ADVERTISEMENT

Happy National Pizza Day!

Genteel's in Montgomery/Skillman across from Shoprite. Also, Joe's in Hillsborough does an awesome Brooklyn Thin Sicilian.

I make the drive to Alfonsos in Somerville even though it can take 20 minutes and there a 100 closer places to go. Sausage Pizza is incredible...the taste of the mozzerella there is just out of this world. Im assuming that another pizza joint is coming to the Pike Run shopping center..lol

I think its like Halal pizza and stuff like that now
Skinny' was my go to in college mainly because I lived in rentals on Ray and Morrell. Mushroom calzone and Tuesday night Knicks after Prof. Adas' World War I history class. I went there a couple of years ago and the pizza was still good, but it was weird, they divided the shop into half pizza place and half sushi place. Sorta reminded me of the old Bucky's concept in Finderne: Chinese and Italian.

We're well aligned on pizza. Love Spirito's, Nancy's Towne House in RY (absolutely the thinnest crust ever), and Sciortino's, which is my son's favorite and maybe my 2nd favorite after Star Tavern in Orange. We live in Metuchen, but no great pizza in town - good pizza, but not great. Best IMO, close by is Menlo Pizza, right by the mall on Rt. 1, with Highland Pizza being a close 2nd. Michellino's in Rahway is also very good for "standard" pizza. Oh one more, if you like tomato pies - Brooklyn Boys in Edison is quite good.

Had a slice from a brick oven place in metuchen a few months back on the main drag there. Near menlo I like Anthony’s. It’s a chain though and I know some people don’t approve . But tasy coal fired pizza and wings.
Nunzio’s Sayreville another good spot and has very good food and byob.

Ah you rotten bastards. Enjoy the snow.:angry:

New Brunswick has a dearth of good pizza IMHO especially compared to the surrounding towns. You would think there would be tons of killer pizza given RU being ther but its not a great pizza town.

Back in the day Theresa's was very good. Coffaros, TaTas, Campus, they all sucked. Campus was great after coming out of the Knight Club though. Filippo's on George is the best but they didn't deIiver used to love Church St Trattoria but they are long gone. I've never tried Panicos. Last time I was in NJ for the Purdue game I did try Crispy pizza at the Yard, that I must say was damn good.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
An old friend of mine VINNIE ,who was not really skinny, used to refer to himself in that manner.(Wow a poem without trying.)
Pizza tends to make your clothes shrink. Greatest name for a pizza joint. Sounds like an inside joke to me. The real Vinnie probably resembles your friend.

I make the drive to Alfonsos in Somerville even though it can take 20 minutes and there a 100 closer places to go. Sausage Pizza is incredible...the taste of the mozzerella there is just out of this world. Im assuming that another pizza joint is coming to the Pike Run shopping center..lol
Try Genteel's in the Village Shopper III building.....where the MooYah is. Amazing pizza and also really good pasta. We went for the first time 2 years ago, were blown away and left feeling stupid for taking so long to try it! You are seeing the last burst of retail development in Monty. The building on the other side of Belle Mead-Griggs will likely have a pasta/pizza joint from the owner of Caffe Piazza in Hillsborough. That can be pretty good. But the big town news is that the Monty Promenade is fully approved and full steam ahead. Frank Theaters and LL Bean are signed and public. A third anchor is signed but won't be announce for a while (for a hint, it's Bezos' favorite grocery store). And finally, Village Shopper I and II will be torn down and rebuild (to make them look like VS III). The drive-thru Starbucks is going in there. Good times! :)

Try Genteel's in the Village Shopper III building.....where the MooYah is. Amazing pizza and also really good pasta. We went for the first time 2 years ago, were blown away and left feeling stupid for taking so long to try it! You are seeing the last burst of retail development in Monty. The building on the other side of Belle Mead-Griggs will likely have a pasta/pizza joint from the owner of Caffe Piazza in Hillsborough. That can be pretty good. But the big town news is that the Monty Promenade is fully approved and full steam ahead. Frank Theaters and LL Bean are signed and public. A third anchor is signed but won't be announce for a while (for a hint, it's Bezos' favorite grocery store). And finally, Village Shopper I and II will be torn down and rebuild (to make them look like VS III). The drive-thru Starbucks is going in there. Good times! :)

I will have to give it a try...how does Moo Yah stay in business...its in such a big space and never looks crowded. Good news but worried about the traffic. Thanks for the update

Discuss

NYPizzaPie.jpg

Crust too thick. Next.

