ADVERTISEMENT

Happy with what I saw (and heard) today!

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
Back from the exhibition game and I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. Some real quick observations based on the game and conversations with some old friends. First regarding the team's performance:
  • Defense should be much better this year. There were times where every player on the floor was locked in. Also, there was lots of communication between the guys on switches, screens, etc. Paul looks to be improved, Cam is pesky, and Simpson looks like he can grow into an above average defender.
  • I saw a foundation for being a better rebounding team, but our hands weren't the best today with pulling them down cleanly. We were also rebounded by Fairfield, which I wasn't happy about but Jay Young team's are always good rebounders. I'll chalk this up to a bad day, but this is something to monitor.
  • Ball movement was off the charts today. It's the best I've seen it in the Pike era. We have an unselfish team and if we can show that we can knock down shots, we'll be a tough out. I think we had 20 something assists on 30ish made baskets. Pretty good.
  • Paul is built. He's definitely working with a grown man's body now. I'd like to see him shoot more, but he is as confident as ever.
  • Mag does so many little things really well. He has a knack for putting himself in the right spot to make something happen. Also looks to be a very good rebounder.
  • Hyatt looked much improved. I think we're going to get solid contribution from him this year. He was confident. I think last year he was out of his element with Ron and Geo running the show.
  • Cam had an off day. He seems to me to a Peter Kiss type player (the MAAC Kiss, not the RU one). He knew his shot was off today and he made the best of it. Hoping it was just an off day today, otherwise I can see Simpson eating into some of his minutes
  • Simpson was probably the biggest surprise for me. Dude looks like a better version of freshman Geo. He has a nice stroke, but also can get to the rim. Also played decent defense. You can tell he's still getting used to the speed of the college game. He's used to being the fastest player on the court by a mile, but in college that's not always going to be the case. I'm thinking he might be able to contribute 8-10 ppg
  • Cliff seemed a little rusty and still had 19 & 9. I have a hunch we were watching a 80% effort Cliff today. Pike rode Cliff for the first 5 minutes, but then we moved away from that strategy. One thing Cliff is going to see a lot this season is double teams and players collapsing on him. Again, if we can hit shots our perimeter players will feast
  • Going back to the ball movement, we were definitely running offensive sets. I think @kyk1827 will finally come around ;)
  • Woolfolk impressed as well. I have to give Pike credit for bringing in kids who are coming in with college-ready bodies as freshmen. We haven't really ever had that since I've been a fan. I think he'll be able to give us valuable minutes when needed
All in all, I was impressed. I think we should be a solid 6/7 team in the B1G. Also hearing some good things about the future.

Back from the exhibition game and I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. Some real quick observations based on the game and conversations with some old friends. First regarding the team's performance:
  • Defense should be much better this year. There were times where every player on the floor was locked in. Also, there was lots of communication between the guys on switches, screens, etc. Paul looks to be improved, Cam is pesky, and Simpson looks like he can grow into an above average defender.
  • I saw a foundation for being a better rebounding team, but our hands weren't the best today with pulling them down cleanly. We were also rebounded by Fairfield, which I wasn't happy about but Jay Young team's are always good rebounders. I'll chalk this up to a bad day, but this is something to monitor.
  • Ball movement was off the charts today. It's the best I've seen it in the Pike era. We have an unselfish team and if we can show that we can knock down shots, we'll be a tough out. I think we had 20 something assists on 30ish made baskets. Pretty good.
  • Paul is built. He's definitely working with a grown man's body now. I'd like to see him shoot more, but he is as confident as ever.
  • Mag does so many little things really well. He has a knack for putting himself in the right spot to make something happen. Also looks to be a very good rebounder.
  • Hyatt looked much improved. I think we're going to get solid contribution from him this year. He was confident. I think last year he was out of his element with Ron and Geo running the show.
  • Cam had an off day. He seems to me to a Peter Kiss type player (the MAAC Kiss, not the RU one). He knew his shot was off today and he made the best of it. Hoping it was just an off day today, otherwise I can see Simpson eating into some of his minutes
  • Simpson was probably the biggest surprise for me. Dude looks like a better version of freshman Geo. He has a nice stroke, but also can get to the rim. Also played decent defense. You can tell he's still getting used to the speed of the college game. He's used to being the fastest player on the court by a mile, but in college that's not always going to be the case. I'm thinking he might be able to contribute 8-10 ppg
  • Cliff seemed a little rusty and still had 19 & 9. I have a hunch we were watching a 80% effort Cliff today. Pike rode Cliff for the first 5 minutes, but then we moved away from that strategy. One thing Cliff is going to see a lot this season is double teams and players collapsing on him. Again, if we can hit shots our perimeter players will feast
  • Going back to the ball movement, we were definitely running offensive sets. I think @kyk1827 will finally come around ;)
  • Woolfolk impressed as well. I have to give Pike credit for bringing in kids who are coming in with college-ready bodies as freshmen. We haven't really ever had that since I've been a fan. I think he'll be able to give us valuable minutes when needed
All in all, I was impressed. I think we should be a solid 6/7 team in the B1G. Also hearing some good things about the future.
Okay, you just can’t end it like that. LOL

