ADVERTISEMENT

Hard Fought, Good Regular Season

RUKiid

Junior
Feb 4, 2004
Before the season started, we would all have signed up for this result after losing Ron and Geo. The ride has been fun and frustrating at times. The best part is I believe that apathy no longer runs rampant in the fan base. And if the recruiting holds up, we have these players and a few before them to thank for it. They showed what a crazy atmosphere the RAC can be.

Before the season started, we would all have signed up for this result after losing Ron and Geo. The ride has been fun and frustrating at times. The best part is I believe that apathy no longer runs rampant in the fan base. And if the recruiting holds up, we have these players and a few before them to thank for it. They showed what a crazy atmosphere the RAC can be.
Agree would have signed for this at the beginning of the season . Wouldn’t have signed for this 3 weeks ago.

Disagree.

RHJ and Geo were great in their own right, but I felt they were a little ball dominant at times. Perhaps necessary, but from my perspective I thought an increase in bell movement would improve our offensive efforts.

The evidence of this was shown prior to the Cam slump. Ball stayed hot and we constantly got good looks at the hoop.

Recently all of that changed. Guys started to force the issue and take control as individuals.

All of these guys are talented enough to score. That’s why they play D1 hoops. They need to keep the ball hot.

The difference between the two teams was that opposing teams had to game plan for RHJ and to a lesser degree Geo. To defend against us this year all you needed to do was stay close to Cam and don't let Cliff get inside you.
As I've said before we don't have a single guy on this team whose offensive talent is keeping opposing coaches awake at night. Griffiths instantly becomes the most talented offensive player we have in the program the first time he steps on the court next year IMHO.

The difference between the two teams was that opposing teams had to game plan for RHJ and to a lesser degree Geo. To defend against us this year all you needed to do was stay close to Cam and don't let Cliff get inside you.
As I've said before we don't have a single guy on this team whose offensive talent is keeping opposing coaches awake at night. Griffiths instantly becomes the most talented offensive player we have in the program the first time he steps on the court next year IMHO.
yeah but counting on a true baby faced frosh who will now also get B1G defended is not going to be easy. I haven't seen him play and looking forward to it...

That’s hard to say! I disagree that we all would have signed up for this and i expected more and they get it to me for 3/4 of the season.

We were bringing back defensive player of the year 5 th year Senior , 1 st all big ten team pre season big men Cliff , Senior PG in Paul who everyone seems to think is great on the court, two high minutes bench players in 4 star Hyatt and Mag w high praise coming into the year, a sharp shooter transfer in Spencer. Add in contributors like Reiber and touted freshman “ baby Geo” and Wolfe a project but great feet and size. That’s what we had pre season and what we all read about.

This team was better then last years team different but better. Older and more experienced then all its big ten opponents. They went out and showed that night after night. We were 2 nd in the big ten a 4/5 seed with 8 games to go something last years team NEVER came close too despite its success. If Pike could get over his loyalty, or run a successful late game inbounds play, or call a well needed timeout appropriately this team is in the tournament already and not in a play in game.

So I understand the glass half full approach to the year but I disagree. Hobbs and the board disagrees because they offered him another extension and raise in season because this team WAS better. I enjoyed every game and will moving into tomorrow. The regular season was fun but this will be remembered as a better older mature team that the staff helped meltdown.

So no I would have not signed up for that and definitely not signed up for it 3 weeks ago. This regular season was a failure.

They have the big ten tournament band hopefully beyond to end it strong and well like the first 23 games. I will be there and pulling hard ! Go RU

Iowa lost Kegan Murray and Jordan Bohannon;
Illinois lost Kofi Cockburn and Trent Frazier;
Purdue lost Jaden Ivey, Sasha Stefanovic and Trevion Williams;
Wisconsin lost Johnny Davis and Brad Davidson;
Northwestern lost Ryan Young and Pete Nance;
Michigan lost Eli Brooks, Caleb Houstan and Moussa Diabate;
Penn State lost John Harrar;
Michigan State lost Gabe Brown and Max Christie;
Maryland lost both starting guards and has a new coach.

I get Ron and Geo were important players for us but every single team in the conference lost high impact starters and majority of those teams I mentioned are locks for the tournament. If Rutgers ends up in the NIT this season was a massive failure and if the argument is that it's ok we had a bad year because Ron and Geo were gone then thats on Pike for not bringing in better player in the portal like multiple other teams in the Big Ten did to replace key starters

Reactions: RUDivision
ADVERTISEMENT