Reactions: T2Kplus10

Alfonso's is not quite top tier to me, but very good. Awesome garlic bread, too. Have a good friend who lives less than a block from there.

I will have to give it a try...how does Moo Yah stay in business...its in such a big space and never looks crowded. Good news but worried about the traffic. Thanks for the update
Yeah, crowds are inconsistent, but I brought my daughter there last Saturday night after a school event and the place was packed. Almost didn't have a spot to sit.

FYI, 4 loops roads are being built around the 206/518 intersection and will significantly improve the traffic (even with the new stores). But remember, the Promenade will have an entrance via 518.....just go that way and avoid 206 completely.

I love tomao pies. Every once and a while we will drive over to Robbinsville to DeLorenzo's, one of the old relocated Chambersburg joints. Have been meaning to try Papa's down the street, another of the old Burg ex-patriots. Has anyone been there?

I swear every freakin' day is a "day" now and it takes away from truly GREAT ones like this! Of course, we all know where I'd go if I could today...Deeeee-Los baby!!!

08aca2e31aa619af97e1aecb2c952a33.jpg
D Lo's (when it was on Hamilton Street in Trenton) was in my top three, along with Vic's in Bradley Beach and Pete N Elda's in Neptune.

Still haven't been to the new DeLorenzo's location in Hamilton, NJ.

@bac2therac These people at Rutgers clearly enjoying national pizza day. Joking...well at least one of them was.

Man they must all be from Philly.

Warning - NSFW.

Pizza tends to make your clothes shrink. Greatest name for a pizza joint. Sounds like an inside joke to me. The real Vinnie probably resembles your friend.
Rut this is not only funny but so true. I just flew up a week ago for the Indiana hoops game and as usual I ate my way thru NewJersey pizza, fried hot dogs and pork roll places. Went to Federici’s In Freehold and really thought their pizza was awesome. Plane seatbelt barely buckled on way home.

Reactions: RutHut
Had a slice from a brick oven place in metuchen a few months back on the main drag there. Near menlo I like Anthony’s. It’s a chain though and I know some people don’t approve . But tasy coal fired pizza and wings.
Nunzio’s Sayreville another good spot and has very good food and byob.
I’m with you on Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza. Even though it’s a chain, it’s right up there with the best pizza anywhere. The difference is their sauce. Reservoir Tavern in Parsippany is also a top choice.

I've had bad ice cream, bad meat, bad salads, bad desserts but pizza is one of the few foods where bad pizza is still pretty good just simply inferior to even better pizza. Can't say that about a ton of other things.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I don’t get “National” pizza day. Pizza only exists in NJ and NY. The rest of the country has nothing to celebrate.
Sorry, gotta include the Philly area and most of CT/RI, especially New Haven, which has a couple of the best, most iconic pizza places on Earth - see the Pizza Belt article and map, which I think is pretty accurate, with the main point being not that you can't get good pizza outside of the Pizza Belt, but that on average the pizza in the Pizza Belt is way better than the average pizza in the hinterlands. I can stop in just about any strip mall in NJ and get good to great pizza - not true everywhere else.

http://gawker.com/the-pizza-belt-the-most-important-pizza-theory-youll-r-743629037

c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

I’m with you on Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza. Even though it’s a chain, it’s right up there with the best pizza anywhere. The difference is their sauce. Reservoir Tavern in Parsippany is also a top choice.
We might just have to revoke your Pizza Belt Card. Just kidding - I like Anthony's - not amazing but good, IMO and the wings are very good.

yes grew up eating that...there used to be no pizza place in Hillsborough in the 70s..actually I think there was one but Manville was a staple...they used to have half price pizzas on their anniversary where people including me would be lined out the door...getting as many pies as possible for $3 or 4. Have not been in quite a while and they moved from the shopping center to the main st in manville
Nina's was in Hillsborough, mid 70's, Rt 206S just before Amwell Rd traffic light. Pizza was OK, but a large calzone just fit in a normal pizza box. OK for local fare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT