ADVERTISEMENT

Has a school other than Rutgers forced out of state purchase ?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
It is certainly odd having to buy a "home " game for the state university to an out of state venue. Has this ever happened anywhere else or is this a unprecedented? A school requiring its season ticket holders to buy a home game out of state ?
I remember Syracuse played some games at the meadowlands, but not sure if that was part of the season ticket packages . Maybe some old kick off classic games ? Maybe Georgia having to buy for the games in Jacksonville against Florida?
Does army and navy do this ?
I hope we aren't the only school that does this to season ticket holders.

Look at a map. Is there any mileage difference you can find between Syracuse - Meadowlands and Rutgers - Yankee Stadium? Also, Cuse felt the need to play in the metro area and the Meadowlands/Giants/Jets were willing to pay.

Every day a new reason to bitch about the Maryland game. I don't like it but bitching constantly serves no purpose. The person who made this deal is gone. Why don't you write her a letter?

Look at a map. Is there any mileage difference you can find between Syracuse - Meadowlands and Rutgers - Yankee Stadium? Also, Cuse felt the need to play in the metro area and the Meadowlands/Giants/Jets were willing to pay.

Every day a new reason to bitch about the Maryland game. I don't like it but bitching constantly serves no purpose.

What the heck is wrong with you? I wasn't bitching . I asked a yes/no question and you come up with a 2 paragraph bs response that didn't even answer the question ! Grow up

Every day a new reason to bitch about the Maryland game. I don't like it but bitching constantly serves no purpose. The person who made this deal is gone. Why don't you write her a letter?

Julie made the deal in principle but Hobbs had the chance to back out but chose to sign on.

I blame 90% on Hobbs

I believe WVU-JMU at Fed Ex Field in Maryland was a home game for WVU in 2012.

Thank you for being the first in this thread to provide info trying to answer the question. So we think wvu fans had to buy these tickets as part of the season ticket package?

I'm grown up enough to know whining doesn't change a thing.

No one is whining . Just asked a question . Why are you even posting on this thread if you aren't even trying to answer the question? You enjoy creeping and trolling I guess.

UConn just scheduled a HOME game at Fenway vs BC lol

Every CFB Kickoff Weekend game

Games in Ireland and Australia

And like Cuse, a lot of teams are forced to go out of state to play ND - Navy just played them in Jacksonville. I could understand Baltimore or Washington, but I think it was more about the game being a national draw so they didn't care about the proximity to campus.

Tennessee just played Virginia Tech in Car Racing stadium and sold it out with 165,000 people. 30 schools out of ~120 in FBS, or 25%, will play in neutral-site locations this season. And that includes teams like Alabama, and also UMass. Florida, and UConn. Big Ten teams do it - Purdue plays Louisville in Lucas Oil in Indy instead of on campus. This Yankee stadium day is a great opportunity. It is even being branded as Big Ten Day in NYC or something. And we have a chance to sweep the competitions. We should be out there supporting it 100% instead of complaining like we play High school football.

Tennessee just played Virginia Tech in Car Racing stadium and sold it out with 165,000 people. 30 schools out of ~120 in FBS, or 25%, will play in neutral-site locations this season. And that includes teams like Alabama, and also UMass. Florida, and UConn. Big Ten teams do it - Purdue plays Louisville in Lucas Oil in Indy instead of on campus. This Yankee stadium day is a great opportunity. It is even being branded as Big Ten Day in NYC or something. And we have a chance to sweep the competitions. We should be out there supporting it 100% instead of complaining like we play High school football.

How many are FORCED to buy tickets to these games as part of the season tickets and how many of these games are conference games on a neutral field giving up home field advantage and a disadvantage compared to others in conference?

Calling this metal site is crap...

1. This is farther for Maryland than GPSS
2. By forcing us (season ticket holders) to purchase they are ensuring majority of tickets are sold to RU fans

Julie made the deal in principle but Hobbs had the chance to back out but chose to sign on.

I blame 90% on Hobbs
And he's correct: Hobbs was under NO obligation to honor that deal. He bowed to his masters in the Big 10 and bent over the table.
If you are so upset about the Maryland game sell your ticket and don't go
The problem is you won't get back anywhere near what you paid for it. I imagine many of us are just gonna have to eat these worthless tickets.

Northwestern played a home game at Wrigley Field and only could use one endzone

Northwestern to play five football games at Wrigley Field (Paul Myerberg, USA TODAY Sports 1:17 p.m. ET Feb. 5, 2013 )
>Northwestern has played one football game at Wrigley Field in the past, losing 48-27 to Illinois in 2010. That game highlighted the field's need for alterations in order to field semi-annual football games: Because of the limited amount of room between the east end of the field and the right-field wall, both sides had to use one end zone.<
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameo...-chicago-cubs-wrigley-field-football/1893137/

But we are Rutgers fans, damn it.
We are special.
We have won nothing since 2006, yet we are the biggest front runners in the P5.
Thou shall not inconvenience us in the slightest way.
We want all the benefits of the B1G, but don't want to do anything for those benefits.
We are so damn good and sought after, we should tell the B1G to stick their conference where the sun don't shine.
Oh, the horror of having to be inconvenienced and travel another 1-1.5 hours to an iconic stadium.
Let's teach Hobbs a lesson.
Let's wear pink hats and march from the Yellow, Green, Blue, White and Scarlet Lots on the day of the Rutgers - Maryland game demanding that our voices be heard and that we are not going to stand for this microagression.

Haha in this entire thread no one has actually answered the question with actual concrete information. People instead keep naming random neutral site games not knowing if either fan base had it part of their season tickets package. Then you have people arguing about who's whining.

Just because you're local & older than me. Weren't the KickOff Clasics at Giant stadium a home opener for 1 of the teams?

Reactions: demauroj
But we are Rutgers fans, damn it.
We are special.
We have won nothing since 2006, yet we are the biggest front runners in the P5.
Thou shall not inconvenience us in the slightest way.
We want all the benefits of the B1G, but don't want to do anything for those benefits.
We are so damn good and sought after, we should tell the B1G to stick their conference where the sun don't shine.
Oh, the horror of having to be inconvenienced and travel another 1-1.5 hours to an iconic stadium.
Let's teach Hobbs a lesson.
Let's wear pink hats and march from the Yellow, Green, Blue, White and Scarlet Lots on the day of the Rutgers - Maryland game demanding that our voices be heard and that we are not going to stand for this microagression.
It's not an iconic stadium. That one was knocked down.

It's not an iconic stadium. That one was knocked down.
you-don-t-say.png

Just stop with that crap already. It's still an iconic organization and stadium. Missed the other points in my post about RU fans and their special snowflake status? Other fanbases have traveled to Australia, Ireland and NACSCAR tracks without complaint. But we have to travel to NYC (a place we claim as our own) to play in an ICONIC stadium. once in several years, and we are being persecuted. OK, let's start with the "it's not NYC" bullcrap now . . . . .

Reactions: Scarletwoman
So many apples and oranges comparisons here I feel like I went to Delicious Orchards.

The complaining will continue until kickoff or until we hear this will not happen again. If this is an issue you can skip on by if you like since nobody is forcing you to read/comment on thread...unlike what is happening to the season ticket holders.

Reactions: mildone
And he's correct: Hobbs was under NO obligation to honor that deal. He bowed to his masters in the Big 10 and bent over the table.

The problem is you won't get back anywhere near what you paid for it. I imagine many of us are just gonna have to eat these worthless tickets.

I don't think Hobbs accepted the deal to appease the Big Ten. I think he accepted the deal to appease the Yankees.

you-don-t-say.png

Just stop with that crap already. It's still an iconic organization and stadium. Missed the other points in my post about RU fans and their special snowflake status? Other fanbases have traveled to Australia, Ireland and NACSCAR tracks without complaint. But we have to travel to NYC (a place we claim as our own) to play in an ICONIC stadium. once in several years, and we are being persecuted. OK, let's start with the "it's not NYC" bullcrap now . . . . .

That not the point of the original question. I don't get why it so difficult to grasp but he is well aware there are other neutral site games. He is asking if people were forced to buy tickets for them. When Penn State played in Ireland I was not forced to buy tickets for the game as part of my season tickets. When VT and UT played in Bristol they were not forced to buy it as part of their season ticket packages. Rutgers are being FORCED to buy a ticket for the game as part of season tickets which is much different.

Bottom line is if they can't sell enough tickets without forcing people to buy them as part of season tickets then the game should never been Schedule. I don't care if it is Rutgers, Penn State or Alabama. If the game can't sell tickets on its own then it should not be played. I would be just as upset if I had to buy tickets to a game at Lincoln Fincial Stadium for Penn State even though that is even closer to my house then beaver stadium.

That not the point of the original question. I don't get why it so difficult to grasp but he is well aware there are other neutral site games. He is asking if people were forced to buy tickets for them. When Penn State played in Ireland I was not forced to buy tickets for the game as part of my season tickets. When VT and UT played in Bristol they were not forced to buy it as part of their season ticket packages. Rutgers are being FORCED to buy a ticket for the game as part of season tickets which is much different.

Bottom line is if they can't sell enough tickets without forcing people to buy them as part of season tickets then the game should never been Schedule. I don't care if it is Rutgers, Penn State or Alabama. If the game can't sell tickets on its own then it should not be played. I would be just as upset if I had to buy tickets to a game at Lincoln Fincial Stadium for Penn State even though that is even closer to my house then beaver stadium.
Was not responding to the OP. But in response to your post, it's not fans are being asked to travel some extraordinary distance to go to the new Yankee Stadium. The irony in some of the whining is the "extra time" it will entail to get to the stadium coupled with the lost tailgating. For most tailgaters, this is a net zero in time lost. Understand some folks' angst over losing out on a day of tailgating, one of the best parts of the game day experience--that is the strongest case for complaint. We usually don't tailgate, and this is going to add about 4 hours to our game day experience, plus the expense of the commute to Yankee stadium. It is inconvenient, but no amount of complaining is going to reverse the decision.

