? What a game. I was a huge A-10 fan and they were led by Tom Garrick, Carlton Owens, and Kenny Green. I believe Garrick’s dad was blind and became kind of a celebrity in the stands. Our own Earl Duncan missed a shot at the buzzer that would have tied it.

A little later than Sly, in 88, but who can forget that URI team that upset Syracuse in the NCAAs, 97-94? What a game. I was a huge A-10 fan and they were led by Tom Garrick, Carlton Owens, and Kenny Green. I believe Garrick’s dad was blind and became kind of a celebrity in the stands. Our own Earl Duncan missed a shot at the buzzer that would have tied it.
I remember that team - they were really good. I think Kenny Green was an underclassmen on that team so he had more years to torment us in the A-10.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
ADVERTISEMENT