ADVERTISEMENT

Hall of fame?

Could be. I think when all is said and done Devin McCourty may give him a run.

Paul Robeson, Ray Rice, Deron Cherry, Gary Brackett, Brian Leonard, Alex Kroll, JJ Jennings, Nate Toran, Marco Battaglia, Dino Mangiero, Frank Burns.

Paul Robeson, Ray Rice, Deron Cherry, Gary Brackett, Brian Leonard, Alex Kroll, JJ Jennings, Nate Toran, Marco Battaglia, Dino Mangiero, Frank Burns.

Homer Hazel (first 2-time All American at two different positions)
Billy Austin (highest ever Heisman finish for RU (6th) )
Bill Pickel (Super Bowl, 1985 NFL All Pro Selection)

Deron Cherry is in the Rutgers Hall of Fame as a punter and safety; the New Jersey Sports Hall of Fame and the Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame as a free safety making the Pro Bowl every year from 1983-88 during his 1980-91 NFL career. A section in Arrowhead Stadium is named in his honor.

Homer Hazel (first 2-time All American at two different positions)
Billy Austin (highest ever Heisman finish for RU (6th) )
Bill Pickel (Super Bowl, 1985 NFL All Pro Selection)

Deron Cherry is in the Rutgers Hall of Fame as a punter and safety; the New Jersey Sports Hall of Fame and the Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame as a free safety making the Pro Bowl every year from 1983-88 during his 1980-91 NFL career. A section in Arrowhead Stadium is named in his honor.
But yet, he's not, in the Hall of Fame!

I have been watching Rutgers Football since 1980, avidly. I only care about what these players did at Rutgers. Not post Rutgers, I wish them well but just not important to me. So for me I'am looking at who was Hall of Fame while at RU. And for 4 years week in and week out Brian Lenord is the most impactful best college football player to ever play at Rutgers
Not even close! Or at least since 1980

Reactions: JoeRU
I have been watching Rutgers Football since 1980, avidly. I only care about what these players did at Rutgers. Not post Rutgers, I wish them well but just not important to me. So for me I'am looking at who was Hall of Fame while at RU. And for 4 years week in and week out Brian Lenord is the most impactful best college football player to ever play at Rutgers
Not even close! Or at least since 1980
Yes I agree, but I'm talking NFL!!

Reactions: socaldave
If you're talking NFL only, Deron had a great career and probably #1. Devin McCourty is getting there (he's certainly the richest). Others who had long, successful careers are Jay Bellamy and one who's always forgotten in Bill Pellington of the Colts in the 50's-60's. As someone mentioned, Harry Swayne was a long time starter and played in multiple Super Bowls. Shaun O'Hara too. Ray Rice should be in the discussion. Mangiero, Pickel, and Stowe's careers were cut too short to be considered. Logan Ryan still may have his best in front of him.

The guy who I thought would have a long successful career is Kenny Britt. He has all the tools other than anything between his ears.

Ahhh yes... Bill Pellington:

Bill Pellington went undrafted from Rutgers and was then cut by the Cleveland Browns before making the Baltimore Colts for his entire career from 1953-1964. He was the defensive captain of the 1958 NFL Champion Baltimore Colts when they defeated the New York Giants 23-17 in the first sudden death NFL Championship game (“Ameche scores!”) on December 28, 1958. The following season the same teams were matched up again on December 27, 1959 and again, the Baltimore Colts defeated the New York Giants 31-16. In Pellington’s final season, the Baltimore Colts lost the 1964 NFL Championship game to the Cleveland Browns 27-0 on December 27, 1964.

The January 7, 1960 Targum commented about the Baltimore Colts’ 31-16 championship victory over the Giants, “… while their tormentors hustled back to their own defensive huddle to receive instruction from their defensive captain, Bill Pellington, 1952 Rutgers grad, called a basic 4-3-4 and resumed his position as corner linebacker. He played guard, tackle, end and defensive linebacker at Rutgers.” The year before, Pellington was also the defensive leader in the famed overtime Colts victory over the Giants, a televised battle that was a cornerstone to the NFL’s future popularity. He and Gino Marchetti were named Baltimore Colts player-coaches on January 8, 1963 by new coach Don Shula.

http://coltscards.net/images/memorabilia/watermarks/0/63/250/6399_1_250x250.jpg

NFL....Deron, College Football....Bill Austin. Both are ĺong overdue for recognition. For Bill Austin not to be in the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame is a travesty. Rutgers never made an appropriate big push for this when he was eligible. Now he has to go thru the veterans committee which is for players who.are 50+ years since their college graduation year.

And sadly the NFL has seen fit to select Billy Cannon for it's HOF. Billy has a great record...jailed time twice for passing bad checks and counterfeiting. True HOF credentials by the SEC group.

Leonard was special but how can you say he was the best player in RU history when RR was on the field with him at the same time and was clearly the more athletic and productive player. All that talent and no BCS bowl. Sad.

Reactions: RU fan forever

Man, we need to have another special Deron Cherry honor at a game one of these days.

NFL....Deron, College Football....Bill Austin. Both are ĺong overdue for recognition. For Bill Austin not to be in the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame is a travesty. Rutgers never made an appropriate big push for this when he was eligible. Now he has to go thru the veterans committee which is for players who.are 50+ years since their college graduation year.

And sadly the NFL has seen fit to select Billy Cannon for it's HOF. Billy has a great record...jailed time twice for passing bad checks and counterfeiting. True HOF credentials by the SEC group.
Lest we forget, any such award fo Bill Austin would have to be awarded posthumously. R U still needs to do more to honor this all time great.

RU guys in the College Football Hall of Fame are Harvey Harman, Homer Hazel, Alex Kroll, Paul Robeson, and George Sanford.

Harman and Sanford are coaches and the others are players. George Little, Rutgers first bona fide athletic director, is also in the College Football Hall of Fame but for his head coaching duties at schools before Rutgers. Homer Hazel was part of the inaugural class voted into the Hall in 1951.

Lest we forget, any such award fo Bill Austin would have to be awarded posthumously. R U still needs to do more to honor this all time great.
Billy Austin should be there too. All American, All East and 2 time Honorable Mention All American in lacrosse. Could run, pass and punt, Mr. Everything for RU. Played in the North - South All-Star Game as a senior. I saw him play against Columbia with a cast on his hand and scored 4 TDs ! Too bad he wasn't 2 years behind for the 1961 undefeated team. Great player and a better person.

Reactions: RU fan forever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT