ADVERTISEMENT

Harper- #3 don bosco vs. #1 Roselle catholic

RUONTHERISE

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2006
Halftime of finals. Haven't caught whole game.

Rc- 30
Dbp- 27

Harper has minimum 9 points

Naz Reid moves well for a big guy.

2 things Harper is a good FT'er and I'm sitting a row away from Bullock glad he's here to support our alma mater

Harper scored 25 at the RAC and was 6-12 on foul shots. He had an off day but he did make 50 % of his free throws. I just hope that Don Bosco can pull out the win over RC.

Reactions: shields
According to twitter RC won 61-54 but Harper scored 33 for Don Bosco. Earlington of Don Bosco who was first team all state last year only scored 5 points.

Roselle Catholic had too much height and athleticism for Don Bosco.Harper had terrific game because he showed the ability to score over 30 points against talented players.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I haven't seen Harper play but he appears to be a late bloomer under the radar type just like Baker.

Garbage time?
Not a negative comment. I watched most of the fourth quarter. Harper had obviously played great to that point, but in the fourth Roselle Catholic pulled away. Harper was obviously tired and missed a few desperation shots when a comeback was still possible, then scored his team's final 8 points on some nice shooting when the outcome was decided, including from draining a couple 3s from very deep. Don Bosco was just overmatched, Harper scored 33 of his team's 54 so that's all you need to know.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Nailed 2 3 pters in the last 30 seconds that were 5 ft behind NBA line but also threw up 2 airballs from 3 pt land as well during the game

His dad was behind me in food line and didn't know it was him until I paid. I knew he was somebody though a couple people came up and shook his hand

Attacked the hoop well.....but my Lions won the game
They had nobody that could match up with Naz Reid

His dad was behind me in food line and didn't know it was him until I paid. I knew he was somebody though a couple people came up and shook his hand

I'm curious... Anyone know how Ron Harper settled in Jersey? I don't think he ever played for a east Coast NBA team.

I think I saw something about his wife being a Jersey native and coach.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
I've seen Harper play a few times and I'm excited. He can handle the ball, sees the court well, good passer and can attack the basket in addition to shooting the 3. Once he gets into our S&C program and works with our coaches, he could be a special player. He's been effective against some strong competition. In last night's game, DB was down only (2) entering the 4th and Harper got Naz Reid in foul trouble with another drive to the basket. Reid picked up his 4th and had to sit but RC is tough and was still able to pull away and then took the air of the ball to shorten game with Reid out. Reid is great and its a shame we couldn't get him despite Pike working really hard. He would be a game changer for sure. Nonetheless, happy to have Harper!!!

Harper has a TON of S&C to do. But I'm hoping that Coach made a find here. I believe last year he averaged something like 10&6, so was a bit under the radar (minus his name).

Harper has a TON of S&C to do. But I'm hoping that Coach made a find here. I believe last year he averaged something like 10&6, so was a bit under the radar (minus his name).
Don't know his stats for this season, but I imagine they're much improved from 10 & 6. This is a great sign!

If he had 20 at halftime, 33 total against a very talented RC team, While still needing to get in better shape, I think that's a very good sign for his future.

This is Not a Myles Powell type situation, who was horribly out of shape prior to his first year. Certainly not as bad as Powell who was like 40 pounds overweight...

Edit- He lost 45 pounds.

Harper does not need to go thru a massive weight loss... Just needs to tone and muscle up.

Last edited:
Very excited to see Harpers game progress. I think he’ll get minutes next year with the right matchups.

After going through the Bullock mess, overweight guys scare me (assuming they don't do the Myles Johnson thing and sit out, lose baby fat, and get academics in the right place going forward -- engineering craziness in this case).

With lineage though, I don't think he'll be allowed to gain another 30 pounds like Bullock did, so I do feel better about the situation. He's definitely the shooting 3 that we need if he can get in shape.

NJ.com lists the scores of Don Bosco games but some games do not have the box scores. I don't think DB reported all of the box scores. Ron did play in 20 of the 21 games that were reported. One game he missed when he was sick or had a minor injury. I forget which it was. However in the 20 games reported he scored 396 points for 19.8 ppg. He had a much better season than last year. His teammate, Earlington made first team All State last year and is going to St. John's next season. In 21 games he had 423 points for 20.1 ppg so the two averaged about the same. I hope Ron can make All State this year as he played much better than Earlington did in the North A Championship game by outscoring Earlington 25 to 10 and last night when he outscored Earlington 33 to 5. He stepped up huge in probably their two biggest games. He also outscored Earlington 17 to 14 vs. Shawnee in the semifinals of the Tournament of Champions.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
After going through the Bullock mess, overweight guys scare me (assuming they don't do the Myles Johnson thing and sit out, lose baby fat, and get academics in the right place going forward -- engineering craziness in this case).

With lineage though, I don't think he'll be allowed to gain another 30 pounds like Bullock did, so I do feel better about the situation. He's definitely the shooting 3 that we need if he can get in shape.
I would actually say Bullock is more athletic NOW than Harper. Harper can shoot though.

Full disclosure never seen him play but from hearing what people have to say about his game and depending on how tall he really is or turns out to be (hehe) it sounds like best case scenario is he could be really really good as a new age four man.

Stretch the floor, attack the rim, contribute on the boards, but probably struggles guarding athletic two guards and wing players. Sounds like where ever he ends up he will not be a plus defender to getting an extra inch or two could really help him in that department.

ADVERTISEMENT