Okay, you just can’t end it like that. LOL
Agree with most comments. Pleasantly surprised. Cliff started out dominant. Paul looked like he had another gear if he wanted, and still played well. Mag look sleak. Simpson was all that. One thing bothered me. Mid way through the second half Fairfield was over 50% from three. We shot poorly from three. Happened a lot last year. Fairfield heaved some desperation threes at the end to bring their % down. We’ve got to improve our D at the arc.

Some observations from my end:

- Thought Derek Simpson played terrific. Very poised / had nice 3 point stroke and nice nifty passer. Looks like Geos younger brother. Pike has a lot of confidence in him

- Cliff took some 3 pointers hitting 2 i believe. You can tell this is Cliffs team now.

- Spencer was off. Played a lot of minutes. He didn’t look that athletic or quick but I’m not overly concerned as Pike loves him and he has good genes

- Defensive rebounding remains a concern. Caleb didn’t play so he will help once he returns and hopefully Woolfolk will as well. He’s a built dude.

- Dean Reiber only played a few minutes. Don’t know if he’s stlll ailing as I know he missed time earlier in season.

- Jalen Miller played very little and Simpson is way ahead of him on depth chart and talent.

- Oskar Palmquist was a DNP

- From a ball handling and leadership perspective , this is Paul’s team without question

- Mag and Hyatt played well - especially Mag. Mag seems much more confident and is involved on both ends of ball.

Overall liked what I saw today.

Oh. I forgot to add the bit about 3 pt defense. On paper it looked bad and it can definitely be improved but Fairfield was hitting 3s that were defended decently. I don’t think we’ll see B1G hitting 3s like that so I’m in wait and see mode on that. Let’s see how we look after a few games. If Fairfield didn’t hit the 3s, this game is a blowout.

And we didn’t have Caleb and a very limited Dean so we will be more than fine

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Simpson showed some flare and moxie and actually made a couple of threes but, boy, is he skinny. Not sure how tall he is but definitely not in the “big guard” mold we’ve gotten used to under Pikiell.

It’s one exhibition game, blah blah blah but Spencer never seemed to get open for any open looks and for a guy who’s supposed to be a shooting assassin his teammates sure didn’t look for him either. He played right up to the end so he got plenty of minutes to get untracked and never really did.

Mag is a dynamo. I know the shooting percentage doesn’t look great but he’s ultra springy and is going to be on the floor A LOT. There’s a totally different energy when he’s out there. I think it’s always been in him but those injuries have just really derailed him.

Last edited:
What’s our thoughts on Hyatt?
Last year it always seemed like ball movement stopped whenever he got the ball. Then a miss/bad play followed a lot.
Can’t say I remember him passing the ball more today, but he looked better. After all the Chol hype preseason I was starting to think Hyatt may be down in the pecking order. Right now it looks like the upperclassman has the upperhand.

Sorry, but to me Cam and Kiss are very different players. Kiss was shoot first/only. Cam waits for a good shot to come, only worry is if he can get to a good shot. We saw today his ability to get some separation on the pick and roll. I think we could build the offense around him a bit more.

What’s our thoughts on Hyatt?
Last year it always seemed like ball movement stopped whenever he got the ball. Then a miss/bad play followed a lot.
Can’t say I remember him passing the ball more today, but he looked better. After all the Chol hype preseason I was starting to think Hyatt may be down in the pecking order. Right now it looks like the upperclassman has the upperhand.
Yea Hyatt way above Chol in the pecking order to start the season at least. Hyatt was more efficient, under control, and confident. Let's hope that carries over to the season and B1G play

Hyatt will play significantly less though when Calen is back taking 30 min a game

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Cam was off but you can see he plays good team defense and doesn’t do stupid things with the ball. I think he’ll be a piece of the puzzle but don’t expect him to dominate any conference games.