It is certainly odd having to buy a "home " game for the state university to an out of state venue. Has this ever happened anywhere else or is this a unprecedented? A school requiring its season ticket holders to buy a home game out of state ?
I remember Syracuse played some games at the meadowlands, but not sure if that was part of the season ticket packages . Maybe some old kick off classic games ? Maybe Georgia having to buy for the games in Jacksonville against Florida?
Does army and navy do this ?
I hope we aren't the only school that does this to season ticket holders.

It is pretty unlikely that another state university has held a home game in an out-of-state venue and included it in season ticket packages.

While there are lots of examples of state universities holding home games off campus and including those in season ticket packages, distance prevents most out-of-state venues from being included in season ticket packages.

To include the ticket in a season ticket package, the off-campus venue needs to be a reasonable distance from the home stadium, otherwise travel logistics become an absurd burden on your season ticket base. A 2-hour drive is probably the upper limit of where you could reasonably expect your season ticket holders to travel, and even that is pushing it. 60-90 minutes is a more likely limit.

Rutgers to Yankee Stadium, while inconvenient, is doable. It is about 50 minutes from Rutgers Stadium to Yankee Stadium, and since a good portion of Rutgers fans live north of Rutgers Stadium, the trip would be even less for them. There are only a handful of other state universities where a similar trip would be doable: Univ Maryland to Nationals Park in DC (20 min), UConn to Gillette Stadium (80 min), UDel to Lincoln Financial Field (45 min), WVU to Heinz Field (75 min), and Univ Kentucky to one of the Cincinnati stadiums (80 min).

While there are other state universities near state lines (it is about 30 minutes from Florida State to the Georgia State line), there are no nearby stadiums across the state lines.

By the way, when Maryland played Penn State in Baltimore in 2015 (35 minutes), it was part of the season ticket package for Maryland.

we'll give up fan advantage only if nobody goes and the 2000 Mary fans out number us..

So many apples and oranges comparisons here I feel like I went to Delicious Orchards.

The complaining will continue until kickoff or until we hear this will not happen again. If this is an issue you can skip on by if you like since nobody is forcing you to read/comment on thread...unlike what is happening to the season ticket holders.
Nobody is forcing you to read/comment on my comments on threads. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Just get a kick out of some folks who are making this their own personal Waterloo. Certainly understand some degree of angst. But it is done, and not going to be reversed.
Starting to wonder how much they are going to make this like our "home" stadium.
Will the cannon crew be there?
The horse?
The horse video?:grimace:

It is pretty unlikely that another state university has held a home game in an out-of-state venue and included it in season ticket packages.

While there are lots of examples of state universities holding home games off campus and including those in season ticket packages, distance prevents most out-of-state venues from being included in season ticket packages.

To include the ticket in a season ticket package, the off-campus venue needs to be a reasonable distance from the home stadium, otherwise travel logistics become an absurd burden on your season ticket base. A 2-hour drive is probably the upper limit of where you could reasonably expect your season ticket holders to travel, and even that is pushing it. 60-90 minutes is a more likely limit.

Rutgers to Yankee Stadium, while inconvenient, is doable. It is about 50 minutes from Rutgers Stadium to Yankee Stadium, and since a good portion of Rutgers fans live north of Rutgers Stadium, the trip would be even less for them. There are only a handful of other state universities where a similar trip would be doable: Univ Maryland to Nationals Park in DC (20 min), UConn to Gillette Stadium (80 min), UDel to Lincoln Financial Field (45 min), WVU to Heinz Field (75 min), and Univ Kentucky to one of the Cincinnati stadiums (80 min).

While there are other state universities near state lines (it is about 30 minutes from Florida State to the Georgia State line), there are no nearby stadiums across the state lines.

By the way, when Maryland played Penn State in Baltimore in 2015 (35 minutes), it was part of the season ticket package for Maryland.

Thank you for trying to answer the question. Maybe nj.com or asbury press can research this topic and get us an accurate answer.

If true that would totally go against the idea he "gets it."
One of the reasons I think it is reasonable for fans to continue to complain.

I don't think he "Got" it when he inked the deal with the Yankees, and I think he was surprised at the backlash. Based on his comment on the radio show, I'm still not convinced he "gets" it now.

Reactions: mildone
One of the reasons I think it is reasonable for fans to continue to complain.

I don't think he "Got" it when he inked the deal with the Yankees, and I think he was surprised at the backlash. Based on his comment on the radio show, I'm still not convinced he "gets" it now.
Probably correct. As acting AD at Seton Hall, he got Pirates hoops games moved to the Prudential Center, and I believe this was a successful move. Maybe he sees a parallel here that he can get to work with RU football playing at Yankee Stadium.
I don't know if adding the wrestling match is really going to boost interest and ticket sales for the game. It's going to be a long day as it is already with a 2+ hour commute to Yankee Stadium.
Wonder if they will survey season ticket holders after the game to get their feelings and thoughts on the experience after the game.

ADVERTISEMENT