Cam was off but you can see he plays good team defense and doesn’t do stupid things with the ball. I think he’ll be a piece of the puzzle but don’t expect him to dominate any conference games.
Cam is a strong ball handler and passer. He will have games where he is hot from 3 but he can do some little things to help even if he doesn't have a great shooting night

Expecting and getting solid play from Paul and Cliff, it was great to see how well Mag performed especially around the rim (although misfired on a few) and Hyatt was real efficient and strong to the rim. I didn't expect much from Simpson but he was so good that if he plays like this he will warrant big minutes. Woolfolk is a tough defender and looks to be a good backup for Cliff. It would seem once Caleb is back, we have enough solid experience to get back to the tournament again.

Reactions: Scangg
I admittedly didn’t watch, but put me in the camp of not concerned about Cam at all. Guys have off nights, and his teammates have RAVED about his shooting and work ethic.

I’m moreso glad to hear his defense translates - remember, he averaged more steals than Caleb last year. Obviously I don’t expect him to keep those numbers with the step up in competition, but he certainly shouldn’t be a liability.

I admittedly didn’t watch, but put me in the camp of not concerned about Cam at all. Guys have off nights, and his teammates have RAVED about his shooting and work ethic.

I’m moreso glad to hear his defense translates - remember, he averaged more steals than Caleb last year. Obviously I don’t expect him to keep those numbers with the step up in competition, but he certainly shouldn’t be a liability.
Cam is one of those pesky defenders that picks his spots. Seems like he gets by on smarts more so than athleticism. I would expect his steals to be a different variety than Caleb's. Caleb clogs passing lanes, while Cam (at least today) will pick up some steals on help defense.

Like was I saw today on offense and ageee with most comments

the defense ? Not so good in the first half, a little better in the sexond half

biggest issue I saw was new guys getting over ball screens. Plus some slow rotation

I’m being a little critical …since we are yet in November and there is a lot of the defense issues that I saw can be cleaned up …

First thing Pike said in the presser was we will be doing a lot of defensive drills tomorrow. Also said we will rely a lot on the veterans until the younger guys get their feet wet.

Although Cam was not in rhythm with his shooting, I was impressed with his overall game including his athleticism and tenacity. He got to the basket on a few occasions. As far as the other newcomers, am really impressed with Simpson… and Woolfolk in his more limited minutes.

Rewatched the game. This team is good. Cam looks even better the second time around and you can see why Pike seems to love him. If he shot the ball well, everyone would be raving about him. His shot wasn't on tonight, but he looked good everywhere else.

Cam is a strong ball handler. He can be a calming presence when things get hairy out there. He doesn't rush and is smart with the ball. Uses his body well to shield. Very good passer. We may want to have the ball in his hands to penetrate and pass. He had a few very good looks

He plays the passing lanes excellently. This is tje strength of his defense. Reads plays well. Quick hands. He seems to lull you asleep looking like he is moving slow then quickly darts for a step. That change of pace catches people off guard

Dove on the floor multiple times. Everyone loves that. Some crafty moves to the basket

Rewatched the game. This team is good. Cam looks even better the second time around and you can see why Pike seems to love him. If he shot the ball well, everyone would be raving about him. His shot wasn't on tonight, but he looked good everywhere else.

Cam is a strong ball handler. He can be a calming presence when things get hairy out there. He doesn't rush and is smart with the ball. Uses his body well to shield. Very good passer. We may want to have the ball in his hands to penetrate and pass. He had a few very good looks

He plays the passing lanes excellently. This is tje strength of his defense. Reads plays well. Quick hands. He seems to lull you asleep looking like he is moving slow then quickly darts for a step. That change of pace catches people off guard

Dove on the floor multiple times. Everyone loves that. Some crafty moves to the basket
I felt the same way watching him play. While his shot didn’t fall he was aggressive in many other ways esp on defense

Reactions: Scangg
Fairfield is going to compete to win the MAAC. They looked pretty good. Jay Young is a good HC. (IMO) Fairfield would be only behind the "names" in our OOC schedule: Temple, Miami, SHU, and Wake. They'd be the next toughest opponent (imo).

I consider yesterday a nice showing against a decent OOC opponent without Caleb McConnell.

Fairfield is going to compete to win the MAAC. They looked pretty good. Jay Young is a good HC. (IMO) Fairfield would be only behind the "names" in our OOC schedule: Temple, Miami, SHU, and Wake. They'd be the next toughest opponent (imo).

I consider yesterday a nice showing against a decent OOC opponent without Caleb McConnell.
I was surprised with how good Fairfield looked. They had more length and athleticism than I was expecting. They also shot the 3 very well.

I actually was thinking this team probably wins their conference. Maybe I should bet on their over for wins 🤣

Jay Young is a hell of a coach. Will always root for Fairfield and Young. His success will only help keep the pipeline of assistants strong when we eventually lose someone like Knight to a HC job

I was surprised with how good Fairfield looked. They had more length and athleticism than I was expecting. They also shot the 3 very well.

I actually was thinking this team probably wins their conference. Maybe I should bet on their over for wins 🤣

Jay Young is a hell of a coach. Will always root for Fairfield and Young. His success will only help keep the pipeline of assistants strong when we eventually lose someone like Knight to a HC job
Agreed, they have some nice pieces. ESPN picked them as the sleeper team in their league. The fiasco at Manhattan won't hurt them either.

Think Cliff should make assists his number one desire. if it is jams and points, the doubles and triples he will see could disappoint him resulting in "trying too hard"... but if he tells himself assists are what he is after.. that will lead to more open shots for himself and keep him from pressing too much and getting some offensive fouls because of all the collapsing that will happen.

found some video highlights

Last edited:
Reactions: zebnatto
Observations from not observing.....

Fairfield was 15-18 (8-12) last year in the MAAC
Fairfield was ranked 231st in adjusted offensive efficiency last year
Fairfield played 10 guys 10+ minutes and no one played more than 30 (they appeared to treat i like a scrimmage)
We played 6 guys 10+ minutes and played all starters over 30 minutes (we treated it as a game it appears)

There were 65 defensive possessions and they scored 65 points
They outrebounded us 13/37 35.1% to 11/33 33.3%

History lesson......
We started last year with hope with new players to infuse depth in to our team
We started awful and the season was turned by changing the rotation to those that will defend (especially 3 line) at the Purdue game

BEING A NOT GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM THIS YEAR IN NON NEGOTIOABLE!!!!!!

It is almost irrelevant to get giddy about anyone's offensive performance if their D cant get them on the court.

The boxscore has a look like an early season Rutgers game from last year.

Some don't want to hear this, but anyone paying attention over the past 6 (or whatever) years defense is the foundation of the program and it all starts and ends with defense.

Fairfield also had good ball movement. I thought they provided solid competition for us, will definitely help to get us ready for the season. I’m sure we had the same impact on them.

Observations from not observing.....

Fairfield was 15-18 (8-12) last year in the MAAC
Fairfield was ranked 231st in adjusted offensive efficiency last year
Fairfield played 10 guys 10+ minutes and no one played more than 30 (they appeared to treat i like a scrimmage)
We played 6 guys 10+ minutes and played all starters over 30 minutes (we treated it as a game it appears)

There were 65 defensive possessions and they scored 65 points
They outrebounded us 13/37 35.1% to 11/33 33.3%

History lesson......
We started last year with hope with new players to infuse depth in to our team
We started awful and the season was turned by changing the rotation to those that will defend (especially 3 line) at the Purdue game

BEING A NOT GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM THIS YEAR IN NON NEGOTIOABLE!!!!!!

It is almost irrelevant to get giddy about anyone's offensive performance if their D cant get them on the court.

The boxscore has a look like an early season Rutgers game from last year.

Some don't want to hear this, but anyone paying attention over the past 6 (or whatever) years defense is the foundation of the program and it all starts and ends with defense.
The DPOY was out. The defense overall was fine, not great. Fairfield shot the 3 well. They hit some deep and contested 3's

Keep in mind the RAC had like 2k people there. The energy and intensity will be higher in a real game. It won't be as easy to shoot for opposing teams at a packed RAC

Did you ever say the good things you heard about the future? Thanks

Reactions: Degaz-RU and Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT